Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
baked bacon-- thanks Dawnyama

wow, is this stuff good, i believe Dawnyama had a post about it somewhere, and thenn to bake chicken thighs or legs in the left over grease, the bacon is so much better baked than fried, i can't stop eating it, and the chicken baked in is so tasty, i just sprinkled on some seasonings and baked till nice and crispy

thanks again Dawn
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, I almost always bake my bacon. Have for many years. Simpler, less splatter, clearer bacon fat to cook with later (I keep it in a mug in the fridge), easier to cook more at once, and uniform bacon to eat. All wins.

And I very often coat my chicken in bacon fat before seasoning and roasting. Great flavor!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Baked bacon really is, imo, the best thing since sliced bread---er, whoops. Better than sliced bread, much better, for every reason Ntombi states. But do be careful, as to tip or spill the pan in an oven that hot would cause a terrible grease fire. Not to be negative, just passing on a safety tip. Be VERY careful when taking the pan out, not something to do in a hurry.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Anyone microwave bacon? I used to have a pan just for doing this but I think it is long lost.

When you bake it, what kind of pan to do use?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snickygirl
WOE: Atkins
Does anyone bake their bacon in a toaster oven?

Or is the grease splatter too close to the heating elements this way?

Or would covering it with foil first, work in a toaster oven?

(My toaster oven has temp settings / broil / toast etc. And works quite well as a small oven for regular baking. I've just been hesitant to try bacon because of how small it is. Worried about the grease getting all over the heating elements.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Snickygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I hate microwaved bacon. Hate.

I use any kind of pan in the oven, as long as it has a little bit of a lip, but not too high. I tend to use my half sheet pan or jelly roll pan most often, but you can be flexible. I don't use a rack to lift the bacon up, but I know some people prefer that. I like the bacon to sit in the grease as it's cooking.

I haven't done it in a toaster oven, but it'd probably be fine. It doesn't splatter nearly as much as when you cook it on the stovetop.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

i just used my cookie sheet, but i lined in with foil, i am saving the grease to bake some chicken in it for tomorrow---i put it in a cold oven, not preheated, baked it at 375 for about 15 minutes, i think depending on the thickness of the bacon---the longer you bake the crispier it will be, i did get it overdone the first time i tried it, so kept a close eye on it this time, just got done eating my last piece, its addicting---my son was here and had him try a piece and he agreed, better than fried----i love bacon anyway-----we had bacon cheeseburgers for lunch today---yummo...)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
I always bake my bacon
A pound of bacon separated on a rack
Cook at 425 for 24 minutes.
Sometimes I turn the bacon over and sometimes not.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I tried this and it became ridiculously crispy charcoal sticks. I like my bacon still a little pliable. I used a cookie sheet with foil on it for easier cleanup and I baked for around 30 mins at something like 400. I must have screwed something up. I usually do it in the microwave and didn't mind the results but the paper towel can stick to the bacon and that is not cool so I really was hoping for good oven results. Maybe I need less time in the oven or less heat? I wasted the pack of bacon I tried as the results were inedible. I will try one more pack at the temps and time Sunny7 mentioned and see how that turns out.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deosil View Post
I tried this and it became ridiculously crispy charcoal sticks. I like my bacon still a little pliable. I used a cookie sheet with foil on it for easier cleanup and I baked for around 30 mins at something like 400. I must have screwed something up. I usually do it in the microwave and didn't mind the results but the paper towel can stick to the bacon and that is not cool so I really was hoping for good oven results. Maybe I need less time in the oven or less heat? I wasted the pack of bacon I tried as the results were inedible. I will try one more pack at the temps and time Sunny7 mentioned and see how that turns out.
yes, and keep a eye on it--i think at 400 for 30 was probably to much---i actually removed the end pieces before the rest and just moved them around a little on the pan, a couple minutes more and the rest was done perfect this time, my first round was quite crispy but still good, burned bacon is not good
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I usually bake my bacon, but I'm an equal opportunity bacon cooker. I bake, broil, fry, and microwave bacon. When I bake or broil it, I usually use a broiler pan, but sometimes I use a regular pan too. I usually save the microwave cooking for when I'm on vacation and have a room with a fridge and microwave.

I'm not sure why, but I never thought to use the grease to cook chicken with. I do use the grease to cook other stuff, but I don't think I've ever used it for chicken - I will though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deosil View Post
You should start out with less cooking time and then work from there. I usually set the timer at 15 mins and then depending on how cooked it is I cook more. Be careful though because the more cooked it is the faster the remaining cooking time is. It is never the exact same time when I cook. Maybe if I used the exact same bacon and exact same cut it would be.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

I like mine still a bit pliable, right on the edge of crisp. I cook it at 325* for maybe twenty minutes, but I start checking about eighteen minutes in, and take it out when it looks right. The length of time depends on so many factors that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No foil here. I don't see the point, as the pan is very easy to clean. I pour the grease into the mug, and the pan goes into the dishwasher, or gets a quick wash with hit soapy water. It's not baked in or anything.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Thin sliced on 350 for 22-25 mins, thick sliced 375 for the same amount of time. Both always cooked in a cast iron skillet. Keeps the skillet "seasoned" and stick free and you dont have to worry about lining a pan or spills.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #14

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I love baking my bacon
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #15

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I like mine still a bit pliable, right on the edge of crisp. I cook it at 325* for maybe twenty minutes, but I start checking about eighteen minutes in, and take it out when it looks right. The length of time depends on so many factors that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No foil here. I don't see the point, as the pan is very easy to clean. I pour the grease into the mug, and the pan goes into the dishwasher, or gets a quick wash with hit soapy water. It's not baked in or anything.
Ditto! But I buy thick cut applewood smoked bacon so I usually cook it at 400 for 20 min. It takes longer to cook but I still like mine meaty and pliable, just on the verge of crispy. Been baking my bacon for years! Wouldnt do it any other way.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I bake my bacon as well - learned it from Dawn and the other hCG ladies on here, and I won't go back! No grease spatters, much less burning, no crispier, too. All yum!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Hummm I wonder if turkey bacon would come out as good? I think I might try it. I hate splatters, but I have to add fat to cook mine. Anybody else only eat turkey bacon??
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Blech.

Sorry, I mean not me.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I use the rack that I cool cookies on, placed in a foil lined sheet pan.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
One other tip---crinkle up your foil and then spread it out over the pan. The crinkles make for a natural rack of sorts, allowing air in under the bacon. And like so many others here, I'm never going back to frying bacon on the stove top. So messy, and the result is no where near as even and the way I like it as baked.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Ntombi.....
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I'm going to give this a try! I've been thinking about this for quite sometime but had to overcome fear of needing to clean my dang oven.

What do you do with the bacon you don't use right away? I'm thinking I'll bake a pound but only use about 8 slices at a time. Do you freeze it?

Any ideas appreciated!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

I put it in the fridge, but usually I eat it within a day.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #24

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It isn't as messy as you think, as long as you use a pan with a lip. And definitely line the pan.

Deosil, 30 min at 400 is too long, imo.
I do 375 and check it after 15 minutes. When I have the oven loaded up (4 pans bacon, or a couple pans of bacon and another dish), the longest it has taken at 375 is 23 minutes. Don't overcrowd the pan. Sometimes you have to take out a few pieces that get done quicker while leaving those that need a minute or two more.

ETA... I do 4 cookie sheets full for my card party brunches for 12 to 16 people. 9 slices to a pan, so that's 36 slices. I have tons of food at my brunches, and the bacon always gets eaten, every last bite. Everyone loves it.

Last edited by emel; 05-30-2013 at 07:07 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't get the point of lining the pan.

I mean, are other people finding the pans so hard to wash otherwise? I must have different pans or something.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #26

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I put leftovers in the fridge and they are ready to eat and grab. I seriously have an issue with portion control though when it comes to bacon, so there are not a ton of leftovers.

Cold bacon is good, but I do sometimes warm up the leftovers too. If I cook eggs, I just throw a few pieces of bacon in the hot pan after I cook the eggs and it heats up really quick without all the extra grease splatter.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #27

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I don't get the point of lining the pan.

I mean, are other people finding the pans so hard to wash otherwise? I must have different pans or something.
It cooks better for me if I line the pan. It kind of sticks to an unlined pan, and sometimes the strips break a little when I lift them off. With a lined pan they come off effortlessly and perfectly. That being said, I don't use my best cookie sheets when I'm baking bacon, because protein foods can mar their surface. So maybe my sticking issue is because my pans aren't the best.

ETA and it's handy to just ball the foil up and throw it away, when I'm cooking for a dozen people. I don't always save the grease.

Last edited by emel; 05-30-2013 at 08:16 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Well I took a pack of bacon out of the freezer and tomorrow I will take the good advice in this thread and try again. Thanks for the info emel! I will put it at 375 and just hang out in the kitchen and watch it like a hawk since I don't want to waste another pack of bacon. I will let you all know how it works out *fingers crossed*.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/32.2/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I used to bake my bacon all the time, but now that I am usually just cooking for me, I throw a slice or two in a pan and crisp it up on the stovetop. I almost never use the grease, even when I'm making eggs and bacon in the same pan. Find it very unpalatable.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #30

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
wow, is this stuff good, i believe Dawnyama had a post about it somewhere, and thenn to bake chicken thighs or legs in the left over grease, the bacon is so much better baked than fried, i can't stop eating it, and the chicken baked in is so tasty, i just sprinkled on some seasonings and baked till nice and crispy

thanks again Dawn
Just seeing this now. Your welcome
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote