Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help please..... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804885-help-please.html)

Anha 05-27-2013 01:05 PM

Help please.....

My weight gain is getting out of control. I have been lowcarbing since 2009 and have done rather well on it. Sometime in December I stopped lowcarbing because I was trying to conceive, five months latter I have gained 28lbs and have yet to conceive. I simply cannot continue like this, while trying to conceive I have been on other so call heathy diets and nothing has worked.

Please does anyone know any way I can modify my low carb diet while trying to conceive or is has anyone ever conceived on a low carb diet and what advice was given to them. I am trying to work out my own low carb version.

Please any advice will do, including supplements etc.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to reply.

Pami 05-27-2013 01:07 PM

I didn't know that TTC while LC was contraindicated

suzanneyea 05-27-2013 01:15 PM

I am 41 and got pregnant at 40, while eating zc! I stay very low carb for the pregnancy too. For a healthier pregnancy, stay low carb.

CindyCRNA 05-27-2013 01:23 PM

I was going to agree with the above. If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. I don't believe there is any correlation with LC and decreased conception rates.

Anha 05-27-2013 01:25 PM

Pami- It was all my family talked about and by DH became worried.

Suzan- Didn't you change anything at all?

Are you guys saying I put all this weight on for nothing??!,!?

suzanneyea 05-27-2013 01:31 PM

Yup, that is what we are saying. Go to the women's health section, there are a bunch of low carb pregnancies. When I got pregnant, I ate nothing but steak and burgers for years. I only added in vegetables for my pregnancy. No grains or fruit. I am currently back to zero carb and happily nursing my perfect baby boy right now as I type.
Plus, I was infertile for nine years. I believe low carbs helps fertility.

Gibbs 05-27-2013 02:01 PM

Both times we conceived, I had been low carb for less than 2 months...coincidence or just luck?

Anha 05-27-2013 02:27 PM

Wow, I should have asked here before I stopped it. Apparently being in ketosis is not good for a growing fetus. Did your doctor know you were lowcarbing?

Ntombi 05-27-2013 02:37 PM

That's debatable. There are many women, here and elsewhere, who have stayed in ketosis through their pregnancy with no issues, and many others who ate just enough to keep them out of ketosis, but still low carb.

The warning against ketosis during pregnancy is more of a CYA thing than anything else. Women in certain regions and ethnic groups have carried to full term while in ketosis for millennia. Ketosis is not some unnatural state to be wary of. It's a perfectly natural thing.

Not like arsenic is natural, though. ;)

suzanneyea 05-27-2013 02:55 PM

For millions of years people were hunters. Very little access to carbs. They all had healthy babies. I have friends who stayed zero carb for their pregnancies. Hats off to them! I never discussed my diet with my doctor. IMO, medical doctors know very little about nutrition.

heidihoopi 05-27-2013 02:58 PM

Your way of eating/diet is not your family's business, keep it to yourself and good luck. :up:

Low Carb Librarian 05-27-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbs (Post 16442683)
Both times we conceived, I had been low carb for less than 2 months...coincidence or just luck?

Ha! I was going to say the same thing. This exact thing happened to me.
:)

cheri 05-27-2013 03:39 PM

You may have PCOS.. Many women who have that condition have a lot of problems conceiving so they are put on a low carb plan.. No need to get off of it especially if you are not already pregnant and once you get pregnant you can either up your carbs some if you don't want to be in ketosis but to do that you only need to add some fruits and veggies.. Do not go wild eating anything you want once you are pregnant because you may gain way too much and that isn't healthy for you or the baby either.

Anha 05-27-2013 03:49 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, am in all the way.

GAVIV 05-28-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16442748)
For millions of years people were hunters. Very little access to carbs. They all had healthy babies. I have friends who stayed zero carb for their pregnancies. Hats off to them! I never discussed my diet with my doctor. IMO, medical doctors know very little about nutrition.

THIS ^^^. LC is supposedly very helpful when trying to conceive. Good luck!

cfine 05-28-2013 11:03 PM

I have PCOS. I only got pregnant after LCing too. Good luck!!

Janknitz 05-28-2013 11:29 PM

Low carb, high fat (avoid oils except coconut and olive oil). It's how I conceived at 40 also. A well known fertility doc, Dr. Michael Fox, puts all his patients on LCHF. Not only does it increase healthy pregnancy rates, it may help you avoid morning sickness and gestational diabetes.

If you get pregnant, you can still low carb but up non-starchy veggie carbs and low glycemic fruit if you want to avoid ketosis.

suzanneyea 05-29-2013 12:45 AM

Low carb did nada for my morning sickness. I had horrible ms for the whole nine months! I even took medication for it. Nothing helped.