Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Only have lost 7 pounds (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804979-only-have-lost-7-pounds.html)

jerickson 05-29-2013 05:23 AM

Only have lost 7 pounds

I started Atkins on May 13,2013 and have only lost 7 pounds:sad: I started working out with weights 3x week, walk every day, and cardio every day. My brother plays safety at Coe College here in Iowa and is going to school for physical therapy sports injury, he is a junior. He has been putting me through some pretty heavy duty weight workouts. My question is, could I be changing fat to muscle, therefore not dropping pounds quickly?

I am very on top of my eating and am sticking strictly with 20 grams of carbs a day. Here are a couple of sample menus:

3 eggs scrambled with water no milk
3 bacon

EAS Advantedge Carb Control Protein Shake

Snack sugar free jello (one individual pack)

Chicken breasts in the crockpot with 1 cup broccoli

3 eggs
3 bacon

EAS shake

2 hamburger patties

One big pickle

I don't feel hungry like when I first started, I am just getting frustrated with watching the scale go up then down in a yo-yo pattern. Help please!

Ntombi 05-29-2013 05:31 AM

First of all, seven pounds in two weeks is good! What kind of loss were you expecting?!

Secondly, if you're doing intense workouts, your muscles need to hold onto water to recover and repair, so you're probably retaining a bit of water, which is hiding a bit more fat loss. The scale doesn't show the whole story.

Thirdly, people who don't have a lot to lose in the first place don't lose huge amounts in the first two weeks. Seven pounds is about right.

Fourthly, a warning: your loss is going to slow down, because the first couple of weeks shows a lot of water loss. Fat loss takes longer. Be patient.

And lastly, the scale is going to bounce. Either get used to it or weigh in less often.

jerickson 05-29-2013 05:42 AM

I have seen a lot of posts about people losing 14 pounds in 14 days, so my 7 pounds doesn't seem like much. I feel like I am one of those people that have a lot to lose since my healthy weight range is from 115-147 which means at the high end I have 40 pounds to lose and for my goal I have about 60 pounds. I started at 192 so I thought it would come off faster since I am obese.

Elgar 05-29-2013 05:53 AM

You are eating a huge amount of protein and that will hinder weight loss. Switch to more fat and less protein. Perhaps eat a large salad each day as well. More vegetables will help keep you regular which also will help with weight loss. If you are new to working out, as someone else said, your muscles will retain water. Are you losing inches -- that is the mark of whether you are losing fat or not. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, so if you are losing fat and building muscle, it might not show up on the scale but will with the measuring tape.

Ntombi 05-29-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerickson (Post 16444815)
I have seen a lot of posts about people losing 14 pounds in 14 days, so my 7 pounds doesn't seem like much. I feel like I am one of those people that have a lot to lose since my healthy weight range is from 115-147 which means at the high end I have 40 pounds to lose and for my goal I have about 60 pounds. I started at 192 so I thought it would come off faster since I am obese.

The people you're seeing who have lost that much in two weeks likely have much more to lose than you. Trust me, I've been here for a long time, and it's almost always people who have like 75+ to lose who lose in the double digits.

snowdancer79 05-29-2013 06:29 AM

7 lbs is great for 2 weeks! Don't get discouraged!

Pami 05-29-2013 06:44 AM

Realistically- if you go by the book- you should expect to lose 10% of the
total amount you need to lose, in the first 2 weeks.

Thereafter, average loss would be about the average for any diet, strictly
followed, or 1% of your total body weight per week.

avid 05-29-2013 06:52 AM

I agree with the other posters.
You are being way too hard on yourself.
Your weight loss has been great, so don't be discouraged.
MEANINGFUL weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.
Most of us here have lost weight quickly, only to gain it back.
To really get trim, and stay that way, you have to change your lifestyle.
Your new low carb way of eating will drop the pounds, and if you stick with
it for health reasons after reaching your goal weight, then they will stay off.
Be confident that you will succeed, be patient.
It happened for me, it can certainly happen for you.

84k 05-29-2013 07:03 AM

DON'T complain about a 7lb loss, that's great. :) any loss is a good loss.
I was 280, need to lose 90 and only dropped 4lbs in the first 16 days.

clackley 05-29-2013 07:24 AM

Congrats on your 7lbs. - that is a great start.

I think your expectations may be too high but a couple of other things. The excessive exercise can and will slow and even stop weight loss due to putting too much stress on your body (cortisol release/stress).

Your menu looks pretty devoid of fat. You are reducing to the point of almost ellimination of carbs and that only leaves 2 macro nutrients, one of which is protein which needs to be moderate and then fat. Fat is the fuel for ketosis and the energy you need to provide your body especially while training it to be a fat burner rather than glucose.

Hope that is of some help.

kbeth 05-29-2013 07:30 AM

Yep...too much protein, not enough fat and veggies. 7 lbs is great!!

suzanneyea 05-29-2013 08:07 AM

I had weeks at actime when I lost no weight.

SweetMe678 05-29-2013 08:08 AM

A huge 14 pounds in 14 days would be great for everyone, sadly it doesn't really work that way for many. :D

I'm going to chime in on the muscle gain part. Depending on how active you were before you started, yes you may have gained some muscle weight. Have you taken any measurements? I love using them as a way to track my body.

When I started seriously gaining some muscle on my legs, I GAINED 3/4" on my thighs! But I lost everywhere else, so I was okay with that. The next month, I had lost all over. I've now gained on my arms, which again, I'm okay with, it means that I am a lot stronger and my arms look better than they did.

Also I am going to go with everyone else, up the fat some

natural_born_texan 05-29-2013 08:33 AM

I think a 7lb. weight loss is good for 2 weeks. Maybe you would have lost more, but sounds like you are gaining muscle. Just hang in there, you'll start seeing results soon. The scale is not the only factor.

mainemom 05-29-2013 10:51 AM

Here's something to keep in mind: 7 pounds in 2 wks is GREAT. Without LC, where would you have been in those same 2 wks? When you read the 14 lbs in 2 wks tales, those really are the exceptions rather than the rules. Another thing to remember. If you're in this for the long haul, you have to realize that LC is not another fad diet and doesn't make false claims that you'll lose tons of wt in a few wks. LC is a new way of living, a lifestyle. Many, many people have great success long term with LC and accept a LC lifestyle for life, me included. I will NEVER go back to the super high carb diet I used to eat. Not sayin' I don't splurge now and then, and find myself gaining a bit, but I tend to get myself back under control and stay in a healthy range by keeping primarily LC under 50 carbs/day, usu. 20-30. Good luck to you. You're off to an amazing start and the excercise will definitely help give your body a better shape as you take off the weight.

livinlarge 05-29-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elgar (Post 16444826)
You are eating a huge amount of protein and that will hinder weight loss. Switch to more fat and less protein.

A huge amount of protein? I think the example foods listed are for two different days...Would that still be considered too much? :dunno:

Donamo 05-29-2013 11:26 AM

Hey Jerickson!

I'll switch places with you! I've been doing LC for two weeks too and I've only lost 1 to 2 pounds.

Strawberry 05-29-2013 11:33 AM

Too much protein???

I don't consider 3 eggs with a chicken breast for one day, or 3 eggs with 2 little hamburger patties for one day too much protein. The OP is following Atkins induction very well, and frankly its working! He or she is well above the standard 2 lbs/week losses... actually a little over 3 lbs per week lost.

I think you should continue doing what you are doing! A little more protein is good when you are doing heavy duty weight workouts.

suzanneyea 05-29-2013 12:58 PM

I thought it sounded like too little food, it would be way too little for me.

evas 05-29-2013 01:23 PM

Don't feel too badly, usually when people lose "15 pounds in the first week!" it's mostly because internal inflammation is decreasing and their bodies are releasing that water that they've been retaining. They really aren't losing that much fat in one go.

Usually there is a lot of water weight to lose at first because the average American diet tends to rely very heavily on carbs and processed foods, both of which cause a lot of cellular inflammation. When there is such a big change in the way you eat it can cause a whoosh of a loss. If your diet wasn't horrendous to begin with, you likely were not retaining that same amount of water so you might have only seen a 4 pound loss instead of 10.

As for the muscle, it definitely can add weight to your scale, or make your losses go more slowly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!!! When I was working out very hard and hitting the weights I went down a full clothing size but my weight remained the same number on the scale. A pound of muscl takes up much less space than a pound of fat, so you can weigh more but physically be smaller at the same time. The number on the scale is actually one of the worst ways to gauge our health, yet that is what is almost always used. Good case in point - I used to be a size 10, and my mother was the exact same size. However, she weighed 125 pounds and I weighed 165 pounds. That's a huge 40 pound difference but we were the same size!

My advice is to just keep at it, your rate of weight loss is actually very good! My one suggestion is to add more veggies, especially greens, they are SO important! Not as much from a weight loss perspective but from a health perspective. They are bursting at the seams with important micro-nutrients and antioxidants that you can't always get from meat, eggs or dairy. Sure you want to be smaller, but I'll bet you want to be just plain healthier too! If you're specifically following Atkins check which veggies are "allowed" on Induction, I don't do Atkins so I don't specifically know.

ravenrose 05-29-2013 05:57 PM

you are very lucky. keep up the good work. obviously you won't continue to lose this fast, but that's fine. and when you stop low carbing, if you do, you will gain back at least half of that, I bet. I am not being pessimistic. Either get more realistic or you will just be angry and disappointed. a few people have miraculous results. ignore them. some people make $7,000,000 a year too, you know? but we won't.

the scale will always yoyo, just look at the TREND, no one day's number matters AT ALL.

scintillady 05-29-2013 06:18 PM

I have been strict induction since May 3, have been in ketosis since may 4th, and have only lost 4 pounds. If I had lost 7 in 2 weeks I'd be happy. I have the urge to give up, but as one of the other posters said, even if the scale hasn't moved much yet, I feel like I'm in a lot better shape and have lost belly fat, also gone down one size in jeans.

jerickson 05-29-2013 06:20 PM

I want to give a big thank you to everyone for all the replies! I did follow the advice and have actually lost inches everywhere except my calves, which gained. To answer some of the speculation from above, it was 2 days of menus that I posted. Also I personally feel I need that much protein to help my muscles rebuild after lifting. Prior to this lifestyle, I didn't exercise at all and I ate very sugary high carb foods. I will add some more fats and vegetables and keep plugging away. For those of you that posted a smaller loss than me for your first two weeks hang in there and I will too! Thank you everyone!