LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
How often do you weigh on the scale?

I am wondering how often I should weigh myself? I am a week into induction and have lost 7 pounds as of this morning. Yesterday I weighed and was down 8 so I have gone up a pound and I am sticking strictly to the 20 carbs a day, so I am wondering if this is normal? I worked out with free weights yesterday so I am not sure if that makes a difference too? Any information/suggestions would be appreciated!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome and congratulations on your 7 lbs.. You are off to a great start!.

I weigh everyday. I think it is important to remember that it is just one piece of information among many. It is also the trend over time that is most important.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
You can weigh however frequently you wish. If you choose to weigh daily, don't pay too much attention to daily fluctuations. What you are looking for is an overall downward trend. Tracking really helps me keep this in mind. While it may not feel like much from day to day, when I look at the three, six, and twelve month history I can see how far I've come.

I think it was either ntombi or trillex that compared weight loss to a ball bouncing down the stairs.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
Start Date: March 2, 2014
Thanks very much for the comments!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
I was becoming way to OCD with weighing myself EVERYTIME I walked past the scales! So I put the scales up, and I'm going to weigh myself the first of every month.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Lots of different opinions about this. If you get too hung up or discouraged about day to day changes, it can be better to weigh only once a week or even once a month. The scale is just one indicator, measurements and the feel of clothes are indicators as well.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jamaicagal
Stats: 145/120/120 @ 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: September 16,2003 a wk b4 my 1st wed. anniversary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome and congratulations on your 7 lbs.. You are off to a great start!.

I weigh everyday. I think it is important to remember that it is just one piece of information among many. It is also the trend over time that is most important.
I agree...I believe that I have stayed on track because I weigh every morning. But I'm in maintenance so as long as I keep within a certain range I'm good. But it's the trend I watch. Also I need a reality check when well meaning friends and family tell you that you look great and don't need to watch what you eat

When I just started I weighed everyday and it kept me motivated.
jamaicagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3kidsandasheltie
Stats: 230(highest)/110/110
WOE: low carb
I weigh everyday, I just need to to keep my self accountable. It took me a while to get use to those ups and downs, though
3kidsandasheltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I weigh every day, and chart my weight in a graph. That helps me. But if it is counterproductive to your progress to weigh daily, weekly, or even to weigh at all, don't do it. There is absolutely no reason to use scale weight as a measure of your success, because it only tells one part of the story. Some people only use measurements, or only use how clothes fit, or weigh monthly. It's all about what keeps you motivated and moving in the right direction.

Also, it's important to understand what the scale can't tell you, which is if you're losing fat. That's one reason I also measure myself monthly (and chart those measurements). Sometimes, your scale weight is stable, but your body is shrinking. If you only use scale weight, you might get frustrated and think things aren't working when they are. I have had periods of several weeks or longer when my scale weight stayed the same, but I lost inches. I wasn't stalled, my body was losing in other ways, allowing me to fit into smaller clothes.

If you do decide to weigh often, understanding how your body works will be important. For instance, I often lose to a new low, and then bounce back up a couple of pounds in water weight, then lose that, plus a little more, bounce up again, and repeat. While my scale weight bounces while getting there, the important point is that the ultimate trajectory is down. Obviously, when the scale goes up a few pounds overnight, it's impossible that it's fat. It's water weight. It's not the end of the world, but if someone took it at face value, without looking at the downward trend, it could be frustrating.

This thread might help too. Article: Why the Scale Lies
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I too weigh myself daily.
I use the same scale, first thing in the morning.
It keeps me on track.
Good luck to you>
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
I weigh once a month. It helps me stay accountable, but not obsessed with my weight. I prefer to watch my clothing on a daily basis. According to my clothing I am certainly shrinking!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't weigh myself much anymore, because I have a sense of how to eat in order to lose weight now. I am more focused now on how I look not what the scale says. I also found that the scale was all over the place with respect to a lot of things other than measuring bodyfat. It helps me more to try on clothes that used to fit me and just look in the mirror. The only issue with the mirror for me is that it is difficult to notice a daily change. I am thinking of keeping a logbook to help so that I can look back at qualitative changes that are happening. A couple of things that are also useful are taking photos of yourself. I tend to plateau if I use the scale and I tend up getting frustrated. The other strategies tend to help me stay positively motivated, where as the scale sometimes makes me feel negative towards my progress, more often than it does positive.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Every other day.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
Start Date: January 8 2013
I weigh every day. It helps keep me motivated.
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
When I first started, I weighed myself daily just to look at fluctuation changes and, depending on the results, to think about how certain things I ate the previous day impacted my weight. For example, I found that having Crystal Light generally caused me to fluctuate upward of four pounds the day following consumption.

Now, I just step on the scale once a week or so as an accountability measure and often times an encouragement tactic. Either way, I still only do an official weigh-in (i.e. the weight I record) once a month and that is what I do my actual tracking from.

I also agree with those who have mentioned that if for some reason daily weighing gets you down or discourages you from sticking to plan or even if the number on the scale just makes you feel like crap for a whole day, then it's not worth it to weigh daily. As already mentioned, you really want to focus on the overall trend. I'm not the fastest loser, but the overall trend has remained downward, and that's exactly what keeps me motivated! After all, the overall trend is the most important right?
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I weigh every day. First thing in the morning before I shower. I use my scale as a tool just like I use a food journal where I log everything I eat and a kitchen scale where I weigh and measure all my foods. I log my weight into my journal so that I can see trends overtime. I don't think too much about small fluctuations day to day or think just because I have been especially good or bad one day that it will show up the next day on the scale as a loss or gain, but it will show a trend over time. I have found the daily fluctuations can be for no seemingly no reason at all, they are just the way I lose weight. I do like to see a graph of my weight loss for a several month period and look at all the spikes up and down, but mostly I focus on the downward trend as that is all that really matters to me over time.

I am trying to create new healthy habits and tracking my weight will be key in my long term weight maintenance. If I do gain weight I will be able to look back over that period of time and look all the information I have to correct my eating and get back to my target weight.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I weigh every day, and log it. I have to look at that number, and think about what it means - what did I eat, what did I choose for exercise, how much water did I have or not have, etc. I had a long stall (nearly four months) and it got tiresome to see the micro movements up and down, but it was important for me to keep weighing so that I stayed on plan. (It also helped that my body shape was clearly changing at the same time, and now I'm back to losing - five pounds in the past two weeks.)
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momof1
Stats: 212/188/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 01/01/2014
I weigh myself everyday.....first thing in the morning....naked....but that is me....don't focus on the everyday ups or downs.....just like everyone says...its the trend
momof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
I also weight daily because I feel it keeps me accountable. Every morning, naked, after I potty!

However, the daily fluctuations can be frustrating so if that would be bothersome for you, you might reconsider.
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
Guarantee you it would be the workout. Your body would have sent extra water to those muscles and held it. Just be aware it will subside as you continue to lose and workout.
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
Hayek - I have started drinking a glass of crystal light lemonade to put my ACV and baking soda in and have noticed a two day stall since starting. Was the weight gain temporary or as long as you continued to drink it?
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenna85
Stats: 196/174/150
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: 18Mar2013
I do an "official" weigh-in once a week. But I secretly weigh every day.
Kenna85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I weigh myself daily and I log it along with any new food I added, did I drink anything besides water/ exercise/ digestion issues / menstrual timing and symptoms, etc. I feel like I am my own experiment. It's very very interesting, to see the effects my choices make on my progress.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nera View Post
Hayek - I have started drinking a glass of crystal light lemonade to put my ACV and baking soda in and have noticed a two day stall since starting. Was the weight gain temporary or as long as you continued to drink it?
It would be temporary and almost always completely gone by the next day (after a day of no Crystal Light and just a lot of plain water. I'd say take a day off from it and drink a good amount of plain water (or with a squirt of lemon) then see if the scale changes.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I weigh daily ... Once I see the same number three days in a row, I call that as my weight
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenna85 View Post
I do an "official" weigh-in once a week. But I secretly weigh every day.
^^^ I can relate to this!

I don't secretly weigh every day, but I do sneak a peek between official weigh ins. The reason Sunday morning is the 'official weigh in' is to prevent me from obsessing over fluctuations. My psyche is too fragile to handle fluctuations in a mature and stable manner. If I see the number go up (even though I am an educated woman who logically understand that weight fluctuates), I will start to dissect my WOE, start to have negative emotions and unfounded doubts about my progress, and trigger thoughts of restriction and excessive exercise.

I know this about myself and ‘to thine own self be true.’ For that reason, I do not weight daily.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Another daily weigher here!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Every morning. Same time, same place.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Every single day. Keeps me honest, even after years of maintaining.
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
I weigh myself everyday. If I jump around between 2 pounds I don't worry. More than 2 pounds, I write it down in my weight log. The 5 pound gain this month wasn't hard to figure out....A very bad, long birthday weekend. I broke all the rules and now I have to get back on track. Just isn't fair that it only takes a few days to put on the pounds but it takes me a month to get them off!
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote