Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   bullet proof coffee (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804699-bullet-proof-coffee.html)

scintillady 05-23-2013 04:23 PM

bullet proof coffee

I have been putting off trying this because putting butter and coconut oil in my coffee sounded so gross. Today I tried it, though, and it was yummy. I melted 1.5 Tbsp CO, 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, and heavy cream. I whipped it up with a stick blender after I had added a half cup of coffee and it foamed nicely. Then I added 1 tsp of SF Davinci syrup and filled the cup the rest of the way up. Since all I'm eating today is fat, almost no protein, and no carbs, I'll probably have some more later. This will be my morning beverage from now on!

kristenaz 05-23-2013 04:39 PM

Sounds good! I still haven't tried adding the oil to my coffee. Perhaps I will give it a shot tomorrow :) I've never heard of adding butter, BTW. I'll have to look into that too.

Patience 05-23-2013 04:43 PM

THey are great. I have grown to love the taste and they are amazingly filling.
I use various combos of HWC, butter, and CO. I am taking care now measuring amounts, though. I can cut down a lot on what I eat for breakfast, just one egg or one piece of breakfast meat tides me over very well. Weekends or on stressful days I'll splurge with an extra egg. :)

marieze 05-23-2013 07:01 PM

I've been doing 3 Tbl. of Nutiva Coconut Oil with HWC everyday in my coffee since 9/1/12 and now I can't drink coffee without it! Holds me for hours and the ONLY way to start my day!!:love:

adiasmc1 05-23-2013 08:13 PM

I keep meaning to try this too. I tried it once ages ago but I didn't know about the blending part and was like this is sooooo gross.

Hahaha, then I read you had to whip/blend it, so now I need to try it again.

Would be good for me I think as I really don't like to eat in the morning.

Patience 05-24-2013 03:43 PM

I use a stick frother. I make in a large mug so it doesn't overflow.
I think the HWC expands more than the CO or the Butter.

kristenaz 05-24-2013 03:51 PM

Tried it this morning (w/o butter, just 6oz coffee, 2TBSP HWC and 2TBSP organic virgin CO). It tasted pretty good. I loved the light coconut flavor from the oil. I used my immersion blender and mixed it in the measuring cup that came with it.

snowdancer79 05-24-2013 05:49 PM

For the last 2 months or so, I've traded in breakfast for bulletproof coffee. I find that if I drink a cup of coffee with approx. 2 TBSP virgin coconut oil and approx. 2 TBSP HWC, I don't have any desire to eat until about 10:30, which for me is amazing. I'm a total convert. :heart: :heart: bulletproof coffee

Candiceena 05-25-2013 02:52 PM

Newbie here...I have heard of Bulletproof Coffee before but have never tried it. I know that CO stands for coconut oil and that HWC stands for heavy whipping cream...what else goes in it? Butter? Does it matter what kind of butter it is (as long as it is actual butter and not margarine?)...and also, I only have a regular blender (for like smoothies and stuff)...will that work?

Also can someone clarify what exactly heavy whipping cream is? Is it half and half?

scintillady 05-25-2013 08:09 PM

I use unsalted butter, that's the only thing I use it for. A regular blender will work. Half and half has a lot more carbs than heavy cream.

Ntombi 05-25-2013 10:17 PM

Unsalted grass fed butter is what is recommended. You can do butter or coconut oil, or both. HWC is optional. I use a frother to mix mine (I actually drink bulletproof tea more often than coffee, using HWC and CO), and it works great.

I think I explained this to you in a different thread, but half and half is different from heavy cream. Half and half is half light cream, half milk, and therefore has more carbs (from the milk sugar) than heavy cream, which is about 40% fat.

heidihoopi 05-25-2013 10:55 PM

How many calories is that? Sounds like a lot. I think we need to be aware of calories too as calories do count, just not as much as carbs in the long run. :) And it seems the closer one gets to goal or during a stall, the more calories count.

Ntombi 05-25-2013 11:00 PM

I don't count calories, but many of us who drink bulletproof coffee or bulletproof tea find that it satisfies us for several hours. I don't tend to eat for at least a few hours afterwards, and I don't add nearly as much CO or butter as many others.

Aleina 05-26-2013 06:53 AM

Heidihoopi, agreed on the need to reduce near to goal weight. But bear in mind that for example in my case I used to eat 3 or 4 eggs ,with bulletproof coffee I can have one only and that changes my fat :protein : carb ratio favorably, which according to my plan is desirable. I am looking for around 70 :20:10 ,the 70 being fat. I think it is also a mistake to reduce the fat component near goal weight too much due to the calorie content. Conjecture on my part but does the fear of being hungry make people opt for quantity of protein instead of using the satisfying fats for the fill up factor ? Just a musing.

Patience 05-26-2013 10:14 AM

I have started measuring my fat inputs to my coffee, but just for the record.
I have from 2 - 3 tablespoons per cup. If I stall, I am prepared to cut back a little.
Currently I drink from 2 to 3 cups a day. I often use unsalted grassfed butter but the salted kind works fine too. I always buy local and/or organic, but that is just my personal preference.

It does suppress my appetite (I am assuming this is what is doing it), so for me also I can eat less than usual for breakfast. Sometimes a cup in the afternoon reduces any need for an afternoon snack. My evening appetite varies a lot from day to day, but I do have days where I am satisified with a very small dinner and a very small snack or even no snack at all. That is a very welcome change.

Aleina 05-27-2013 07:50 AM

Bella ,that is exactly how it works for me, too.
I must admit I was highly sceptical about the benefits and overate breakfast to compensate for this ""remedy" failing, but a couple of days at home convinced me that I would not need to live near the fridge for fear of being hungry and not finding anything on plan while out.

floridagirl6 05-27-2013 09:19 AM

I drink coffee w/HWC and CO for breakfast. I have never been much of a breakfast eater and find that having my coffee this way keeps me going until lunch. I do count calories, carbs, protein, and fat.

I have 1T of each. I see that some have much more per coffee.

Julie1972 05-27-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdancer79 (Post 16439182)
For the last 2 months or so, I've traded in breakfast for bulletproof coffee. I find that if I drink a cup of coffee with approx. 2 TBSP virgin coconut oil and approx. 2 TBSP HWC, I don't have any desire to eat until about 10:30, which for me is amazing. I'm a total convert. :heart: :heart: bulletproof coffee

This is me! I look forward to my treat every day! :jumpjoy:

Blue Skies 05-27-2013 10:12 AM

Ha. Didn't see this thread, and just posted the same thing. Sorry to be redundant, but I was just so happily surprised by my first BPC!

DiamondDeb 05-27-2013 10:25 AM

This does not really tempt me but I admit that, as a coffee-lover, I feel like I "should" try it... :laugh:

Maybe if I was not a breakfast eater or something I'd be interested.

I love my flavored coffee with stevia only.

BigRolliePollie 05-27-2013 11:15 PM

I love this, I am learning so much!!

DeltaSierra 05-28-2013 09:10 AM

Every recipe I've seen requires butter - is that necessary to get the benefits of this? I love coconut oil with coffee and HWC.

Aleina 05-28-2013 09:37 AM

It is not necessary.Butter is a good fat that we metabolise well and should have space somewhere in your diet, but adding butter is not a secret weightloss tip. You are fine with the coconut oil. Just watch that at the end of the day you have ingested enough fat. I don't use butter in BPC either. I use coconut cream I made yesterday and it is too yuimmy a flavor to add butter. my butter goes on eggs and in sauces as it slightly thickens them.

Patience 05-28-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleina (Post 16443619)
. I use coconut cream I made yesterday and it is too yuimmy a flavor to add butter.

How do you make coconut cream?

Aleina 05-28-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bella ,this is the recipe I used. I call it coconut cream as it stays solid , is not liquid like the bottled stuff.

http://www.themindfulfoodie.com/2012...coconut-flour/

Here is what mine looked like.