Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Favorite salty snacks? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804636-favorite-salty-snacks.html)

mamabat 05-22-2013 12:47 PM

Favorite salty snacks?

I'm wanting salty/crunchy and nothing is scratching the itch. I don't want nuts, pickles/olives aren't cutting it...what's your favorite salty snack?

Often salted radishes work for me, but, even that's not sounding good.

astribling 05-22-2013 12:50 PM

I love pork rinds! However, they are an acquired taste and some people don't care for them. The ones I purchase have a very mild flavor and they give me that salty crunch I want. I use them with dips, and as nachos, etc.

Phranquie 05-22-2013 12:57 PM

I nuke slices of turkey pepperoni on a plate for a minute or so and then use them as "chips" for dips and spreadable cheeses.

You can also cut up and nuke those awful American cheese singles slices and make Cheese-its.

And last you can cut up a LC tortilla or pita bread and nuke them into chips.

livinlarge 05-22-2013 01:24 PM

pumpkin seeds

keh216 05-22-2013 03:23 PM

I LOVE zucchini chips.....with any dip......I am thinking about trying kale chips soon.

canadiangirl 05-22-2013 03:43 PM

Kale chips are yummy and I snack on salted soya nuts too that tend to hit the spot.

heahyou00 05-23-2013 10:58 AM

Do you guys make your own Kale Chips or do you buy them somewhere?

canadiangirl 05-23-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heahyou00 (Post 16437297)
Do you guys make your own Kale Chips or do you buy them somewhere?

I make mine in a dehydrator....they are awesome! Even my picky 8 year old loves them and takes them to school as a snack. There are different recipes but I like to use sunflower seeds, red pepper and a few other things blended together. I believe they can be made in the oven but it requires constant watching.

trishthedish 05-23-2013 01:24 PM

Plain pork rinds coated with Cajun seasoning and dipped in ranch.

Roasted Brussels sprouts dipped in ranch.

Linda Sue's 'Popcorn' cauliflower dipped in ranch.

I :heart: ranch.

heahyou00 05-23-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiangirl (Post 16437321)
I make mine in a dehydrator....they are awesome! Even my picky 8 year old loves them and takes them to school as a snack. There are different recipes but I like to use sunflower seeds, red pepper and a few other things blended together. I believe they can be made in the oven but it requires constant watching.

So you just mix the sunflower seeds and red pepper and some spices in like a grinder or something? and then how do you prepare the kale? I own a dehydrator, do you just rinse it and then sprinkle this stuff on and then how long would I leave it in the dehydrator? Sorry if I sound dumb, but never made them before, but would love to try!

PianoAl 05-23-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranquie (Post 16435854)
You can also cut up and nuke those awful American cheese singles slices and make Cheese-its.

This is my current favorite. I use Kraft American Deluxe cheese. Note that it is cheese and not cheese-food.

Put it on a plate, and nuke for 70 seconds. Pry it off and let it cool.

canadiangirl 05-23-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heahyou00 (Post 16437595)
So you just mix the sunflower seeds and red pepper and some spices in like a grinder or something? and then how do you prepare the kale? I own a dehydrator, do you just rinse it and then sprinkle this stuff on and then how long would I leave it in the dehydrator? Sorry if I sound dumb, but never made them before, but would love to try!

Cheesy Kale Chips
2 big bunches of kale, washed, stems removed and dry
1 cup soaked cashews, soak for an hour and drain
1/2 red pepper
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tbsp himalayan sea salt
juice of one lemon
Tear kale into small pieces but leave them about the size of a potato chip. Place them in a large bowl.Add cashews, red pepper, nutritional yeast and salt to your VitaMix and blend until smooth. Cover the kale with the cashew mixture and use your hands to massage the mixture into the leaves.Place the leaves on a large cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until chips are crisp. If you dehydrate these they will take overnight in your dehydrator.

This recipe is from a hollistic nutritionist blog. I replace the cashews with sunflower seeds so my daughter can take them to school (zero nut policy). I buy sour cream and onion popcorn seasoning to sprinkle on when it is done.

marieze 05-23-2013 05:54 PM

Sliced cucumbers with salt then dipped in hidden valley ranch In the packets I mix with mayo and hwc! :yummy:

Avy 05-23-2013 10:17 PM

Cucumber chips made in the dehydrator... my junk food addicted skinny bf loves them too. Sprinkle with salt and pepper once laid out, turn on and let it go until they are crispy.

Zuchinni works well too, haven't tried anything else except apples, and jerky. :)

clackley 05-24-2013 05:09 AM

I recently discovered that I love pumpkin seeds. I find that 1/4 cup is a very reasonable snack.

Nutrition Facts per 1 cup serving
Generic - Pumpkin Seeds, Seed Kernals, Dried (Usda Data)
Servings:
Calories 721 Sodium 9 mg
Total Fat 60 g Potassium 1,044 mg
Saturated 11 g Total Carbs 14 g
Polyunsaturated 27 g Dietary Fiber 8 g
Monounsaturated 21 g Sugars 2 g
Trans 0 g Protein 39 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 2% Calcium 59%
Vitamin C 3% Iron 11%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily

Another great one is the single serving packets of nori.

Patience 05-24-2013 06:06 AM

Salted sunflower seeds, in the shell, would be a good snack.
I supposed out of the shell, too, but in the shell slows me down and gives me something to do with my hands! Haven't had any for a long time, but I might get some one of these days.

Rhubarb 05-24-2013 07:58 AM

Parmesan crisps.

Shredded parmesan mounded in small piles on a piece of parchment and baked for a few minutes until melted and brown around the edges. Nice crunch, and inherently salty.

For a decadent treat melt a little bit of very dark chocolate and dip one edge of the crisp and let harden for a sweet/salty indulgence.

Rita80 05-25-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keh216 (Post 16436054)
I LOVE zucchini chips.....with any dip......I am thinking about trying kale chips soon.

Hi Keh216, where can I find zucchini chips?!?! that sounds delicious!! I love Kale shakes and kale salads, but YUCK i couldn't convince my taste buds to like Kale chips (i tried the ones from trader joes).

I LOVE Seapoint Farm's Dry Roasted Edamame! so good! i got these from Smart & Final :clap:

Rita

baileygirl3 05-26-2013 05:22 AM

Pork Rinds dipped in sour cream.

SugarFreeSheila 05-26-2013 05:50 AM

Agreed. Pork rinds dipped in sour cream is the best. Crab dip is good, too, as is cheese dip or pretty much any of those awesome Costco dips. Pork rinds invariably put me up a half-pound of water weight the next morning, but I don't care. They're so awesome it's worth it. :)