Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AKDogg
Low Carb w/cheat day once a week?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the low carb plan (20 carbs a day and under) with a cheat day once a week? Say on Sunday you eat what ever you want and then get back on the low carb week on Monday?
Has anyone tried this and had any experience and results doing this?
AKDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, I think people do it.

it defeats the main purpose of low carb though. and the biggest problem is that if you eat the high fats that go with a good low carb diet, and then have a lot of carbs, you are doing very bad stuff to your body.

you can eat the fats safely without the carbs, but not with them. your lipids and heart health will be a problem, I think.

obviously if you are male this is worse, and older this is worse. for a 15 year old girl, might not be a problem...
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have not intentionally done that, but it usually takes me about five days to get back to my pre-cheat weight after I cheat, so I'd only have one day a week to lose.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I would not plan to do that. The whole point of a ketogenic diet would be defeated, because you would have to take a few days to get back into ketosis each week.

If you don't think you can stick to it for more than six days per week while you're losing, I would look to a different diet, honestly.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
I'm a long time follower of the LC WOE (just getting back on track). My advice is to limit cheats to once a month at the most. I believe in going off plan once in awhile but every week seems too frequent in my opinion.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Think more like once every 6 weeks, but only after the first 3 months.

You can always try it and see what kind of results you're getting - but don't call it a stall if you're "cheating" once a week.

My advice to you - weigh daily, chart your weekly result, and observe what works for you and what doesn't.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
I use 'just the idea of it' to make myself feel better when I'm struggling LOL I did it yesterday, meaning I told myself that I would arrange a cheat day or start planning one tomorrow....and stuck to plan yesterday. I'll tell myself the very same thing again today if I hit a rough patch...tomorrow never comes I do best by thinking about this one day at a time, and also asking myself if I want to feel as bad as I do when I eat freely....
I've heard of others who do okay with a cheat day once a week or once every two weeks. Something about shaking up their system or metabolism. I do know that in the past when I had a slip up, the next day I had a whoosh. I don't understand the science behind it so I can't vouch for that part of the plan.
I'm afraid that if I have a cheat day it will turn into 7... or more....I've been so off and on with LC that I worry about that.
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
The only way I cheat is to make a low carb cheesecake or something like that on the weekends. Cheating with carby foods is so not worth it
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
Start Date: April 1, 2013
If you mainr goal is simply weight loss, than 1 cheat MEAL would be ok and shouldn't affect your weight loss. But I do discourage this as I did a cheat meal this past Sunday and am paying dearly for it. I have cravings again and my appetite has increased. I'm really regretting it and am going to try hard not to cave again.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I don't have "cheat" days. But what I do have are one or two meals a week where I plan to eat a higher carb portion of food I do not normally eat. ONE PORTION only. And I make this portion work into my carb allowance/plan by eating very low carb the rest of the day. This is one way I am able to eat most foods I might want once in a while but I don't go overboard with the portion so I do not get the bad cravings the next day. It is part of my weekly plan but If you are not able to control your eating it can be a very slippery slope.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
My mom low carbs mon-fri then takes weekends off. She still loses weight and actually now just maintains her weight. She is not a very big person and only needed about 25 lbs off her in the first place. She also doesn't go all crazy on the weekends, she just eats normal and adds some carbs she doesn't normally eat.
If you are a person who has a lot to lose, I would not have a cheat day. I would really try to keep it low carb till you get to your goal weight.
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
I can only speak for me...everytime I have a a cheat meal just one meal, it takes me two to three days to get the water weight off. Its so aggravating I don't do it often.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starzmom
Once my appetite is cut way back by eating low carb, one cheat day brings it right back and may lead to one or two years of cheat days.
Some people get away with cheat days. For me it can totally derail my weight loss.
Starzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It can take up to 6 wks of total compliance of a low carb woe in order to achieve keto-adaption. If one is upping the carbs once a week, this can mean that they are subjecting themselves to cravings, induction flu symptoms and all that come with that and never getting into a keto adapted state. I don't personally, see the advantage in the 'cheat day'.

It sounds similar to a smoker saying, can I quit but still smoke on one day of the week. It keeps the addiction going. It may be better than before but .....

Last edited by clackley; 05-22-2013 at 05:47 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momof1
Stats: 212/188/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 01/01/2014
Once a week...not for me...it would take me the whole week to loose the water.....I do have planned cheat days.....Christmas....birthday dinner.......anniversary.....that's it.
momof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, AK: have you looked into the Carbohydrate Addicts books/plan? I believe that plan allows carb "cheat meals" routinely. For many of us doing LC more along the lines of Atkins, I kinda feel that during the weight LOSS phase, it's important to do all we can to limit carbs every day in order to get our body used to burning fat and ketones inst of sugars, to help us get over our cravings and to reduce our appetites, as well as to keep weight loss steady. My feeling is that if a person is truly looking at LC as a way of eating FOR LIFE, it is unrealistic to think we will NEVER allow ourselves a carby food, meal, day, whatever as we move forward in maintenance. Like others have said, everyone is different, and you might find a weekly off-plan day works for you. You can always try and if you don't see the results you want, get rid of those cheat days, for now, anyway. But if you do add the weekly cheat day, please don't get frustrated and think LC doesn't work. It does for many, many people, if you give it an honest chance. Good luck in whatever you decide!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote