Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Tansporting fat bombs across state borders? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804972-tansporting-fat-bombs-across-state-borders.html)

Stella_g 05-28-2013 11:24 PM

Tansporting fat bombs across state borders?

I am taking a trip south in a few weeks via plane-- while there we will have a fridge but no stove for making fat bombs. I'd like to bring along some of these beauties and i wonder if anyone has ideas/experiences with transporting these through different temperatures. I'll be traveling alone with my year old son so I'll have plenty of gear and chaos without doing something ridiculous like bringing them in a small cooler with an ice pack. But wrapping them in wax paper and putting them in a tupperware or something? With my layover it will be about 8 hours from leaving the house to arriving at my hotel.. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Janknitz 05-28-2013 11:51 PM

The cooler and ice packs sounds like a plan if you can get through security. How about an insulated lunch pack?? Or stack them in a thermos with a handle?

Or buy the ingredients there, soften in a warm water bath )put hot water in a bowl or cup and put the ingredient bowl on top).

We're traveling next week (no planes) and I'm packing cans of coconut milk, home made low carb granola, coconut oil, coconut butter, nuts. I'll buy full fat yogurt, butter, and cream when we arrive.

Stella_g 05-29-2013 12:03 AM

Right. Do melty fat bombs count as a 'liquid or gel'?? I'd prefer not to bring an extra bag/cooler but maybe I can find something that is small enough to fit in my carry-on. I think you actually get a little loosening of the regulations when you're traveling with a baby (uh, NOT that I recommend exploiting your baby food allowance for fat bomb transport)

Thanks for the homemade double boiler suggestion! That might be the ticket..

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella_g (Post 16444706)
Right. Do melty fat bombs count as a 'liquid or gel'?? I'd prefer not to bring an extra bag/cooler but maybe I can find something that is small enough to fit in my carry-on. I think you actually get a little loosening of the regulations when you're traveling with a baby (uh, NOT that I recommend exploiting your baby food allowance for fat bomb transport)

Thanks for the homemade double boiler suggestion! That might be the ticket..

I think you can probably get away with an ice pack or two if you need it to keep "baby food" cool. Not sure it is worth the hassle though. I think it depends on the recipe you use as to how long they would keep outside of the fridge/freezer. Maybe you could do a test run? Any chance the hotel would have a microwave you could ask to use for your room to make some fat bombs with? Oh, and make sure whatever you do, don't call them "fat bombs" in the airport. Using the word "bomb" could cause some travel delays!

GME 05-29-2013 07:07 PM

Make the fat bombs and put them in tiny baby food jars instead of whatever you usually do (I use ice cube trays). Then if they melt it doesn't matter and you can put them in the fridge at the hotel. Pack them with your other baby food and eat them with a popsicle stick or little spoon.

Jakelilydad 05-29-2013 11:23 PM

Could you freeze them until just before you leave, then wrap them really well in something insulating? That might keep them solid enough until you reach the hotel. I've never made them, so don't know whether they would freeze or not.

Kim in MN 05-30-2013 09:26 AM

Whatever you do -- don't call them fat bombs at the airport. :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Chuck41 05-31-2013 01:01 AM

Might just take ingrediants and make them after you arrive. Coconut oil melts with hot water from the sink and transports well in its jar. Most ingrediants are readily available at most any grocery market.:) have a good trip.