Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I agree with "hot potato" .... Using a tracker is a good way to be accountsble and fine tune your eating. Ive been eating low carb for more than 10 years - think of it as a lifestyle rather than a diet.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jewelr80
I've just started using an online tracker. I think this will give me a clearer perspective of what I'm eating. As for the pickles, I used the No Sugar added Mt. Olives sweet pickles (sweetened with Splenda).
jewelr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

I'm into my fourth week. Today I have sugar cravings like crazy. I've tried everything, but I can't shake it off. I'm determined not to ruin everything I have done up until now, but I feel almost sick. I haven't had cravings for two weeks. I don't know how this started. I haven't changed anything about my diet. I'm tracking what I'm eating (I have 20 carbs or below), I'm not feeling hungry. However, I'm craving sugar so bad my body is itching!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Try to do something to distract yourself. Or , over eat with on plan foods. Sometimes some high fat foods, like eggs or a ribeye will kill the cravings.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelr80 View Post
I'm into my fourth week. Today I have sugar cravings like crazy. I've tried everything, but I can't shake it off. I'm determined not to ruin everything I have done up until now, but I feel almost sick. I haven't had cravings for two weeks. I don't know how this started. I haven't changed anything about my diet. I'm tracking what I'm eating (I have 20 carbs or below), I'm not feeling hungry. However, I'm craving sugar so bad my body is itching!
It took me months to truly get over the cravings. Also things like hormones (TOM) will still give me incredible cravings sometimes. On those days, I try to enjoy something truly decadent and high in fat but low in carbs. One time I made my dh take me out for lobster and I asked for extra butter. Of course, that isn't always an option, but a good steak with some butter or some thick cut bacon will usually fit the bill, too. That is me though. Pick some of your favorite low carb/high fat foods and enjoy. On those days, don't worry about calories.

At least that is what works for me and helps keep me on plan. I've been at this for almost 11 months -- about 9 months longer than I stuck with anything else. I am down 60 pounds now, but even more important than reaching goal is learning how to LIVE and make this an enjoyable and very doable way of life. For the first time in my life, I feel like I will succeed and be able to maintain, and you will, too.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree with Beachy. Feed your craving but not with sugar. A fat bomb without any sugar almost tastes sweet to me, and very satiating. Or bullet proof coffee or tea can taste like an indulgence. Don't feed your craving with sugar. Are you using artificial sweetners? If so, you might consider eliminating them. THey work for some people, but with others they keep the sugar monster alive.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelr80 View Post
Could be a mineral deficiency.
Magnesium 250-500 mg or eat 1/2 to 1 oz nuts. watch the quantity.
(if you crave chocolate, it is almost certainly magnesium deficiency)

L-glutamine. best if you take 500 mg early morning, mid-morning, and midafternoon daily until cravings subside, but in a pinch you can take 500-1000 mg when the cravings arise.

Chromium (I use GTF Chromium, 500 mcg--- that's micrograms, not milligrams). I only take it early evening but some people take it both afternoon and evening

ETA--- I almost didn't mention the nuts as a magnesium source because it is so easy to go overboard on them. But some people are resistant to taking supplements. Another food source of magnesium is dark leafy greens, particulary spinach, so that would be a nice dinner choice.

Last edited by emel; 06-12-2013 at 07:53 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all. Now I know what I need to do if another craving hits. Come to think of it, I think that my cravings were triggered by my hormones (TOM) yesterday. I is my first month on this diet and I guess I haven't experienced the hormonal cravings yet. I feel much better today though. I am currently not taking any vitamins or supplements. That's another thing you've drawn my attention to. Thank you emel. I was craving chocolate specifically, so I guess I need a magnesium supplement. Will any multivitamin do the trick?