Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I can't eat ANY artificial sweeteners (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804909-i-cant-eat-any-artificial-sweeteners.html)

Laurie14559 05-27-2013 09:48 PM

I can't eat ANY artificial sweeteners

Hi
I would to try some of the recipes but I cannot tolerate any artificial sweeteners.
I have tried them all- splenda, truvia, etc
Any ideas?
I don't use sugar , drink soda.

Mistizoom 05-27-2013 09:56 PM

What happens when you eat artifical sweeteners?

Have you truly tried them all? Some are more natural than others.

Have you tried....

monk fruit (lo han guo)?
pure stevia extract (no erythritol, like is in Truvia, and no fillers?)
liquid stevia drops
stevia that is not extracted (green powder)
sucralose liquid
acesulfame k
tagatose
xylitol
erythritol (without stevia)
saccharine (liquid or powder)
isomalt

there are quite a few others...

avid 05-27-2013 10:40 PM

What are you doing now?
It's hard to find processed food that doesn't have some form of sugar or artificial sweetener in it.
If you are already cooking without any sweeteners than lc should be a snap

Janknitz 05-27-2013 11:52 PM

There's nothing wrong with not eating any sweeteners. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, fish, high fat dairy, vegetables. You'll soon be amazed at how great everything really tastes once your palate recovers from overly salted and sweetened processed food.

If you MUST have something sweet, eat a small handful of berries or a few small cubes of fresh, ripe melon. It will be like eating pure sugar after a long break from sugar and sweeteners.

Laurie14559 05-28-2013 12:13 AM

Wow I have not even heard of some of them but I have tried all the stevia
I get wicked headaches, sometimes even nausea
I don't miss fruits
But I would kill for a slice of cheesecake
I can eat some of the Ross chocolates but I not a chocoholic
Thanks for the responses

Ntombi 05-28-2013 03:00 AM

I can't eat stevia either, nor a few of the others, but I'm fine with liquid Splenda. I use the Sweetzfree brand. Liquid Splenda is also in many sugar free syrups, like those made by da Vinci and Torani, so I buy those as well.

Monk fruit extract is becoming more widely available, and might work for you, but you might have to try a few versions.

I can't use the powdered Splenda, because of the maltodextrin added to it (which is also in most powdered stevia and monk fruit extract products). Maltodextrin gives me a bad reaction.

I make LC cheesecakes with Splenda and it comes out very nicely.

If it turns out you really can't have any artificial sweeteners (which is rare, as they're all so different), it's not the end of the world, and you'll figure a way to enjoy the ocassionally desert without it. Like was said upthread, even a few berries can add a lot of sweetness.

Laurie14559 05-28-2013 12:03 PM

Thank you so much

I will try the liquid splenda....I have only had the powdered.

:high5:

Laurie14559 05-28-2013 12:15 PM

Could you please share your recipe for cheesecake with me? And do I have to order the liquid spenda on line?

Thanks

Mistizoom 05-28-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie14559 (Post 16443873)
Could you please share your recipe for cheesecake with me? And do I have to order the liquid spenda on line?

Thanks

Walmart has some liquid Splenda called "Sucralose to Go". I like the EZ-Sweetz but I do order that from Netrition.

jmc305 05-28-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16444583)
Walmart has some liquid Splenda called "Sucralose to Go". I like the EZ-Sweetz but I do order that from Netrition.

More like "water with a tiny bit of sucralose to go" I have to use triple the amount than i do with real EZ sweetz. It's OK in a pinch, like when you don't want to wait 5 days for shipping, but I don't recommend it very highly.