Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Feeling Tired and Weak...Need Advice... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804824-feeling-tired-weak-need-advice.html)

SweetSugaree 05-26-2013 09:39 AM

Feeling Tired and Weak...Need Advice...

Hi,
I've been feeling very tired and weak the last two days. I feel like I don't even want to move and I also have a slight headache. I am on Atkins. I eat about 20 to 30 carbs per day. I get in a lot of protein and I get a lot of fiber from my veggies. I also eat berries as well. I eat a lot throughout the day, so I'm not starving myself or anything like that. I have been on Atkins since Monday, but I'm not doing induction, decided to skip that. I have done Atkins before, but never felt like this. Does anyone else get like this? Is it normal? Anyone have advice on how I can feel better?
Thanks in advance,
Kimberly :)

adiasmc1 05-26-2013 09:53 AM

Sorry you are feeling bad. This is kind of normal especially if you were eating really high carb before, your body is still going to detox off all the sugar and carbs, even if you aren't specifically doing induction levels.

Try drinking some chicken broth, just open a can and pour it in a mug, heat it up and drink it. I would try that and see if it helps lessen it. Other than that, just wait it out, it might take a week or two for your body to even out.

I am sure others will chime in with some ideas they have used, but I was surprised at how helpful the broth suggestion was.

Hope you feel better!

Mistizoom 05-26-2013 10:01 AM

If you only started on Monday I'd say its normal. Drink plenty of water, drink broth and add plenty of salt to your foods, and make sure you are getting plenty of fat too in addition to protein. You should feel better soon. If you don't feel better in a couple of days that would be more concerning.

clackley 05-26-2013 10:16 AM

Your electrolytes are probably out of whack and the best way to fix that is to drink 2 cups of regular sodium chicken broth (1 cup in the am and 1 in the evening). Feel better soon.

Blue Skies 05-26-2013 10:39 AM

I "skipped" induction too. Started out w/a goal of 50 carbs or less a day, and backed myself into where I'm at now, which is an average of 30 a day. But even at 50 or less, I went through "induction flu," because my body was still being inducted into getting drastically less carbs in its machine, whether at Atkins' induction levels or not.

Good advice here w/the chicken broth. And lots of water. The IF passes, and when it does, chances are you'll actually feel more energetic. I know I do.

SweetSugaree 05-26-2013 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take everyone's advice and try the chicken broth. Hopefully I will feel better soon. It makes sense that my body would be detoxing.
Thanks Again All.
:)

lanita 05-26-2013 05:17 PM

Hang in there! I did strict induction for about 4 weeks and I felt the way you describe. I gave up my running and long fast walks, too. I just had "nothing" in the way of energy. I took potassium and magnesium and tons of water but the thing that helped most was time. There's hope!!! Hang in there!

SweetSugaree 05-26-2013 06:00 PM

Thanks Lanita. I took everyone's advice and had some broth. It worked some. I did some reading and saw that I may need more salt and electrolytes. I'm going to have broth in the morning too and see if it helps a bit more. Like I said, I do feel somewhat better, so this is good. :)
Thanks Everyone Again.. :)

mainemom 05-27-2013 10:31 AM

Hey Sweet - good for you for trying some of the helpful suggestions posted and mostly for not giving up. I think this "induction flu" as it is sometimes called is one of the main reasons people don't stick to LC long enough to start reaping the benefits. So many people immediately think that their bodies just "don't like LC" or that it is unhealthy because they feel kinda crappy for a few days. Soldier on and get thru this period of detox, add in your salts and maybe a magnesium supplement (Natural Calm is great), and you will soon start feeling a lot of energy in combination with reduced appetite and weight loss. Good luck!

SweetSugaree 05-27-2013 11:00 AM

Thanks Mainemom... I feel so much better this morning. Yesterday I drank two cans of chicken broth. I also went and got electrolyte water, I think that helped too. I drank another can of chicken broth this morning just to be on the safe side, because that induction flu feeling was awful... lol.. But I do feel better. I am so glad I asked for advice on here. :)
Thanks everyone for your advice, I would have never thought of drinking some broth. :)

Patience 05-28-2013 05:25 PM

I've had to add salt to my diet. I typically don't use much salt.
I've been low carbing for 8 weeks and had nasty leg cramps for the first time last week. My handful of Potassium tabs weren't doing the job so I've started just drinking some salt in water. No leg cramps at all the last three nights. As I reflect on it I realized I am getting very little salt because I prepare most of my food and have never gotten into the salt habit.

You asked about energy level. I've found I just have low energy days and try to exercise less/get more rest. Most of the tiredness, though, seems to have passed. I do take a magnesium tablet every morning. That might help.