Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Judy211
WOE: Atkins
Frustrated

I started LC WOE/Atkins 9 days ago and I am frustrated since I only lost 2 pounds. I have been very committed and stayed on track and was excited to weigh this morning and the 2 pound loss really bummed me. A sample of my menu:

B: 2 coffees with cream
1 slice of Pumpkin bake (during the week)
2 eggs scrambled with cheese and either sausage or bacon (weekends)

L: Tuna salad or egg salad or a chefs salad or leftovers
cherry tomatoes or cucumbers with lc dressing

D: quiche or white castle pie or grilled chick breast
acceptable veggies: small salad or gr beans or squash or zucchini or cauliflower

S: when needed-9 almonds or 1 ounce cheese or ham and turkey rolled with pickle

I drink lots of water during the day.

Any suggestions on what can speed up my losses? I really want to succeed but I thought I would see a better loss since I have so much to lose (100lbs). I take metformin for prediabetes and thyroid meds for low thyroid. I am 5’ 2” and have always been the chubby girl since middle school and now I am the obese girl. I really want to feel better and get healthy. I called my Dr. this morning and left a msg with the nurse asking for advice on weight loss. She called back and told me the Dr. says the best way is weight watchers and exercise. I explained that the last 5 tries on WW I was not successful and WW is not the plan for me. I asked if maybe the Dr. wants my blood levels to be checked to see if my meds should be upped or if there could be a metabolic reason I am not losing, maybe stress cortisol increase…something. She said “Hmm, I will have to check with the Dr. and call you back.” Still have not heard from her.
A little background info: In 2011 I finished my bachelor’s degree and I lost 45 pounds on Medifast which is great but I didn’t want to survive on shakes and bars forever. In 2012 I started a new job that I love and maintained my weightloss thru that summer but in the fall the weight started to creep back on and on even thru the holidays. Feb 20th 2013 my mom suffered a minor stroke and then April 7th she suffered a massive stroke. I took a leave from work to be with her in the hospital, thru rehab and be her caregiver now that she is home. I go back to work June 10th. I have gained back 34 of the 45 I lost. I am frustrated, bummed and so disappointed. Any words of wisdom, advice or suggestions on why I might not be losing would be helpful and so appreciated. Thanks.
Judy211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Hi Judy. My first suggestion would be, if you haven't done this already, read the Atkins book. It really doesn't matter which one, but I personally like the earlier ones that Dr. A wrote himself. A lot of people try to do low carb without the correct knowledge. It would also be nice to know what your portions of food are like. For instance, one cherry tomato is one net carb, so if you are eating more than one or two you might have a problem. Do you measure your cream in your coffee? One tsp. is 1/2 net carb and 50 calories. It can add up quickly. These are just the things that stood out to me.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Is it heavy cream you're using in your coffee? If so it's 1/2 a carb and 50 cals like cfine said, but per tablespoon, not teaspoon.

What's in the pumpkin bake? I'm thinking its at least a little carby bc of the pumpkin. You might want to skip that or push it to a later meal. Most people are more sensitive to carbs in the a.m.

Also, make sure to get plenty of fat, but not all from heavy whipping cream (some is fine, but you probably don't want a ton of it during induction, Atkins put some limit on it, but I don't remember what). But lots of fat will help you get into ketosis if you're not already and may push you farther in if you are.

Are you weighing once a week? I know everyone differs on this and it's a personal thing, but I just don't think I could handle the disappointment of a bad number once a week. I know that would lead me to cheat. I never like a disappointing number, but if I weigh every day, I don't have an entire week of effort sunk into one weigh-in, kwim? Plus, I feel like I would make adjustments based on shorter time periods, like if I added a new food, I'd like to know sooner rather than later that it caused my weight to pop up.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hi Judy. So sorry to hear of your struggles....it can be so tough to lose and to keep weight off. I know that for a fact.

I wonder how you were eating just prior to restarting a low carb woe. If you were pretty low carb that could explain the lack of the initial whoosh of lbs.. If this is accurate, then 2 lbs. would be pretty reasonable in 9 days.

I was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid and have been reading about this issue and found that unless you have a very knowledgeable and current doctor you are going to have to advocate for yourself in understanding the details and possibilities of this complicated condition.

When you post a menu for advice, it is very important to give amounts in terms of weight and quantity. This means that you need to weigh and measure. It is impossible to know without that kind of detail.

You seem highly motivated and I think you will do well.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dfs405
You do realize in your sadness that you have lost almost an entire stick of butter (example I always use) for each day you have been doing this -it is not uncommon to have nothing happen for a few days then one big day of loss also-something to look forward to.
dfs405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: One day at a time
Congrats on your success so far! Low carb is working for you and you’ve lost weight! Keep going at this rate and you will lose 81 pounds in a year.

If you are looking to speed up your rate of loss, I would suggest ditching the pumpkin bake until you are further along. I am assuming you are in Induction and the pumpkin bake has too many carbs. Stick to the bacon and eggs for breakfast. Other than that, your menu looks Atkins Induction appropriate.

Again, congrats on your success!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfs405 View Post
You do realize in your sadness that you have lost almost an entire stick of butter (example I always use) for each day you have been doing this -it is not uncommon to have nothing happen for a few days then one big day of loss also-something to look forward to.
I visualize the same way, and the math is even better than you state. 2 lbs of butter equals 8 sticks! Think of lining up 8 sticks of butter across the table and imagining that gone from you. Or 2 lbs of hamburger. I think we often don't recognize the significance of just a pound or two.

People can get thrown off by hearing about cases where the "weight just falls off" a person on LC. Lucky people. But for many of us it's a slow but steady process. As the poster above said, keep that up and you'll have lost 80 pounds by a year from now. That's pretty spectacular, and a year goes by fast when you look back on it.

Also, I agree w/rubidoux on weighing every day. Once. First thing in the AM.
It can be frustrating too, but it lets you know what to expect regarding fluctuation and bounces. Also, do keep a daily log of carbs and calories. It takes little time to check in w/yourself at the end of the day, be honest about what you ate, and have a record of what's working, or what isn't.

Hang in there. It gets better and better.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I think two solid lbs in 9 days is GREAT! You should aim for a healthy rate of weight loss of 1-2 lbs/ week. It sounds like you are on track with that. Your menu looks pretty clean. You really don't want to restrict so much, like on medifast, that you can't maintain the eating habits.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Chiming in a little late, but I want to piggyback on the poster/posters who have suggested that you read the book. If you're trying to do Atkins, read the entire book- Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Some of us refer to it as DANDR. It appears to me, from your menu, that you are eating things that are not on the acceptable foods list for Induction. I think you will be much happier with your results when you dive in 100% and just really go for it! Keep posting, I really wish you well!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote