Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
support needed

Hi guys,

I have been on a 3 day "binge" of sorts.
I was doing SO well BUT have screwed up lately-I am feeling pretty down about it too.

I am not sure why? I don't know if it's self sabotage or anxiousness about work and stuff that is getting the best of me.

Just needed to vent---ad reach out to people who understand.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sorry to hear this, Luca. Sending you a big hug.
Any clues in your diet that might have given rise to the binge?
I know anxiety and its tricks, but is there a chance you just got too hungry and that was the trigger?
The good news is that the fix is easy (haha!), just start clean eating right now. Can you do that? You will feel better in just a few short days.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Was it a binge or eating off plan foods? How you look at it really helps getting on track. In the scheme of things eating off plan will not really sabotage your way of eating long term any more than eating LC for a couple days would help if you eat junk as a way of eating. That being said, I think part of this process is guilt . I think guilt helps to get you back on trAck. It's ok! Eventually, you make peace with food and eating and may get to a point where you can control your off plan eating and not beat yourself up over it. Venting and recognizing that you will mess up all yiur hard work is part of the process of making good choices for yourself.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
Thanks already.
I was binging AND eating off plan foods.
I NEED to get back on track-the thought of going backwards frightens me!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trinchick
Stats: 177/161/145
WOE: Mod carb (under 100g) whole foods - primalish?
Start Date: March 2013
A few days of eating healthfully won't make you skinny so a few days of binging won't make you fat. It's what you do consistently that counts. Just write it off as a three-day delay to reaching your goal.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
A few days of eating healthfully won't make you skinny so a few days of binging won't make you fat. It's what you do consistently that counts. Just write it off as a three-day delay to reaching your goal.

Thinking of you, Luca!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry you hear you have been struggling Luca. At some point in our journey this is going to be something that we need to deal with.

Stress is probably the biggest issue when it comes to staying on plan and losing weight for me. I think of it as a physical reaction that drives the body to crave extra food as it would in times of lean eating.

Obviously we no longer need to have that stress-er to encourage extra eating. Recognizing the issue allows me to deal with it more constructively. Just being mindful of what is going on helps. Hope this helps you too.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I am sorry you have been stressed. :hug: the thing to do is get right back on track asap. Everybody has these moments the trick is to be sure not to allow them to distract you away from your goal.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am a stress and emotional eater too. It is difficult to stop in the middle of a strong urge to eat off plan foods in copious amounts. But I have been learning to do just that. When I want food, especially off plan craptastic food, I literally stop what I am doing and review what is going on in my life. I am usually stressed and worried about something and do not know how to deal with the stress or I am emotional, usually hurt or mad about something that has happened. It takes every bit of strength I have to get off the hamster wheel in my mind urging me to eat and to sit with the uncomfortable feelings I'd rather not feel. If I can do this I can start to think more clearly about the urge to eat and how it only makes things worse.

It is easy to rationalize eating more and more when you are in the throes of of a binge. I would suggest that you take yourself out of your normal setting where you like to binge (at home, in the car going through a drive thru,,,) and go somewhere that is peaceful and comfortable for you to be able to think about what is going, what your real priorities are on and how to deal with the problem. It is hard to do this and be honest with yourself, but it is harder gaining weight and feeling like crap about yorself on top of all your other problems.

When I work through the stressor or emotion I usually feel a wave of relief and a drastic lessening of the urge to binge. I also write out things I need to do to stay on plan, kind of like a checklist. Do I need to talk to someone who has hurt my feelings? Do I need to tell someone at work I need help or that they are not doing their job? Do I need to get rid of craptastic food I bought yesterday that is just sitting in the kitchen calling my name when I am in a weak state? Do I need to have a plan in place such as going for a walk or taking a long shower to give myself time to think when I feel the urge to eat bubble up again? Do I need to be mindful of how I am feeling when I am in the car so I do not pull up to a drive thru? Do I need to shop for the best LC foods I love to get back on plan and to plan out three days of food and stick to that plan?

You can get out of the feeling you are in now, feeling bad and like you screwed up. It happened, it is now in the past and you can't do anything but learn from it. Make the this work for you. Do you know how good you will feel when you get things straight and back on plan? You can do it because you've done it before and you deserve to feel great about yourself and only you can do that. Focus on what you can do and the binge urge will recede. I feel like the urge to binge comes along when I am unsure and floundering. When I have a plan and follow it it doesn't have a chance. You really can do it.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lose4life
Stats: 310/281/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
I'm going through the same thing. I just started to eat off plan and now can't get back into it. I do good for breakfast and lunch then pig out for dinner. I'm struggling with this
lose4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013

Lots of great ideas here. I particularly like the idea of getting out of the house and doing a little thinking about what that stress is made of---one thing's for sure, whatever the initial stressful problem, the stress has been engaged and grown by binging. And the great thing is, just acknowledging to yourself what the stresses are goes a great distance to relieving them. Sometimes we run around thinking we know why we're upset, but it's all in our head---a stream of conscious thing. We find out a lot more when we either say it out loud so we can hear our thoughts for what they are, or write them down.

I also like the idea of making a good eating plan for the next three days. The three binging days are past, done, untouchable and unchangeable. But the three days ahead are still all yours to do what you decide to do. Just the act of writing out that plan will be a great relief to you, and it is very empowering, suggesting to yourself you're in the driver's seat again.

Remember this. We don't binge when we're stressed because we're just naughty and/or weak, we binge when we're stressed because our bodies are releasing the cortisol hormone. And you know what we call that hormone? It's the "I'm freaking hungry" hormone, as eliciting hunger is the number one trait of cortisol. So releasing that stress anyway you can is paramount to getting back on track. Eating better will help begin that process.

Best news? You know you don't want to go back, and you're here saying so, which means you want to nip this thing in the bud. And you will, and when you do you'll realize these last three days are just a little blip in an otherwise very successful effort on your part. Rescue all that effort you've made, so you can carry on with more effort...and more success.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Have you tried adding a substantial snack (with fat) in the afternoon?
I find BPC really staves off hunger in the evening.
Or maybe you could try a fatbomb?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
My was in regards to phranquie's wise words.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote