LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/171/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
SO discouraged!!!

First a little background. I gave up drinking 20 days ago. Up until that point I was drinking up to 4 bottles of wine daily, sometimes more. This equals over 3000 calories in wine alone. Add to that the fact that when I drank, I ate a lot of junk along with it. On May 4th, I started back on low carb. No alcohol ever again for me. I have done strict induction, less than 20 carbs a day, high fat, moderate protein, but not overdoing it with the portions. I have not cheated even once. I drink plenty of water, take ACV regularly, and go to the gym 3-4 times a week for low impact exercise on the treadmill for about 1/2 hour, then about 5 miles on the recumbent bike at a very low resistance. I have been in pretty deep ketosis for the past 13 days. Imagine how discouraged I am to find out that after all of that, I haven't even lost 1/2 pound. My clothes still feel as tight on me as they ever have. I have always had luck with this WOE in the past and I was so excited to get back to it. I almost got discouraged enough last night to eat something I shouldn't, but I resisted. I'm giving it another week at least, but I'm REALLY upset!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sorry you are frustrated, but don't give up. Your health is more important than your weight and it sounds like you have been making helathy choices. What scale did you weigh on to start and what scale did you weigh on to determine that you haven't lost anything? How tall are you? Can you post a sample daily menu?

ETA: Are you new to exercising or have you done that all along? If it is new you might want to cut it out for now if weight loss is very important to you and work on one thing at a time. Then add the exercise back when you know the weight loss is happening.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 05-20-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Hold tight, your body is probably a bit in shock form the recent changes and needs time to catch up. If you are in ketosis then you will eventually see a change in the scale. You might be having the famous 3 week stall early. I wouldn't change anything right now if you feel good about what you are eating and how you are feeling.

Every person is different. I personally do not lose well on strict Atkins. I need fewer calories and slightly higher carbs to lose.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
First, good for you on quitting the alcohol. Four bottles of wine a day (even ONE bottle a day) is a sign of dependency. I commend you for acknowledging that and taking the steps to change. That can't be easy. I strongly encourage you to see a doctor and be completely honest about your drinking. You need to have some basic blood work done (CBC w/Diff, CMP).

I understand why you're frustrated about the weight loss. I do not follow Atkins at the moment, as it's unrealistic given my circumstances. I also found that increasing my green vegetables and eating roughly 30g net carbs per day is where I need to be to lose. It's also important to remember that losing isn't as easy as you age. I'm only 30 but I notice a big difference in the pace at which I lose now compared to back when I first started this WOE in my early 20's.

Play around with your diet. See if adding more veggies helps some. Try cutting back on or eliminating cheese. For some reason exercise seems to be counter productive in the early stages of Atkins. Maybe take a week off to see if that helps. Whatever you do- don't give up!
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Kudos to you for sticking to all your goals. This is a supposition in my part but as the liver is where fat gets metabolised it might still be in recuperation and therefore not working at optimum levels. Something like that . If you google it quiete afew people are wondering why they do not lose weight fast after quitting, but no good responses are avaiable. Hang in there ,it might be slow, but in the end it happens.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 155 - CW: 148 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: September 29, 2014
I had that same problem but now the weight is coming off slowly but surely and I've lost inches.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I'm sorry for your frustration. As a fellow drinker, I understand how mind-boggling it is to stop taking in all those calories and not see the weight just falling off of us. I mean, so many preach about "calories in, calories out." If that were the case (for everyone on the planet), then we wouldn't have to do much else other than stop drinking.

Add to that a LC WOE and it's a complete mystery why the pounds aren't melting away. I want to give you a pat on the back and a big hug for kicking the wine habit for as long as you have. When it is that big a part of your daily existence, it's hard to find something else to take its place. I know, cause right now I'm trying to abstain from beer. Three days and counting.

Maybe the exercise is part of the problem. I agree with Misti and think you should drop the exercise for now and see what happens. And I also would like to see a day's menu. Small things mess you up in a big way on LC. It sucks but it's true.

May you have better results soon.

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Big congrats on quitting drinking. You likely need to give your liver some time to recoup. Try taking milk thistle.

Great point on the calories in/calories out nonsense!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Your body is probably in shock after such a big change and is working to repair the damage from the alcohol. And, I don't think alcohol calories get metabolized the same- I can drink a lot and not see a change in weight. You are probably also retaining a lot of water.

What's a typical menu for you?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I understand your discouragement. But as someone from afar, all I can say is way to go girl!!!!!!!!!! You've made a major life changing decision for the better by dumping the booze, and I know you know that's a one day at a time thing.

Same w/LC. One day at a time. It WILL work. One of these fine mornings you'll step on the scale and whoosh! My weight loss has been slow and sometimes it bounces up and down over the same 2 pounds for a couple of weeks, and then one morning, it just drops.

You indicated you've done LC before and I've heard from many here that it is not at all uncommon to lose slower on your second or third time around.

Stick w/it. Come here for support, read new and old success threads, Read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes---I found this SO INSPIRING. God bless and God speed, you can do this! And you will feel so much better when you do.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenaz View Post
First, good for you on quitting the alcohol. Four bottles of wine a day (even ONE bottle a day) is a sign of dependency. I commend you for acknowledging that and taking the steps to change. That can't be easy. I strongly encourage you to see a doctor and be completely honest about your drinking. You need to have some basic blood work done (CBC w/Diff, CMP).

I understand why you're frustrated about the weight loss. I do not follow Atkins at the moment, as it's unrealistic given my circumstances. I also found that increasing my green vegetables and eating roughly 30g net carbs per day is where I need to be to lose. It's also important to remember that losing isn't as easy as you age. I'm only 30 but I notice a big difference in the pace at which I lose now compared to back when I first started this WOE in my early 20's.

Play around with your diet. See if adding more veggies helps some. Try cutting back on or eliminating cheese. For some reason exercise seems to be counter productive in the early stages of Atkins. Maybe take a week off to see if that helps. Whatever you do- don't give up!
I went through a voluntary inpatient medically supervised detox on May 1-3. They weaned me off with valium, antinausea drugs, and kept an eye on my blood pressure, which was through the roof when I went in there, 174 over 116. The blood pressure goes up when you detox, and you have risks for strokes and seizures, which is why they didn't want me to stop cold turkey without medical supervision. We also had counseling sessions all day, and I realized how lucky I am to have a supportive partner, good job, and a home to go back to. A lot of the other people in there had hit rock bottom, going back to jail or a homeless shelter. I had all the standard blood tests, which amazingly didn't show much damage to my liver after me abusing it for over over 35 years. My vitamin B1 was really low, also, so they gave me a shot of that while I was there. Anyway, I'm done drinking for good. Thanks for all the support and hoping if I stick with it, the weight will come off.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
So happy for you. Sounds like your head is in the right place. Keep on trucking and it will pay off eventually. Please do post and let us know how it's going for you.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Good for you for taking steps to increase your health and live a better life!

I myself made a thread last week about how I have not lost anything in over 10 weeks. Around 3 or 4 days after making that thread I went from my 249lb weight to 241! It does happen just not always as we expect. Hang in there and it WILL happen for you. You may need to make some tweaks or changes to your WOE after a time but with time, perseverance and a desire to succeed things will change for the better!
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Congrats on cracking your stall . . . big time!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lose4life
Stats: 310/281/150
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Proud of you
lose4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I went through a voluntary inpatient medically supervised detox on May 1-3. They weaned me off with valium, antinausea drugs, and kept an eye on my blood pressure, which was through the roof when I went in there, 174 over 116. The blood pressure goes up when you detox, and you have risks for strokes and seizures, which is why they didn't want me to stop cold turkey without medical supervision. We also had counseling sessions all day, and I realized how lucky I am to have a supportive partner, good job, and a home to go back to. A lot of the other people in there had hit rock bottom, going back to jail or a homeless shelter. I had all the standard blood tests, which amazingly didn't show much damage to my liver after me abusing it for over over 35 years. My vitamin B1 was really low, also, so they gave me a shot of that while I was there. Anyway, I'm done drinking for good. Thanks for all the support and hoping if I stick with it, the weight will come off.
I'm so glad you did a medical detox. I was concerned when I read your original post. I'm glad your test results were good for the most part; I was worried your liver may be in trouble. Congrats to you on making such a massive change in your life! It isn't easy, as I'm sure you're well aware. You need to give yourself a ton of credit for kicking the wine.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/124/115 5'3''
what you have done is amazing. dont be so hard on yourself... its gonna take a little time to adjust and whatnot.
are you on any meds? those are what gives me a hard time. im guessing that given time the diet can work even with meds... i have a hard time not giving up right away tho...
take it easy on the worrying and just get used to a healthy life and it will happen. focus on learning to cook or any other healthy aspect, but take some pressure off
i know its disappointing but its something most of us have to tweak and figure out, we are all different.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Scintillady,
First of all, good on you for taking control and detoxing! I too was relieved read that you did it with medical supervision...my dad was drinking about the same amount as you years back and just quit cold turkey...and ended up in the ICU! Now granted he had a lot of other health issues, but boy if I could go back in time and have him do what you did!
I imagine your body has been through a lot, and needs to adjust. I also know for me, that for the several times I've lost weight, (and gained it back!) I get to a certain weight where my body just wants to hold on. I'm sure its got a psychological component somewhere for me, too. What I mean to say is that you might take this time to be gentle and compassionate with yourself. You've been courageous and brave and have done yourself a huge favor with quitting drinking and going LC. Don't let your expectations upset you to the point where you go back to old addictions or create new ones. Your body may take longer to adjust than others, but I'd be willing to bet that in time you will see losses if you stick to your guns!
I'll be pulling for you!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland View Post
Scintillady,
First of all, good on you for taking control and detoxing! I too was relieved read that you did it with medical supervision...my dad was drinking about the same amount as you years back and just quit cold turkey...and ended up in the ICU! Now granted he had a lot of other health issues, but boy if I could go back in time and have him do what you did!
I imagine your body has been through a lot, and needs to adjust. I also know for me, that for the several times I've lost weight, (and gained it back!) I get to a certain weight where my body just wants to hold on. I'm sure its got a psychological component somewhere for me, too. What I mean to say is that you might take this time to be gentle and compassionate with yourself. You've been courageous and brave and have done yourself a huge favor with quitting drinking and going LC. Don't let your expectations upset you to the point where you go back to old addictions or create new ones. Your body may take longer to adjust than others, but I'd be willing to bet that in time you will see losses if you stick to your guns!
I'll be pulling for you!
Yes, my 56 year old body has been through a lot, that's for sure. I am positive I am not going back to alcohol, don't even have a slight urge to get back to it. I could have quit cold turkey a long time ago, I have the willpower. I just knew that I needed to do it safely and finally got the support I needed from my counselor to go do it. Believe it or not, while I was waiting to go to detox my counselor warned me NOT to stop drinking until I got there. thanks so much to everyone for the support. It means a lot to me and it does help.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote