Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Wow!! actually measured my HWC use (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804671-wow-actually-measured-my-hwc-use.html)

avid 05-23-2013 06:16 AM

Wow!! actually measured my HWC use

I have been stuck for a few weeks at a set point in weight and inches.
Frustrating but to be expected I guess because i'm so close to goal.
It was suggested by Punkin and others that when trying to lose those last few stubborn pounds of fat that calories as well as carbs must be counted.
My biggest calorie culprit is HWC.
So I decided to actually measure how many calories from HWC I was getting daily. Man, was I surprised.
The only time I use HWC is in my coffee but I drink 4-5 cups a day.
By measurement I put 3.5 tbs of cream in each cup. At 50 calories per tbsp. that comes out to approx. 800 calories a day just from putting cream in my coffee.
Talk about an eye opener. Add that to the fact that I use coconut oil and evoo daily in my meals and it's easy to see that I'm topping a thousand calories a day just in fat additives.
I'll start with the hwc. Not eliminating it, but cutting back.
I'll report on how it works.

MaryMary 05-23-2013 06:28 AM

That's what I did a year ago, measure everyting to see where the calories were coming from and it helped figure out where I could skim a few. It allowed me to lose the last of the weight. It turned out I was eating 1700-1800 kals a day and was able to mke subtle changes to cut 300-400 kal, allowing me to lose a couple lbs a month. I did not feel as if I was depriving because the quantity if food did not chnage. I am in my range now.

lterry913 05-23-2013 06:30 AM

Yep, switched to blonde coffee or to just making the coffee a tad weaker as I was judging my cream usage by the color of my coffee...It takes a lot less cream to lighten up a cup of blonde coffee blend, or just coffee that's brewed a lil weaker.

Patience 05-23-2013 07:09 AM

I've started measuring my coffee inputs, too. I am now measuring 2 Tablespoons per cup twice a day, sometime three times a day. I have always been partial to half and half but have switched to HWC or CO or Butter or some combination. What are the tradeoffs in carbs/calories? I've been thinking CO or Butter are the lower carb choices, but if I am wrong could someone please correct me?

Any one have easy ideas for measuring inputs in a coffee shop? I was trying my MCT oil for the first time yesterday and it was a bit of a mess. I put it in a small plastic container and it was very leaky. I am thinking a smaller bottle with an eye dropper . . . I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go with the small bit of half and half on offer as this is not an everyday happening.

clackley 05-23-2013 07:13 AM

Good for you Avid! I have to weigh and measure everything just to have a handle on what I am consuming. Btw, Dr. Phinney advices that if carbs are low, protein is moderate and weight loss is stalled, to reduce fat intake. Sounds like you have found a fairly easy place to cut back with the hwc!

abby! 05-23-2013 07:40 AM

That's great! I'm glad you found a place to tweak things. I suspect though the fat in HWC was helping in keeping you satiated so if you feel a bit hungry at times while cutting back its normal. I think you're going to call GOAL very, very soon!

trishthedish 05-23-2013 09:09 AM

I had already lost 70 pounds on my WOL before I stalled. I started measuring portions to get a handle on my numbers and was shocked at the results! It allowed me to make educated choices and sure enough, the scale started moving again. I bet you have similar results.

lanita 05-23-2013 09:21 AM

Wow!! I'm glad I don't use HWC. It's a good thing you looked at your consumption of it. I bet your last 3 pounds fly off now!

Blue Skies 05-23-2013 09:36 AM

Love your new picture, Avid. It really shows how very successful you've been. You look great. I bet cutting the HWC back will help shed those final pounds.

Thankfully I drink my coffee black, w/the exception of an occasional "desert coffee" when I add cream and splenda. But I do like my cream sodas. Was having one almost every night, now I've cut it back to 3 nights a week.

ravenrose 05-23-2013 09:56 AM

I recommend Hood Calorie Countdown 2% milk if you have it available. So many fewer calories and really good in coffee!

avid 05-23-2013 10:13 AM

Unless your very close to goal, I would hesitate to drop HWC in favor of something else.
I used to use half and half but when I switched to HWC I dropped another couple of pounds within days. I'm sure the lower carb count was the reason.
I have lost 45 pounds since my peak and since joining LCF in September did not give calories a second thought. All those pounds were lost focusing ONLY on carbs.
It's only now that I'm down to those stubborn deep pockets of fat that I'm looking at calories at all.
So please, I don't wish for anyone who still has a long way to go to see this thread as "proof" that calories matter more than carbs. They do not!
Stay focused. This site is called low CARB friends for a reason.
Of course YMMV, but for me, and I think most people on this site, magnificent losses of both pounds and inches can be achieved by counting carbs alone.

MaryMary 05-23-2013 10:22 AM

I counted carbs for the first 100 lbs lost, then had to look at carbs and portion size for the next 100 lbs as I added in lots more veggies and then at carbs, calories and portions sizes for the last 20-25 lbs. Today I have it portions down and it is very automatic. I know where I can increase fat on days when I want to eat a rich meal and where to reduce it on days when I want to drop it.

watcher513 05-24-2013 02:13 AM

Wow, 3.5 T. per cup. That's a lot of hwc. I use a 16 oz. Contigo travel mug for coffee and put 1 measured T of hwc in it (Always measured). It seems plenty light for me.

princessmommy 05-24-2013 04:26 AM

I have a feeling i'd be shocked if I knew exactly how much hwc I use! I'm going to find out though and measure!

snowdancer79 05-24-2013 05:05 AM

I'm at the point I need to start looking at my portions and calories too. I just can't seem to lose below 166, although from past experience I can down to 145 and still have excess weight. My mom and I were talking the other night. She is long term, successful LC, and she agrees that to lose the last few pounds, calories matter. I think I'm going to cut in half what I've been eating to get the scale rolling again. Not a fun prospect, although I know I won't be hungry, just bored with meat, eggs, very few veggies, and no extras.

Sarah 05-24-2013 05:07 AM

Measuring what you're eating and logging it can be a real shocker. I have followed Atkins for the better part of 13 years (other than pregnancy breaks) and never had to really worry about it before, but as much as I hate to admit it, I'm getting older and my body is not the same as before kids. When I started logging my food recently I was floored by how many calories I was eating. With a few tweaks I was able to cut a few hundred calories per day without much trouble and finally I feel like I can shift these last few pounds. With easing up on the HWC, I am sure you will too Avid :)

Arctic_Mama 05-24-2013 10:48 AM

I measure/weigh everything, but items like mayo, butter, and hwc in particular! They are easy to overdo and the calories are exceptionally high :)

Strawberry 05-24-2013 11:11 AM

Wow! I agree - your photo looks fantastic!!! Slim, tall, strong!!

I have the same problem with HWC. Its so easy to go overboard. I have taken to using whole milk in my coffee. If I'm out, and half and half is the only reasonable thing available, I'll use that.

Punkin 05-24-2013 12:57 PM

I actually stopped using 35% cream and switched to table cream and half and half. They don't have much more carbs per tablespoon but do have a lot less calories. The main reason I because I put a lot of it in coffee and it still has the MCT fat in it, it is just diluted with milk (the half and half) Table cream works well for salad dressings and coffee. Half and half works well for tea and iced coffee.

Vilya 05-25-2013 04:54 PM

I just measured the HWC I use in coffee and discovered I was using 2 Tbsp. instead of the 1 Tbsp. I thought I was. Eeep! This was a very timely thread. I will be measuring from now on!

avid 05-25-2013 07:39 PM

I've been measuring for the past three days.
2 measured tbsps. per cup and only 3 cups per day.
Down a pound so it seems to be working.
my hunger has increased a little though. Not too bad, but I guess
I was using coffee w/hwc as an appetite suppresant.
Determined to hit goal soon

DiamondDeb 05-25-2013 08:19 PM

What an eye-opener! WTG for figuring that out! Definitely looks like you found the problem.

I never used HWC in my coffee, not in my budget. I used to use organic half & half but I discovered (while following a 6 wk no-dairy plan) that my own coffee at home tastes great without any dairy added. I've been happy doing without it for a few years.

I never measured my half & half & I think I would not have been too happy if I had..

heidihoopi 05-25-2013 10:20 PM

This is a good wake-up call for all of us, easy to splash in a little more hwc, and then a little more, but at 60 calories (on my cream box) a Tbsp, whoooooaa! :eek: Adds up fast!

Elgar 05-26-2013 04:15 AM

Wow! I can't believe how my HWC folks use in their coffee. I measured mine this morning and a teaspoon is just perfect -- turns the coffee to a nice milk-chocolate colour. I don't care for the "chaulky" taste of too much hwc in it, I guess. My downfall when I'm counting calories is butter. I can use it on just about everything including just eating it off the knife. My favourite treat is French eggs -- eggs scrambled slowly with 1.5 - 2 TBS butter per egg. The butter is added slowly to the eggs while they cook over very low heat. Yummy! That will be something I'll add back after I'm done with this juice fast.

CindyCRNA 05-27-2013 01:41 PM

Smart girl! So many get stuck or are gaining and forget how easy it to pour too much.

avid 05-27-2013 07:33 PM

Down another pound.
This is working.

DiamondDeb 05-28-2013 03:56 PM

Yes! :jumpjoy:

Arctic_Mama 05-28-2013 05:42 PM

That's great it was such a simple fix, Avid!