Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Feeling Tired and Weak...Need Advice...

Hi,
I've been feeling very tired and weak the last two days. I feel like I don't even want to move and I also have a slight headache. I am on Atkins. I eat about 20 to 30 carbs per day. I get in a lot of protein and I get a lot of fiber from my veggies. I also eat berries as well. I eat a lot throughout the day, so I'm not starving myself or anything like that. I have been on Atkins since Monday, but I'm not doing induction, decided to skip that. I have done Atkins before, but never felt like this. Does anyone else get like this? Is it normal? Anyone have advice on how I can feel better?
Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Sorry you are feeling bad. This is kind of normal especially if you were eating really high carb before, your body is still going to detox off all the sugar and carbs, even if you aren't specifically doing induction levels.

Try drinking some chicken broth, just open a can and pour it in a mug, heat it up and drink it. I would try that and see if it helps lessen it. Other than that, just wait it out, it might take a week or two for your body to even out.

I am sure others will chime in with some ideas they have used, but I was surprised at how helpful the broth suggestion was.

Hope you feel better!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
If you only started on Monday I'd say its normal. Drink plenty of water, drink broth and add plenty of salt to your foods, and make sure you are getting plenty of fat too in addition to protein. You should feel better soon. If you don't feel better in a couple of days that would be more concerning.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your electrolytes are probably out of whack and the best way to fix that is to drink 2 cups of regular sodium chicken broth (1 cup in the am and 1 in the evening). Feel better soon.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I "skipped" induction too. Started out w/a goal of 50 carbs or less a day, and backed myself into where I'm at now, which is an average of 30 a day. But even at 50 or less, I went through "induction flu," because my body was still being inducted into getting drastically less carbs in its machine, whether at Atkins' induction levels or not.

Good advice here w/the chicken broth. And lots of water. The IF passes, and when it does, chances are you'll actually feel more energetic. I know I do.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take everyone's advice and try the chicken broth. Hopefully I will feel better soon. It makes sense that my body would be detoxing.
Thanks Again All.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Hang in there! I did strict induction for about 4 weeks and I felt the way you describe. I gave up my running and long fast walks, too. I just had "nothing" in the way of energy. I took potassium and magnesium and tons of water but the thing that helped most was time. There's hope!!! Hang in there!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lanita. I took everyone's advice and had some broth. It worked some. I did some reading and saw that I may need more salt and electrolytes. I'm going to have broth in the morning too and see if it helps a bit more. Like I said, I do feel somewhat better, so this is good.
Thanks Everyone Again..
Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey Sweet - good for you for trying some of the helpful suggestions posted and mostly for not giving up. I think this "induction flu" as it is sometimes called is one of the main reasons people don't stick to LC long enough to start reaping the benefits. So many people immediately think that their bodies just "don't like LC" or that it is unhealthy because they feel kinda crappy for a few days. Soldier on and get thru this period of detox, add in your salts and maybe a magnesium supplement (Natural Calm is great), and you will soon start feeling a lot of energy in combination with reduced appetite and weight loss. Good luck!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Mainemom... I feel so much better this morning. Yesterday I drank two cans of chicken broth. I also went and got electrolyte water, I think that helped too. I drank another can of chicken broth this morning just to be on the safe side, because that induction flu feeling was awful... lol.. But I do feel better. I am so glad I asked for advice on here.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I would have never thought of drinking some broth.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've had to add salt to my diet. I typically don't use much salt.
I've been low carbing for 8 weeks and had nasty leg cramps for the first time last week. My handful of Potassium tabs weren't doing the job so I've started just drinking some salt in water. No leg cramps at all the last three nights. As I reflect on it I realized I am getting very little salt because I prepare most of my food and have never gotten into the salt habit.

You asked about energy level. I've found I just have low energy days and try to exercise less/get more rest. Most of the tiredness, though, seems to have passed. I do take a magnesium tablet every morning. That might help.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote