Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Advise on my ketogenic diet? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804929-advise-my-ketogenic-diet.html)

jkc1 05-28-2013 08:29 AM

Advise on my ketogenic diet?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here so I'm really sorry if this threat is in the wrong place :(

I've started a strict ketogenic diet a couple of days ago in an attempt to burn 2-3 kg of excess fat. I was hoping to get some feedback on my diet so far as I'm new to all this. Thank you :)

Breakfast
4 scrambled eggs
24-48g (pure, unflavoured) protein shake
1 'Centrium' multivitamin tablet (as I'm avoiding veg.)
2 BCAA+ tablets

Lunch
Pork chop
4 thin sausages
Boiled egg
5g L-glutamine powder (pure, unflavoured)

Dinner
Two pork chops
4 Sausages
3 Pieces of bacon

• I'm restricting my caloric intake to 1,500 a day (I'm 6ft and 71kg)
  • I'm only drinking water and have kept carbohydrate and sugar intake to nill.
  • I'm trying to consume 200g protein and 100g fat a day

Does this sound all right, or am I missing something drastic? I've done some research but I'm honestly so new to all this.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Ntombi 05-28-2013 03:07 PM

Welcome to the group. Even though you're not following a specific plan, I can tell you right now that your protein and fat goals are upside down. Way too much protein.

When you eat more protein than your body needs, the excess will be converted to glucose and eventually stored as fat (gross oversimplification). It also inhibits your ketosis. Better to eat what your body needs and consume the rest as fat.

And why are you avoiding vegetables at all? Very few people need to eat close to zero carb to be in ketosis.

rubidoux 05-28-2013 03:13 PM

ITA that's a ton of protein. You should find an online calculator where you can figure out how many grams of protein you require and stick pretty close to that number. I'm a smallish woman and I think I need approx 50 grams per day. I'd guess that yours were closer to 90, but that's a stab in the dark.

Ntombi 05-28-2013 03:28 PM

It really depends on your lean body mass and goal weight. My loosy-goosy protein goals are around 100g per day. I'm a large framed woman with about 160 lbs of LBM, which I'm trying to keep as I lose fat.

So I eat fewer than 20g total of carbohydrates, somewhere around 100g of protein (usually a bit more, honestly), and the rest of my calories come from fat.

The only thing I'm firm about is the number of carbs I eat. I'm aware of making choices that mean I won't overdo protein, but I don't count it, and I don't count calories. I'm firmly in ketosis, and losing fat.

ETA: I'm due for another hydrostatic body fat test next month, so I may tweak what I'm doing, but it's clear that I'm losing fat and scale weight.

Hayek 05-28-2013 09:18 PM

I use a calculator to formulate my macros. It can suggest things for you or you can add some variations/changes based on your personal goals. Just remember to update your macros as you progress (monthly/bi-monthly).

However, just from a quick glance, I agree with others that your protein in-take looks high for keto. I'm a male that's 5'10, and my macros are roughly 5-7% of my calories come from carbs, 60-63% from fat, and the remainder from protein (I can't recall my target grams without looking it up, but that's the gist). And I aim for about 1650 calories a day. (With all of these, there are high days and lower days, so I frequently check my weekly average for my macros to stay on track)

Hope that tool helps you out.

Edit:

Looked up my macros. Mind you I'm not doing it as strictly as you, but I aim for 30g net carbs a day (though I'm almost always under 20 in practice), 125g protein (mine is technically on the higher end compared to many keto folks), and 114g from fat.

VivaaLaCarlos 05-28-2013 09:56 PM

how can one get more fat in the diet without the excess protein. i like solid foods so chugging coconut oil and butter isnt my 1st choice lol. i do like coconut butter, i think i like that stuff a lil too much. its very high in fat and trace amounts of carbs

coconut butter
18 g-fat
1.99 g-sugar
2 g-protein

do you guys know of any foods that have a very high fat to protein/carbs ratio such a coconut butter?..

i dont mean to hijack from the OP but this information could also help her as well.

Avy 05-28-2013 10:53 PM

Avocado is my choice for adding to salads instead of protein, when I want to cut down for the day.

cfine 05-29-2013 01:01 AM

This should cover the OP question and VivaaLaCarlos.

Here's a sample of my daily menu. I eat around 75-100grams of protein per day and try to stay at around 15 net carbs.

B-two eggs fried in 1tbsp butter
Two slices turkey bacon
Totals:24 grams protein, 1 net carb

L-two salmon patties, 2oz. Each(I would usem1/2egg to help it stay together) cooked in olive oil
Totals:27 grams protein, 1/2 net carbs

D-3oz. Grilled chicken
16 stalks grilled asparagus
1-2tbsp butter
Totals:24 grams protein, 5 net carbs

S-1 tbsp butter mixed with 1 tbsp cream cheese and liquid stevia OR two small squares of dark chocolate sweetened with stevia

If I get super hungry I might have a slice of cheese or 1oz of nuts.

Hope this helps.

cfine 05-29-2013 01:03 AM

Eating the at throughout the day helps to keep hunger away. If I et too much protein or veggies, I will start to get cravings and hunger.

SharonB61 05-29-2013 12:17 PM

I will agree with what others have said. TOO much protein. I always try to stay below 60g / day.

Emily-D 05-30-2013 04:46 AM

Look at the nutrition information for the sausages. Some of them have a lot of added sugar. You just want to know exactly what you're eating.

And I agree about the protein.

jkc1 05-30-2013 05:25 PM

Wow, thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it!
I had no idea my protein intake was that bad. I am definately getting hungry throughout the day, I guess this explains why.

I've adjusted my protein intake, I'm still at around 140g a day so I'll need to fix that. The calculator I had originally used had said 200g protein, that seems so silly now.

Honestly everyone thank you for your advise!

jkc1 05-30-2013 05:31 PM

I tried using a calculator and I got this. Do you think this sounds sensible?

1400 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
3 g Carbohydrates (1%)
90 g Protein (27%)
104 g Fat (72%)

I'll definitely be sure to look at the sausages as I live off those

Thanks!

Ntombi 05-30-2013 05:38 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure why you're keeping your calories and carbs so low. As a tall guy, you can eat more and lose weight, and like I said upthread, there's no reason at all to keep your carbs near zero. Eating a reasonable amount of veggies (or maybe even dairy) doesn't derail most people.

jkc1 05-30-2013 06:06 PM

I was worried I might end up ruining all the work for the sake of a hot chocolate, but I guess it does make more sense now. I'll try coming off the soya milk and back to dairy as that's the worst for me!
Thank you

Ntombi 05-30-2013 06:11 PM

You're very welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. :)

Mistizoom 05-30-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos (Post 16444614)
how can one get more fat in the diet without the excess protein. i like solid foods so chugging coconut oil and butter isnt my 1st choice lol. i do like coconut butter, i think i like that stuff a lil too much. its very high in fat and trace amounts of carbs

coconut butter
18 g-fat
1.99 g-sugar
2 g-protein

do you guys know of any foods that have a very high fat to protein/carbs ratio such a coconut butter?..

i dont mean to hijack from the OP but this information could also help her as well.

Fat bombs.

avid 05-30-2013 08:50 PM

the easiest way I know of to easily, and substantially increase your intake of calories from fat is to use heavy whipping cream in your coffee.
If your a coffe lover as I am, drinking 3 to 5 cups is typical. Put in two to three tablespoons of hwc and your packing a big punch of fat with a minute amount of carbs.
a tbsp of hwc is usually listed between 50 and 60 calories. Do the math and you can see how easy it is to get 500+ calories a day.