Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Is it me or does this surprize you too? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804747-me-does-surprize-you-too.html)

Punkin 05-24-2013 12:50 PM

Is it me or does this surprize you too?

I went to mcDonalds today for lunch. I was thinking a just wanted a light lunch, so I figured mcDs was the cheapest choice. I ordered a cesar salad and of course, tossed the croutons. I also decided not to get the chicken on it because it would cut down on the cost and some of the calories. I ate the salad which didn't take long, because it was pretty small. I noticed on the back of the mat while I was eating was the nutritional information. Holy cow, the salad had a whopping 450 cal in it even without the chicken and croutons. That is how many calories I eat at dinner. It seemed like a lot of cals for a small salad. I can't even imagine how many cals would be in a meal salad you would get in a restaurant. Does this surprize anyone else? Its amazing how people think of salad as a diet food. There were a lot of other things I could have had on the menu that would have had less calories = lighter lunch:stars:

Arctic_Mama 05-24-2013 01:12 PM

Not surprised at all, but I've also been doing this a fairly long time and realized a long time ago that for the energy bang for the buck restaurant salads are poor compared to say, a bunless burger. Lots of calories and not particularly satiating, compared to the salads I can make at home for the same calories and carbs.

princessmommy 05-24-2013 01:21 PM

Actually that Does suprise me. I had a small chicken salad for lunch but it was from a local sub shop so I have No clue how many calories were in that

anglgrl 05-24-2013 01:30 PM

I don't think that's right. I just went to McD's website and picked the ceasar salad, no croutons and took off the chicken and it said it was 90 cal. (Unless you put their dressing on it. Which got it up to 280.) You can go to their site and completely customize the food (so if you don't eat a bun, or you take the chicken out of a salad) and find the nutrition information.

CTIgrad 05-24-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglgrl (Post 16438941)
I don't think that's right. I just went to McD's website and picked the ceasar salad, no croutons and took off the chicken and it said it was 90 cal. (Unless you put their dressing on it. Which got it up to 280.) You can go to their site and completely customize the food (so if you don't eat a bun, or you take the chicken out of a salad) and find the nutrition information.

I just did this last night for a bunless double cheese. 6 carbs. Ouch. I figured it would have been less. Guess ill opt for a mcdouble, slightly less if I'm in a pinch.

Punkin 05-24-2013 04:09 PM

The salad with no chicken on it was 250 cal, the croutons were 60cal so I subtracted that and got 190cal for the salad alone. Then I added the dressing. The dressing said it was 260cal, so it comes out to 450cal. And that is the salad with no chicken. It says on their website that the chicken is another 100cal. so it would be 550cal with the chicken.

Dottie 05-24-2013 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could you have misread?

Gibbs 05-25-2013 06:34 AM

The Subway salad I always get was a shock, not the 500 calories or the 6 net carbs but the 1100 of sodium!! Seriously?

avid 05-25-2013 07:40 AM

Yikes,
that is high.
I hope you did misread, because it looks like the salad is mostly greens.
Of course adding dressing throws the calories off the chart.

Mistizoom 05-25-2013 09:41 AM

I'm seeing the same thing Dottie is, Premium Caeser Salad (no dressing, no croutons, no chicken) is 90 calories, plus whatever salad dressing you ate. If the salad dressing was 260 cal then it would have been 350 calories total.