Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jewelr80
New to low carb diet - please help

Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been struggling with my weight for years. This is the first time I go on a low-carb diet. It's been three days now. I'm not sure I'm doing it right however. Can someone tell me whether I'm doing it right please? Here's what I've eaten over the past three days:

Day 1
  • Caesar Salad (3 carbs.)
  • 3 pcs.Mortadella (2 carbs)
  • 2 cheesy cauliflower pancakes(3 carbs)
  • Cajun Chichen (7 carbs.)
  • Califlower egg fried rice (6 carbs.)
  • Diet soda
  • Apple with cinnamon(21.1 carbs)

Day 2
•Caesar salad (3 carbs.)
•4 pcs. Mortadella (2 carbs)
•Cajun Chichen(7 carbs.)
•Califlower egg fried rice (6 carbs.)
•Diet soda
•4 hamburger patties (thin) (4 carbs)
•2 tblsp. Cheddar cheese (0 carbs)
•Lettuce
•1 tbls. Sour cream (0.61 carbs)
•2 tblsp. Salsa (2 carbs)
•Green onions

Day 3
•Caesar salad (3 carbs.)
•3 pcs. Mortadella (2 carbs)
•3 hamburger patties (thin) (3 carbs)
•Cheddar cheese (0 carbs)
•Lettuce
•1 tbls. Sour cream (0.61 carbs)
•2 tblsp. Salsa (2 carbs)
•Green onions
•Diet soda
•Diet center assorted salad
•3 broccoli cheese muffins (2 carbs.)

Thanks,
jewelr80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
What plan are you following?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I'm not following a specific plan. I just wanted to go on a low carb diet to restrict my intake of carbs. Will this help me lose weight?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
At first, if you are quite overweight, it may help...but you don't want to just lose a couple of pounds...so get a plan. Atkins, Protein Power...whatever you decide..but DO get the plan and READ IT!!! Certain types of carbs don't spike your insulin...and you lose weight. But carbs like apples, and other fruit, nuts, too much cheese (yep)...will hold back your weightloss. Doctor's write these plans and they work..I'm not a doctor...so I'll just read and do the plan.

The last two days were better, but you are eating a lot of carbs...Protein Power (the original NOT the 'life plan' one) allows 30 grams of carb per day, spaced out, to give you an idea of how many carbs. But don't rely on yourself to know..get the book, read it...you'll really understand what's going on then, and won't face times of stalling and not knowing 'why'. Best of luck to you.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: heahyou00
Stats: 246/186/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2007
The fruit is usually not a good idea, it will slow down your losses, but if you are ok with slower losses then that is up to you.
heahyou00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Welcome to the forum!!! Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have!

Here are my thoughts:

I think you'd be better off without the diet soda. I drink them too, so I'm not wagging my finger in your face, I'm just saying. I try to keep them to a bare minimum. Some say they keep them from losing weight, and most have caffeine, and all have artificial colors, preservatives, chemicals, phosphates, etc. My doctor has been telling me to give diet soda the heave ho for years.

If your salsa is not homemade, just be careful as it can vary from brand to brand. Those hidden carbs will get you!!!

I'm not sure what's in a "broccoli cheese muffin." I'm assuming it's made of almond flour or something? If you didn't make it, I'd check the ingredients label.

Your menu looks pretty good to me other than that.
Here are some general tips for a beginner that I wish I had known when I started.

Granulated Splenda DOES have carbs. "Maltodextrin" is used as a bulking agent and it is a form of sugar. Liquid sucralose does NOT have carbs. Available online.

Secondly, in America, food manufacturers are allowed to LIE to us. If one serving of a food comes in at .4 grams of carb or less, they are allowed to call it "ZERO CARBS" on the label. This can and will happen on things like the Splenda I just mentioned and many condiments and foods where the carbs are in fact low, just not 0 as the label claims. We call these carbs "hidden" carbs. Look out for them.

Keep up the good work, and GOOD LUCK!!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your menu looks ok but honestly, it can be so much better if you have a plan and stick to the food allowances. That way you are not tripping yourself up unwittingly. I suggest any of the Dr. Atkins' plans - they are all excellent.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your advice.I will surely take all you have said into consideration. I decided to go on a low carb diet after I discovered Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes. I decided to create my own menus using her recipes. Now, I don't know if this conts as a plan? I had the apple the first day because I was craving sweets and I knew I would give everything up if I didn't satisfy my sweet tooth somehow I was miraculously able to control my craving the following two days.The broccoli cheese muffin is made of cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, broccoli and eggs. I guess that's ok, right? Thanx again everyone.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
The best thing for any low carb diet is to get a book and read it and choose a plan. I do Atkins and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution to me is the best they call it DANDR. If you go to any thrift store especially the Goodwill you can almost always find a copy. Read this and it will help you understand the science behind why this works.

Induction gets you into fat burning mode and you can only eat 20 grams of carbs a day for 2 weeks. But it depends on what foods those carbs come from and fruit like Apples are not induction foods.

Read the newbie page that they have to explain.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Welcome and lots of success. Don't take it wrong when I quote you now to highlight why you need a plan.
"I had the apple the first day because I was craving sweets and I knew I would give everything up if I didn't satisfy my sweet tooth somehow I was miraculously able to control my craving the following two days."
If you read up a bit on the theory of why low carb works and why you had a sweet craving you would have differentiated this craving from previous low fat cravings and addressed it another way. The reason why you were craving is that you are detoxing from carbs and your body screams for them. Eating carbs of any kind to calm them is postponing results. On low carb you reach for protein or fat depending on your plan. The reason why you probably had less cravings the second day is that the detox kicked in in spite of the apple which does have carbs, but possibly not enough to damage with just one.

Now I am following a plan of my own on what I think is based on "the best of ", but it takes a lot of reading and sorting wheat from the chaff. And I could be wrong and I have been wrong.

By all means, choose your own recipes, but choose them according to a plan. That way you do not counteract the different reactions hi protein or hi fat plans produce.

Again welcome.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 05-23-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: more explanation
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelr80 View Post
Thank you for your advice.I will surely take all you have said into consideration. I decided to go on a low carb diet after I discovered Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes. I decided to create my own menus using her recipes. Now, I don't know if this conts as a plan? I had the apple the first day because I was craving sweets and I knew I would give everything up if I didn't satisfy my sweet tooth somehow I was miraculously able to control my craving the following two days.The broccoli cheese muffin is made of cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, broccoli and eggs. I guess that's ok, right? Thanx again everyone.
You can read up about low carbing on the internet. Under 100 carbs per day is actually considered a low carb plan. Learn about NET carbs. that is the total carbs, minus fiber and/or sugar alcohols.

I follow my own moderate carb, limit calorie plan now. I eat up to 60 net carbs per day. I lost 3 lbs this week You do not have to follow a written plan on the market out there. Many do their own plans and do very well.
This week, losing 3 lbs., I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted but within my limits of carbs and calories.

best of luck to you. You can easily make a lower/moderate plan work for you.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Although I firmly believe that following a plan will yield the best results, for someone just starting out, doing what your doing may be best.
By that I mean, your experimenting with different lc foods THAT YOU LIKE, and getting advice from those with experience.
I say not stritctly following a plan at first may be best because that's what I did and it worked really well. In the beginning if someone were to tell me, "measure this, count that" and so on, I would have failed miserably. Instead I tried different things and started losing right away. I ate as much as I wanted so I wasn't hungry, I just ate foods with little or no carbs.
So, go for it. Try it your way. Have fun experimenting with this new way of eating (woe)
and let us know how it works for you.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

It's been a week now and I can really feel the difference! I haven't weighed myself yet. I have decided to do so two weeks into it. I'm so scared the results might discourage me (which usually happens whenever I go on a diet). I'm beginning to be more conscious of what I'm eating and trying out different low carb recipes, counting my carbs and sticking to the servings. I love Linda's low carb recipes! They have helped me so much. I tend to agree with Avid. For a person who was gorging on carbs all day, I know I would have never been able to stick to a diet that was strict at the beginning. I love that I'm experimenting and finding out what works best for me. Wish me luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
honestly, it can be so much better if you have a plan
I agree, find a plan and follow it.

Its impossible for us to tell you if your meals are "ok" or "conform to the rules" because this is all your own rules.

If you want to do your own thing - its fine... but just don't get frustrated if you don't lose as much weight as if you were following a specific diet plan.

Some plans limit protein and emphasize more fat.... others limit fats more.... some allow more carbs like apples... others would prohibit apples in the beginning.... there is A LOT of variation.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I agree with it probably being better to kick out the diet drinks. They can act as "sugar like substance" and make you more hungry than you need to be. Secondly I would advise that you read up on plans,specifically why things are recommended. The recommendation about no diet drinks with Aspartame is an Atkins one for example and probably echoed in other plans. You will need to know the reasons why it is bad to go zero carb, what happens to your body if you do and why you do not want that. In short you need to become an expert on how what goes into your body affects you. As this does not happen over night choosing a near enough plan,changing out what you don't like while informing yourself what happens when you do might be good middle ground.

Minus the soda drinks I think you are doing great by the way. My recommendation is for the longer term when you have gone through the honymoon stage and need to know more about the whys and whynots of locarb.

Another practical thing to do is measure yourself. If you do not see the desired pounds lost you will almost always see a difference in body composition.

Continued success and good luck !

Last edited by Aleina; 05-27-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: rapid typing omissions corrected
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
It is good to weigh yourself, so you know if your plan is working. Now, why do your hamburgers have one carb each? Ground beef should not have any carbs.
My advice is to stay with real foods. Eggs, meat, vegetables. But, if you can lose while eating fruit, enjoy it.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
Welcome to low carbing!! I started doing New Atkins with my husband and he gets off plan often but i have stayed on plan for almost a year. My weight loss has been very slow but i feel so much better eating this way. So don't get discouraged too easily. You will always get good advice and support from the members here.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
It is good to weigh yourself, so you know if your plan is working. Now, why do your hamburgers have one carb each? Ground beef should not have any carbs.
My advice is to stay with real foods. Eggs, meat, vegetables. But, if you can lose while eating fruit, enjoy it.
Ground beef may have some carbs, as muscle stores glycogen. Here's an interesting thread from a few years ago: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/or...ave-carbs.html
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Jewlr - first of all, welcome! And thanks for coming here. I honestly would not have been able to adopt this LC WOE (Low Carb Way of Eating) without this forum and these wonderful Low Carb Friends! So much good and HONEST advice. There is much enouragement and advice, but I also appreciate when someone gives me the kick in the butt I need. You may be seeing a bit of this from the many responses to your original post, but don't let that get you down or feel shy of posting additional questions. It's all part of the learning process. 2nd: yes, getting a book, or looking up a particular plan, will help you to discover all the truly wonderful foods you CAN eat on a LC diet, and the foods you should avoid, plus teach you why LC helps in weight loss and overall health improvement. For me, knowing the why strengthened my resolve and helped me differentiate LC from the many, MANY fad diets I have tried to lose weight (unsuccessfully). Truly, just reading as much as you can is so helpful, but at the very least, know what foods are best to eat, and which foods are not. 3rd: I so applaud you in jumping in and learning right away that LC foods can make delicious meals, as Linda's recipes can testify. I'm a fan of hers, too (White Castle Pie and Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff -mmmm!). 4th: if you're serious about losing weight and improving your health, don't think of this as a diet, but a way of eating and a new way of life. If not, you may lose some pounds, but if you go back to your old way of eating, the weight will come back, along with the discouragement and self-doubt so many of us feel when we think we "failed" ourselves. So keep up the good work, learn as much as you can, keep experimenting, keep coming to LCF and soon we'll be reading your advice posts to others needing support and encouragement!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #20

Wow, thanks for the link. That was very interesting to read!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I have to agree with Avid too. Jewelr80, you are using your head and knowing yourself in that you knew you were detoxing the first day and had the sense to have an apple instead of something worse. It was day 1 and I think you did great! You seem to have a lot of common sense. The thing about reading the books is that each have their own oerspective and slight twist so they differentiate themselves from each other and sell books. You know what you like. You seem to know to keep it under or around 20-30 carbs a day. You like what you are making/cooking and are more apt to continue. There is plenty of time to educate yourself. It is smart to not get on the scale for two weeks and focus on what you are doing. I weigh once a month because if I eat what I think is right, then the number on the scale will take care of itself. I have no control over the number and weighing oneself can become its own compulsion. Focus on one day at a time. Keep up the good work.

You said by the end of the first week, you felt better. Something was working. Because the whole point of low carbing is to get healthy and feel better so we can do this for a lifetime not as a diet. I stayed at 20 carbs for just two weeks back in 2001. After that I gradually increased the carbs until I reached about 95-100 a day by the third year. I get about 30 grams of fiber from veggies, a fruit and greek yogurt. I continued to lose over the years. Was it at breakneck speed? No, but guess what, the weight is gone and I am still here because I learned new healthy habits over the years. It stopped being a diet after the 2nd year and became my lifestyle plan. I feel great too not bad for a 65 yr old grandma.

Best wishes as you search for what works for you.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #22

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all your comments and advice everyone. I have gone through my second week and I'm feeling great. I can feel that I've lost weight because my body has changed so much since I first started. I actually decided to weigh myself after two more weeks (a month). I have been reading and getting as much information as I can about low-carbing. I haven't had any apples!LOL! I still have sugar cravings though. Right now, my strategy is just to distract myself, brush my teeth or have a sugar free chewing gum. Will these cravings ever subside?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Will these cravings ever subside
Absolutely.
I have a bit of a sweet tooth and so use liquid splenda in coffee, tea, and some food like yogurt or sour cream.
BUT.....I don't have cravings per se. I just know that I like things to taste a certain way.
The biggest advantage of Atkins LC over most other diet plans out there is that when you drastically reduce the carbs, you usually don't get so hungry that you have to overeat. Being in ketosis will really suppress apetite, but vlc will do it to.
Good luck to you.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelr80 View Post
Thank you so much for all your comments and advice everyone. I have gone through my second week and I'm feeling great. I can feel that I've lost weight because my body has changed so much since I first started. I actually decided to weigh myself after two more weeks (a month). I have been reading and getting as much information as I can about low-carbing. I haven't had any apples!LOL! I still have sugar cravings though. Right now, my strategy is just to distract myself, brush my teeth or have a sugar free chewing gum. Will these cravings ever subside?
Welcome! You are doing great! Your menu looks so good, it's giving me some new ideas....
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

I've finally weighed in after 3 weeks of low-carbing. Although I kept my carb intake to 20 carbs per day or often less, I have only lost 8 pounds. I feel disappointed. I have always been a slow loser and my weight loss usually shows in sizes, but I was expecting more this time. Here's a example of what I ate during these 2 weeks:
Day1
3 slices breakfast meat strips (6 carbs)
Crunchy Salas (lettuce, purple lettuce, few shreds of carrots and (1 tblsp. Dressing) (2 carbs)
1 slice Low-carb Pizza (4 carbs)
1 slice Low-carb Pizza (4 carbs)
Greek Salad
total: 16 carbs
Day 2

Crunchy salad (1 carb
1/2 ham and Swiss cheese quiche (3 carbs)
1/2 cup cauliflower rice (3 carbs)
1 Amy’s Chicken Parm breast (5 carbs)
1 cream cheese cloud (1 carb)
1/2 diet soda
Tuna Salad (2 hard boiled eggs (1.12 carbs), 1 can smoked tuna in oil (0 carbs), 2 tblsp mayo, 1 tblsp (0.25 carbs)
ranch dressing (1 carb), 6 sweet pickles (1 carb), lettuce)
1 diet soda
total: 16.37 carbs

What am I doing wrong? (I know I should skip the diet sodas. I tried, but I can't seem to get rid of the habit yet!)
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You're seriously undercounting the carb grams in your salads, I can tell you that first off.

Also, I don't know how much you have to lose, but eight pounds in three weeks is great! I don't know what kind of losses you were expecting, but eating low carb is an effective way to lose weight and a healthy way to eat, but it isn't a miracle.

Also, the closer you are to a healthy goal weight, the more slowly you're going to lose.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #28

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
8 pounds in 3 weeks is 138 pounds a year. Put another way, at that rate, you'll lose 50 lbs in 4 months. I'd take it. Low carb isn't a miracle--it's a healthy, steady way to eat, and it sounds like you're doing fine.

For sweets cravings, think outside the box. Have a dill pickle or something fatty like cream cheese. Sometimes when we think we're craving sugar we're actually craving fat or a mineral. THe only way I know to keep sweets cravings at bay is to go low low carb, whatever that means for you. For me, it is well under 20 net carbs, from veggies, cheese, and the traces in eggs and such.

Last edited by emel; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #29

You have no fresh meat? It seems your meat is from a box, why is that? I would keep it simple, meat, vegetables. Less cheese and condiments. No sweet pickles.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
You have no fresh meat? It seems your meat is from a box, why is that? I would keep it simple, meat, vegetables. Less cheese and condiments. No sweet pickles.
Good advice!

I'm new too. My rate of weight loss has been similar (I think...my brain is hard wired to think in kilograms )

I was wondering if you are tracking your macros (carbs, protein, fat) using an online counter. You really have to be meticulous and record every little thing (at first) to get a true indication of your actual levels of carbs. The little buggers hide where you least expect it
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote