Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Easiest way to get in some veggies

I am deficient in veggies and I would like to incorporate them into my LC diet, but I am lazy

Any ideas??

Don't want to just have celery sticks and carrots.
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Throw them into the crockpot (with some meat for a meal).
Fresh is good, but frozen if you are really into saving time as they are cut up for you.

Saute with some spinach (or whatever you like) and include in an omelette or scrambled eggs.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I find making stirfry is the easiest way to add more veggies in. I'm lazy, too, and just buying veggies doesn't mean I'm going to prepare them. Having them in my main entree works great. Stirfry is very easy, too.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
For my son, I find he likes them in an omlette. He likes salads with mayo or veggies to dip in mayo.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Not sure if you are a salad eater. I love the grab and go of Spring Mix. You can get the baby kale in a box also. I love a really good sliced tomato with salt and pepper. You could pre-chop some stuff on Sunday for grab and go during the week. Even put together salads in Mason Jars and then add your meat/dressing when you are ready to eat.

I make my meatloaf with lots of shredded zucchini. 1 lb. beef, 1 lb. sausage, egg and 2 large shredded zucchini. You can make larger batches. It's great leftover the next day.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
If you can make yourself wash and cut and bag them up right after you buy them, then they are ready to grab and eat or throw in stir fry or salad. I work long busy hours, so when i come home alot of times i will just heat up my skillet with coconut oil and put my chicken breast on one side with a few onions,peppers and put my veggies on the other side(usually broccoli or green beans)with seasonings.Sometimes i have to add a little water or broth also.And i have my one skillet dinner!! I have become a lazy cook. lol
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Buy a bag of cauliflower florets. Dump them in a 13 x 9 baking pan lined with foil. Add a couple tablespoons olive oil, about 1/2 tsp. sea salt and some fresh black pepper. You can add other spices if you wish. I like cumin sometimes. Stir to coat. Bake in a hot oven (anywhere from 375 - 450 F works) for 25- 35 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are cooked to your liking. Serve.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbingMe
Stats: 285.6/265.6/??
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 6/29/14
How about a quesadilla with a low carb tortilla? You can always add onions, peppers and mushrooms to a quesadilla...
LoCarbingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Wow!! Excellent ideas you guys! Thanks so much.

Have a nice Memorial Day!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Not sure if you are a salad eater. I love the grab and go of Spring Mix. You can get the baby kale in a box also. I love a really good sliced tomato with salt and pepper. You could pre-chop some stuff on Sunday for grab and go during the week. Even put together salads in Mason Jars and then add your meat/dressing when you are ready to eat.

I make my meatloaf with lots of shredded zucchini. 1 lb. beef, 1 lb. sausage, egg and 2 large shredded zucchini. You can make larger batches. It's great leftover the next day.
I love salads, but I don't eat them fast enough and the lettuce goes bad. I never heard of putting salads in mason jars! Does that keep them from spoiling?? It is a great idea
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Oh! I buy Eat Smart ready-to-eat veggies. Very little to no prep involved. I usually find a few pieces of broccoli & cauliflower that need to be cut up smaller but that is it. Very little waste & priced about the same as a head of the same vegetable.

I did mention I'm lazy, didn't I? lol.. The less time I have to spend in the kitchen the better.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 05-27-2013 at 09:05 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I put spinach in smoothies. Spianch, frozen berries, protein powder and coconut milk.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I know they are making "breadsticks" and "pizza crusts" out of cauliflower.
I don't- but I have a friend on Facebook that just LOVES this. I've pinned a
couple recipes- I can hook ya up if you're interested.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I found there are fewer carbs in raw veggies. I have one at lunch and a huge one at supper. It is easy to throw a salad together once you do it a few times. Or grab some cukes and cherry tomatoes. Or cut up a red pepper or zucchini sticks. It doesn't always have to be celery and carrot sticks. I use my dressing as a dipping sauce rather than dumping it all over the veggies.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I eat a wider variety of veggies now that I've learned to make some new recipes. I never liked cauliflower until I started making things like Just Like Twice Baked Potatoes and Fried "Rice". Check out Linda Sue's wonderful recipe site:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012

I just made Linda Sue's "My Favorite Coleslaw" with pre-shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix). It took less than 5 minutes and tates great!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Does LCF have lts of veggie recipes? I have heard Linda Sue has some great ones too.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I know they are making "breadsticks" and "pizza crusts" out of cauliflower.
I don't- but I have a friend on Facebook that just LOVES this. I've pinned a
couple recipes- I can hook ya up if you're interested.

Pami I would LOVE those recipes!
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Another fav, not yet mentioned, is to put veggies into an omelet - mushrooms, peppers, onions, with sausage!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Sometimes it's easier for me to buy the precut or preshredded veggies, even though they're more expensive. That way, I can grab a handful and toss them into something easily. Less waste for me.

I buy shredded cabbage for that reason. I make coleslaw often, but I also toss a handful of cabbage into a lot of meals that I otherwise wouldn't bother. Adding some cabbage of broccoli or even frozen string beans to a quick stir fry or sauté is really easy.

There's also chopped and pre washed greens and kale, pre-chopped onions, frozen grilled onions and peppers from Trader Joe's, bags of broccoli florets, and so on. If I find myself throwing away whole veggies, I'll give myself permission to buy these shortcuts a few times, so I can get a better variety into my food again. Then I'll get annoyed at myself for spending the money and go back to buying whole and chopping and washing myself. But sometime you just need a bit of convenience. And what am I saving if I'm not eating it?!

I also stock up on frozen veggies when they go on sale.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-27-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I eat alot of veggies and it's very easy.
Go to the frozen food section and buy a big bag of Birds eye frozen mixed veggies.
I use the Normandy blend. Carrots, zucchini, squash, cauliflower and broccoli in one bag.
Then buy some frozen greens e.g. spinach or collards.
I take them home mix a small handful of the Normandy and a big handful of the greens and nuke em. Sprinkle on some spices and they are ready.
Sometimes I add a couple of eggs and cheese....omelette
Other times I add some evoo and balsamic vinegar.....warm salad.
The possibilities are endless. I do this twice a day....everyday, in one form or another.
Simple, easy, delicious, nutritious, low carb, low cal.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #22

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbon45 View Post
Pami I would LOVE those recipes!
Neither one of these is my original- C&P from their original sites

Quote:
Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks
272K+
A few days back I made pizza from Cauliflower and it turned out awesome. So I started thinking... what about garlic cheese bread? Oh yeah... it turned out even more awesome. This recipe is going to make you happy if you are grain free or Celiac. I wish I would have known about this recipe back in the days I was trying the Atkins diet! Super Yummy!

Gluten Free, Grain Free Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks

Adapted from Eat. Drink. Smile.

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil

For Topping:
2 tablespoons softened salted butter
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
*Optional Marinara sauce for dipping

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Chop the cauliflower florets into chunks and steam them in a steamer or on the stove until slightly soft for 15 minutes. Place in a ricer or grate.
One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Make the Bread:
Prepare your baking stone or sheet by spreading a small amount of olive oil on it and top with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg, Parmesan and Mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir.
Transfer to the baking stone or sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a large rectangle.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Mix 2 TBSP butter and garlic in a small bowl and.spread the butter and garlic mixture over baked cauliflower bread and top with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses.
Place back in the 450 degree oven until all cheese is melted.
Slice and Serve!
Quote:
The Secret To Perfect Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Author: Detoxinista.com

A grain-free alternative to traditional pizza crust, that you can pick up with your hands!
Ingredients

4 cups raw cauliflower rice (about one medium head)
1 egg, beaten
⅓ cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of salt

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 400F.
To make the cauliflower rice, pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
THIS IS THE SECRET: Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all the excess moisture out! It’s amazing how much extra liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.) It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!
Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, or it will stick.) Keep the dough about ⅓” thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.
Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
Now’s the time to add all your favorites– sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like. Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Slice and serve immediately!

Notes
Time-Saving Tip: I recommend making a double-batch of cauliflower pizza crusts–&amp;gt; make one for now, and save one for later. After baking the crusts, wrap up the extra pizza crust in foil, and FREEZE it for a quick “frozen pizza” to enjoy another night! All you need to do is add toppings and bake at 400F, until the cheese is hot and bubbly.

Last edited by Pami; 05-27-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote