Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm stuck

I won't say stall, because it hasn't been 6 weeks, but I can't seem to drop those last couple of pounds. I'm doing all the things I usually do when I really get serious about losing a pound or two. By that I mean cutting back on dairy, eating fewer nuts, and slightly smaller portions.
I eat very lc. Typically'

breakfast....one or two egg omelett with some meat and veggies. The veggies are a handful of Birds Eye frozen Normandy Blend which is a mix of broccoli, carrots, zucchini, squash, cauliflower, and another handful of greens. When i'm going for that next pound of fat, I limit the carrots.

lunch....actually it's more of a snack, usually after the gym. A small handful of Walnuts, and about 1/4 cup of berries...this week it's blueberries. I know they are a little carbier than say blackberries, but that's what I have. I usually mix this with some sf troani sweetened sour cream, but like I said, this week I'm skipping that part.

dinner...again a healthy handful of greens and the Normandy blend.
Meat, a favorite is Roast beef, (grass fed organic), and maybe some cheese.
In the morning I use co with my veggies, in the evening I use evoo.

That's it in terms of food. I mean that's pretty sparse dontcha think?

My big indulgence is coffee....I drink about 4-5 cups a day. I use liquid splenda and hwc. I drink both caffeinated and decaf.

So there it is....I've weighed the same for the past 3 weeks. I work out regularly but it doesn't seem to matter whether I do or not.

I feel great. But my clothes were hanging off of me, so I went out and bought all new pants, and a few shirts. The shirts are fine, but I got the pants a little snug, anticipating continuing weight loss. The pants do fit, but I need to lose another couple of pounds to have them fit more comfortably.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
How many lbs do you think you have left to lose? If it is less than 10 lbs then 3 weeks is not a stall definitely. The weight loss may not show up for several weeks. Also as you get closer to goal the amount of weight loss is less and less. It eventually slows to a pound or less a month. And if you have stubborn fat areas, it may not even come off at all without changing your strategy. Are you counting calories? This is very important if you are close to goal. If you aren't you will plateau for sure and stay there indefinitely. So if you still need to lose weight and you hit a long term plateau you must start counting calories, it is the only way to keep losing, based on my experience.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
What most call a stall is simply the body getting used to the new weight. I remained the same weight until last week since March 25th! There's another gal in my Calorie Counting Thread that is going through the same thing. We about started our so called stall at the same time which is funny.

But we both have hung in there and finally we're seeing a bit of movement. Focus and consistency are your friends.

Might google "Body weight set-points".
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I"m really close to what I call my 'ultimate goal'
Looking at me, most people would probably say I'm at a good weight.
All the charts say so too, but that being said, I want to lose another 3 pounds
just so my new clothes fit more comfortably, and I have a little 'cushion' if needed.
As for calories.......hmmmmmm........I had pretty much gotten away from minding my calorie intake. I learned that for me, weight loss was all about the carbs.
But I dunno, Punkin, your results are impressive so when you speak, I listen.
I guess I'll take a closer look at my calorie count.
And yes, It occured to me that I'm so close to goal that my weight loss will have slowed to a crawl. It's just frustrating for me because I never had this much trouble losing that "next pound"
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
At the last six I was losing about an eighth of a pound a week...than I started doing a little walking, and some light resistance exercise, not a lot...but it helped budge it at more than a 1/4 pound a week on average. Oh..walnuts are one of my biggest 'stallers' (they ARE goitrogenic to thyroid too...they bind up the thyroid hormones...so you might want to take those out, and add in a few almonds or macadamias
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How much HWC do you use in each cup of coffee?
Do you measure?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: un4givun2
fasting

Avid,

This happens to me all the time. I've been doing this since 1995. I have a 100% guaranteed way to "restart" your weight loss without too much drama, but it does take 2 to 3 days.

1) I assume you have been an "avid" low carber! LOL, had to get that in. You've probably gone 3-6 months losing 1 to 3 pounds a week and suddenly you can't lose anymore????

2) For 1 day don't eat any carbs and do some moderate exercise to further reduce your glycogen stores.

3) On Day 2 eat only breakfast and lunch. Skip dinner and get at least 8 hours of sleep that night.

4) On the morning of Day 3 get up and do High Intensity Interval Training for just 16-18 minutes. You need to do at least 5 intervals that are full blast for 30 seconds each. If you can do 3 more for a total of 8 it is even better. The last 3 or 4 intervals can be at a lower intensity. You can do this outside with no gym equipment. Just mark off 100 yards and SPRINT as hard as you can! You don't have to go the full 30 seconds, but you need to get your heart rate up to 150+ in order for this to work and keep it at that rate or higher for 20 minutes. For most people that works out to 8 sprints, 20-30 seconds long, with about a 2 or 3 minute breather between each sprint. A Heart Rate Monitor will aid you tremendously on this!

This can also be done indoors with an exercise bike or elliptical using the same 30sec-sprint/2min-rest cycle for 8 cycles.

5) After you are finished with the HIIT, drink at least 16 ounces of water. Then when you are ready to eat, eat another NO-Carb meal.

This entire event takes 3 days. What this does is it forces the pancreas to secret Glucagon. This will actually happen around the 7th hour of sleep on the night of Day 2. Glucagon is the hormone that extracts fat from the fat cells. Getting up and doing HIIT instead of eating forces you to BURN the fat that glucagon just released. This sets the stage for more glucagon to be released. When you follow this with a NO CARB meal that is high in fat (bacon and eggs) it suppresses insulin even further. By the end of day 3 you can go back to eating the low carb veggies like squash and cabbage and you should notice a 2 or 3 pound drop in weight is just a couple of days AFTER doing this. So if you start today, you should lose 2-3 pounds by Saturday morning.

I've been on a strict low carb diet for 5 months now and I do this every week now to lose 2 pounds a week. I time it so that I fast on Friday night, get 10 hours of sleep Saturday morning, and then do my HIIT exercise. I also follow up on my HIIT with 1-2 hours of strength training and then eat my NO CARB breakfast at NOON. This gives me a full 24 hour fast, 10+ hours of sleep, and 2 hours of workout. Otherwise, I stall out at 182 and can't go any lower. I'm at 174 right now after doing this 4 weeks in a row. The first time I did this I was 31 and I was losing 3-5 pounds a week! At age 46, all I can manage is 2 pounds a week.
un4givun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
How much HWC do you use in each cup of coffee?
Do you measure?
This was the red flag for me too. There are 821 calories in a cup of HWC. If drinking 4 cups a day, and getting close to even half of that , you're getting more calories from coffee thank your meals. I bet if you cut that out, you'll be at goal in a week. But why go completely without so just limit and get there in a couple of weeks. You're doing great!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, lots of good stuff here.
thanks.
As you can see from my menu's I'm on a pretty sparse diet, but it's ok because I'm ok with it. Problem is, I don't think cutting down on anything else will stick. I've given up bread, rice, pasta, bananas, fries, cake, cookies, coca-cola, beer, chocolate, gravy, apples, grapes, pancakes, and ice cream.....to name a few.
I'M TIRED OF GIVING STUFF UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna hold my breath till I turn blue and lose 3 more stinkin' pounds.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Avid, your food plan looks really good. I think that since your are down to the last 3lbs to lose, you are probably going to have a pretty slow go of it since you are essentially at a very healthy weight now with not much fat to lose. If you really want to push it I think the only things that I would consider "extras" you are already cutting back on with the dairy and walnuts and carrots. I think that you are doing exactly the right thing and you will just have be patient with the slow loss as your body fights before giving up those last pounds.

Some people do have luck with intermittent fasting by shortening the window of time that you have available to eat. I often do this naturally for a few weeks and this may be something you consider just to mix things up a bit. You'll eat the same foods but probably just in two big meals within a six hour window. Not sure it would work but it is an easy thing to try. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I have tried IF but it doesn't work for me. Actually it backfires because I get so hungry that I eat more than if I just had my regular food.
The more I think about the more I have to (reluctantly) agree that the hwc is prolly the culprit. There is alot of sense to the fact that I should be patient, stick to my plan and let the last pounds drop in time.
But I really want to get those pants fitting better so I'm impatient.
The consensus seems to be "calories"....and HWC is pretty calorie dense. I like tea, and so could substitute that for coffee half the time. I use way less hwc in the tea so it would cut back on a bunch of calories.
You guys are really helping me.
Thank you so much.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
You might want to try almond or coconut milk, if you find you really don't want to lose the coffee. It is a no deal for DH, if he had to give up coffee. But he finds the silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk a decent substitute.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Yanno, a really cool guy from here (LJGuitar) once told me that he and his family mixed HWC half and half with water. Said I'd 'never miss the other half'. He was SO right (if he's still here, thank you!!!). Seriously, after about three days, I didn't miss the other half of the HWC. Been doing it for a year now.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: un4givun2
Like I said, it takes more than just IF to "restart" the low carb weight loss. All IF does is lower the stored glucose levels. This is the "bullet". It's up to you to pull the trigger. A good 8+ hours of sleep with plenty of water during and after the IF is a must. This sets the stage for glucagon to do its magic. Most people over 40 won't see the magic happen unless they go do something that requires lots of energy in short burst.

Go do NO CARB for 2 days, do IF on the last meal of the 2nd day, and then do HIIT on the 3rd day while still in the fasting mode. Drink lots of water.

You will lose weight doing this and RAPIDLY. I do this once a week. I've lost 25 pounds since March 3rd. I just finished off a 16 oz ribeye steak with a cup of steamed broccoli. I have just 2 pounds to lose to reach my goal of 172. I was 199 as of March 3rd. I was losing weight with no problem until late April. The last 8+ pounds I've lost have been from using this method. The best part is I feel GREAT doing it!
un4givun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Try to remember that "weight loss" and "fat loss" are not the same thing necessarily. I keep dropping my body fat percentage, but my weight goes up and down. For fat loss you have to consistently under eat. That is why it is important to count calories. You have to eat less that your daily required calorie needs. If you are close to goal, you will fat stored in tissues that will not be willing to give up the stored fat so easily. If fatty acids are not released from these stubborn fat deposits, you will feel hungry and not be able to under eat. That is why it gets more and more difficult to lose fat when you get closer to goal. Whenever I feel hungry for example I don't eat more food, I go sit on my heating pad. This is especially true when I know I am getting close to my daily intake of 1500cal. I know I shouldn't be hungry, the trick is keeping your body in the catabolic state, so you can burn off more of your bodyfat.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Avid, just curious, what is it that makes you think that 131 is THE number. If it weren't for the pants that you want to fit better, are you comfortable in the body you have now? Most folks would consider a window of 3-5 pounds a safe cushion for maintenance.

I am losing 1-2 pounds a month now. It is okay as I am not trying to lose anymore but if I do, that's okay. I know if I want to have a rich food day with bacon for example, I can, and just accept it is part of a normal lifestyle. I imagine if you are meant to lose more weight, you will, without a whole lot of machinations and tweaking to your foodplan. What you have done has worked so far and I would trust your gut. The HWC adjustment makes sense but if you want it on any given day, treat yourself. Please don't feel that there is a need to deprive yourself. You aren't dieting, you are living.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

You sit on your heating pad?
Pray tell what is that about?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to everyone for your input.
I think calories must be taken into consideration at this point because my carb intake is so low.
As for 131 being "the" number.....It isn't the number per se, but it is all about the pants. LOL sounds funny but it's true. I feel great and that is wonderfu. Yes, I am pleased with how I look, but not thrilled. I do still have a bit of a pouch under my waist and this is what is causing the pants to fit snugly...I say 3-4 pounds because that's all it will take in my estimation to lose enough fat to have the pants fit comfortably, and to have lost enough of the paunch to be completely proud of my physique.
This may sound a bit mad, but it's been decades since I've been proud of how I look. It would be a shame to get this close to really being proud of myself and not finish the job.
I want this, and I need to know I can succeed when I set a challenging personal goal.
I WILL do this.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by un4givun2 View Post
Avid,

This happens to me all the time. I've been doing this since 1995. I have a 100% guaranteed way to "restart" your weight loss without too much drama, but it does take 2 to 3 days.

1) I assume you have been an "avid" low carber! LOL, had to get that in. You've probably gone 3-6 months losing 1 to 3 pounds a week and suddenly you can't lose anymore????

2) For 1 day don't eat any carbs and do some moderate exercise to further reduce your glycogen stores.

3) On Day 2 eat only breakfast and lunch. Skip dinner and get at least 8 hours of sleep that night.

4) On the morning of Day 3 get up and do High Intensity Interval Training for just 16-18 minutes. You need to do at least 5 intervals that are full blast for 30 seconds each. If you can do 3 more for a total of 8 it is even better. The last 3 or 4 intervals can be at a lower intensity. You can do this outside with no gym equipment. Just mark off 100 yards and SPRINT as hard as you can! You don't have to go the full 30 seconds, but you need to get your heart rate up to 150+ in order for this to work and keep it at that rate or higher for 20 minutes. For most people that works out to 8 sprints, 20-30 seconds long, with about a 2 or 3 minute breather between each sprint. A Heart Rate Monitor will aid you tremendously on this!

This can also be done indoors with an exercise bike or elliptical using the same 30sec-sprint/2min-rest cycle for 8 cycles.

5) After you are finished with the HIIT, drink at least 16 ounces of water. Then when you are ready to eat, eat another NO-Carb meal.

This entire event takes 3 days. What this does is it forces the pancreas to secret Glucagon. This will actually happen around the 7th hour of sleep on the night of Day 2. Glucagon is the hormone that extracts fat from the fat cells. Getting up and doing HIIT instead of eating forces you to BURN the fat that glucagon just released. This sets the stage for more glucagon to be released. When you follow this with a NO CARB meal that is high in fat (bacon and eggs) it suppresses insulin even further. By the end of day 3 you can go back to eating the low carb veggies like squash and cabbage and you should notice a 2 or 3 pound drop in weight is just a couple of days AFTER doing this. So if you start today, you should lose 2-3 pounds by Saturday morning.

I've been on a strict low carb diet for 5 months now and I do this every week now to lose 2 pounds a week. I time it so that I fast on Friday night, get 10 hours of sleep Saturday morning, and then do my HIIT exercise. I also follow up on my HIIT with 1-2 hours of strength training and then eat my NO CARB breakfast at NOON. This gives me a full 24 hour fast, 10+ hours of sleep, and 2 hours of workout. Otherwise, I stall out at 182 and can't go any lower. I'm at 174 right now after doing this 4 weeks in a row. The first time I did this I was 31 and I was losing 3-5 pounds a week! At age 46, all I can manage is 2 pounds a week.
I'm so gonna try this!
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
YES, please tell us more about heating pad
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Avid I don't think you are eating enough actually.

breakfast is about 330 cals. give or take

lunch is about 300

dinner is about 550-650 range depending on meat choices

Using the high side of this you are at about 1380 cals for the day.

even if you add another 100 in some cream or so that is still low to me.

You are a guy working out. I would up those cals. a bit acutally.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Avid, there are no guarantees that if you lose another 4 lbs, that it will come from the area you want. Please be patient, your body will release more weight when it is ready. I agree with Trigger. If you want to reduce the HWC, great, try adding some veggies or something different. I know if I eat the same thing, it helps to change it up for a bit. I don't eat cheese because of a lactose problem and the sodium. A lot of time, it can be the sodium.

I sed to have a pouch below my waist before the pannus was removed. I had to wear a girdle to flatten it. Could you have the pants tailored to fit properly? You are giving an awful lot of power to the pants you bought. Perhaps practice a little aceeptance that things are exactly the way they are supposed to be at this moment in time and any change will happen in its own time.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

That's the problem with all my smaller pants.
I got rid of them because tight makes me feel bad and I know that after I lose more weight I need to buy a pair or two that fit, but I can't anticipate where I'll be losing. I am hoping for gut, but right now it's not looking to come off there first.
Can any of the pants be returned?
Anyway I think you are doing great, and you will probably fit in those pants but maybe not as quickly as you would like.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Mary made a fab point.

we all know that a size AB is never the same in any pants. So you shopped and bought a tigher size AB. I would return them, shop more and find a pair of size AB that fit me perfect

honestly I go thru about 6-8 pairs of size 14 pants before I find one that fits perfect!!

why buy a tight pair when there is a pair out there that is perfect with that size on it?

too much power to the pants!

and eat more food. your pic looks great. you lost well. time to round it all out now and enjoy your success!!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am training to enter a woman's figure competition. I have lost the right amount of body fat to get me into the right range for competing, however I have two large fat deposits right on the back of my legs. One of the problems with fat accumulation is that it tends to go on evenly but come off unevenly, so it can leave stubborn fat deposits in on certain areas of the body. Common ones are belly, butt, legs, arm waddles. It is more of a problem in older people, for example, when teenagers lose weight it tends not to happen. I am not sure why it is different for older people. Anyways, in order to try to encourage these problem areas to release the stored fat, you have to get circulation to these fat deposits, one of the ways to do this is to keep the area warm. This encourages blood flow which is needed to get the fatty acids to circulate to places in the body where they are needed for energy. It would be like a retail store being located out in the boonies, you can't get the products out to the customers if there is no public transportation for them to get there or shipping method to compensate. You need the transport system for it to happen. It is the same with FFAs. You need the blood flow so your body has access to the energy it needs. Otherwise you will go buy your products somewhere else. Ie. Eat more food!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

That's a good tip. Amazing the things I learn on this forum
I am in my early 60s and my probs are belly and the waddles. (ugh)
Maybe next winter I can sleep on my heating pad.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

I feel like that little guy from paradise Island
De plane De plane .....except for me it's 'de pants, de pants' LOL
Like I said, the pants fit but they are a little snug.
I am absolutely certain that if i lose another few pounds they will fit perfectly.
I am so glad that Mary Mary brought up acceptance. This is a spiritual concept
and I am a spiritual person. That being said, if after my current 'push' the pants are still
snug, then so be it....But I'm not there yet.
I believe that if I stay diligent with lc and my workout routine that I will gradually lose
body fat. The 3-4 pounds that I am determined to lose will not make me the svelt dreamboat my ego would love me to be.
It will however make me look trim in my new duds and give me a sense of accomplishment that is "priceless".
I'm actually glad that these last few pounds are proving to be a real challenge.
It will make the attainment of my goal that much more satisfying.
I love you guys
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger (why do I think of a palemino horse?) makes a good point about sizes, I am assuming it's true for men's sizes as wells as women's. I have one pair of 16s I am keeping, they are all cotton and have shrunk over the years I think. The are wonderfully worn and comfortable. Just wear them at home as they are really raggity. Ill be sad to see them go. I have 14s that are too small and too big, and just a few that are just right. I have several 12s that I can fit into. I am resisting the urge to buy anything more until the summer sales hit and I will try on (not order on line unless I KNOW the fit).

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am off now!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Avid I don't think you are eating enough actually.

breakfast is about 330 cals. give or take

lunch is about 300

dinner is about 550-650 range depending on meat choices

Using the high side of this you are at about 1380 cals for the day.

even if you add another 100 in some cream or so that is still low to me.

You are a guy working out. I would up those cals. a bit acutally.
I think he far exceeds 100 cals in HWC if he’s drinking it 4 to 5 times a day. I think you are right that the rest of his foods though.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I feel like that little guy from paradise Island
De plane De plane .....except for me it's 'de pants, de pants' LOL
Like I said, the pants fit but they are a little snug.
I am absolutely certain that if i lose another few pounds they will fit perfectly.
I am so glad that Mary Mary brought up acceptance. This is a spiritual concept
and I am a spiritual person. That being said, if after my current 'push' the pants are still
snug, then so be it....But I'm not there yet.
I believe that if I stay diligent with lc and my workout routine that I will gradually lose
body fat. The 3-4 pounds that I am determined to lose will not make me the svelt dreamboat my ego would love me to be.
It will however make me look trim in my new duds and give me a sense of accomplishment that is "priceless".
I'm actually glad that these last few pounds are proving to be a real challenge.
It will make the attainment of my goal that much more satisfying.
I love you guys
You can do it!