Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 41
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 3/3/2014 - 199/191/135
My test is, if I'm truly hungry then I'll eat a hard boiled egg. If that doesn't sound appetizing then I know I'm not really hungry.

If you decide to snack because you're bored or to reward yourself for something, try to resist the urge. Food rewards generally don't end well.

But if you are truly hungry, and/or you need the extra kick to get through the night, then pick anything that sounds good and go with it.
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Right. Having a snack at night doesn't have to be a syndrome. It could be genuine hunger.

I generally only eat two meals a day, and sometimes I'm hungry later. Not a big deal.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sailor Girl
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 28-May-2013
Ugh... I struggle more with nighttime drinking

Im trying to stay away from beer all together (at least for one month) especially since I have read it described as "liquid bread"

I am not a fan of dry wine at all. The sweeter the better for me. I really miss my glass of late harvest Reisling or crisp Moscato in the evenings.
Sailor Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenaz View Post
I've struggled with snacking in the evenings for as long as I can remember. I cherish my evenings, the kids are in bed, I've (usually) picked up the house and I finally have some "me" time. Does anyone else struggle with this?
I dont snack, after work, I go to the gym, then I go home fix dinner and I do not watch tv as well. I think alot of snackers also watch tv, the two seem to go together like popcorn and movies. BUT if I did snack it would like nuts/peanut butter or a piece of chicken/steak.
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
There is an eating disorder called night eating syndrome. Part of the strategy for overcoming it is to acknowledge your evening craving, then wait 15 min and then go ahead and have a planned out snack if you still want it.
Another strategy is to have a flavored beverage at your side. I use seltzer with either lemon and sweetener or a drop of orange mio.

For regular, non-pathological snacking desires, it is good to plan and portion your night time snack.

The cream cheese/butter thing people are discussing is sometimes called 'clouds', and they would be great for a NK plan. CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Devilled egg, heavy on the mayo.

an ounce or two of very good cheese with some fresh red bell pepper strips or celery.
Or with those pepperoni crackers (I use a skillet, but the microwave as described above works too. With the reduced fat turkey pepperoni, the microwave works better than the skillet)

Or cheesey crackers. Cut a slice of real american cheese into 16 pieces. lay on a paper plate or parchment paper and microwave for a total of about a minute, opening the door every 15 seconds. Let cool slightly, then peel off the plate. They'll harden as they cool. I made some with a really hard gruyere yesterday and they were really good. I also like mixing 2 parts grated cheddar with 1 part cream cheese, mashing it up, and then nuking little dollops of it (I don't keep american cheese around).
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I have a "closed kitchen" policy after dinner. Early in my weight loss I snacked on an ounce of nuts, an ounce of cheese...celery with cream cheese...legal foods, but I realized they weren't necessary and I made a decision that once dinner was over, that was it for food. I think it's one of the most important decisions I made in weight loss. I drink a lot of water and herbal tea at night.

To the OP: you said you enjoy your "down time" after the kids are in bed, and would ideally like to cut out your evening snacking. I think you could come up with activities or relaxing treats that aren't food related. Pamper yourself with a facial or a pedicure, read a trashy magazine while having some hot tea, talk on the phone with a girlfriend. There is no downside to cutting out the evening snacks. It's just a habit and habits can be changed. If you decide to do it, I think it will pay off.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I try not to snack but do plan one into my menu most often. Lately it has been 1/4 pumpkin seeds and other typical ones are roasted nori, 99% lindt chocolate or a cup of tea or chicken broth. Eating a later dinner is the thing that makes a snack less likely.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenaz View Post
Thanks, Mistizoom. I was looking at those but they contain peanut or almond butter. Both of the kids are severely allergic to peanuts so PB doesn't come into the house (ever). I'm allergic to almonds, so that's out too
I make my fat bombs with a stick of butter, half a cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and stevia, to taste. They're great and nut free, if your cocoa powder is processed in a nut free facility.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I made some reduced fat turkey pepperoni chips in the microwave today and they are good.
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs B
Stats: 174/164/140
WOE: low carb/sugar, high protein
Start Date: december 2013
I crave something sweet after I have the house cleaned and the children in bed. I make a 500ml caff free apple cinnamon tea with 2 splenda 20ml milk.
mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/275/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
I too like a snack after the kids are in bed. For me, it's the only time I can sit and really enjoy my food. As anyone with young kids know, it's up, down, up, down etc...clean a spill, grab this, grab that, calm a squabble...meal times are hectic here. I often just allot a portion of my daily food for that time. I save my salad to have at bedtime or one of my allotments of veggies and dressing or a pickle spear with cream cheese and bacon or a deviled egg and some almonds. I enjoy my snack and consider it a pleasure to sit and eat in peace and quiet. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with having a snack as long as it's healthy and on plan and you can stop at just the snack.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/183.6/135 (24-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
During the winter, I like a cup of hot tea - my favorite now is Celestial Seasonings Chai and Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma.

Full mug, add a bit of milk and a little bit of stevia
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katyNH
WOE: Low Carb/exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2014
I really miss my before bed bowl of cereal. I bought some Fiber One along with some almond milk so if I indeed need to have it, it's a much better choice than Captin Crunch!
katyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/149/150s
Start Date: July 2008
First of all I agree with Ntombi, sometimes the snacky feeling is real hunger and in that case I know I should eat. For me, white knuckling (forcing myself to not eat even when I am hungry) does not work as a long term strategy.

I have had problems in the past with night snacking/endless hunger/sometimes the binge monster. I was having it All The Time and really disliked the feeling. In 2012 I decided that it was not good for me and I wanted to change it. It has taken a long time but I have not had the feeling for months now.

Here is what I did:

I read Brain Over Binge and it gave me new info and a new way of looking at my own behavior
I examined my habits and noticed where I was eating in response to things other than hunger
I slowly was able to change those habits by paying close attention to my habits, triggers and my thought processes plus keeping a journal
I realized that stress was playing a big part in this feeling for me so I slowly slowly made a series of changes to make my life less stressful.
I really looked at why I was eating at particular times throughout the day and realized that becauee of my work schedule, every day there was a time I was eating BEFORE I got hungry because I had a big chunk of time at work that overlapped a meal time. So I had a habit of pre-eating when I was not hungry in order to avoid being hungry later. I realized I didn't want to do this anymore so I changed that habit. It was a hard one to change and took a lot of mindful choices.
I tried a lot of combinations of macros plus exercise. I.e, low carb plus running. Moderate carb plus sprinting us weights. Low carb with no exercise. etc etc etc. What I finally settled into was LCHF plus walking 10000 steps a day.

I realize this is complicated but it is what worked for me. I started the process in about May 2012. It took about a year to make all the changes bit by bit. But now I have not had this feeling for many many months and I feel free of some life-long shackles.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/189/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I've heard/read that not eating breakfast contributes to more snacking at night.

For me, think it's true that if I haven't eaten enough during the day, I'll get munchie at night.

Sometimes I get munchie anyway, and I do what the poster below suggests - eat a hard boiled egg. And if that doesn't sound appealing, I'm not really hungry!
leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote