Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Boy or girl? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804457-boy-girl.html)

A&F 05-19-2013 04:40 PM

Boy or girl?

Friday night my boyfriend and I were picking up stuff from the dry cleaners and the very very sweet woman behind the counter asked if I was having a boy or a girl. It took a minute for it to register what she was asking, and when it did I couldn't help but laugh. My response, Jamaican food baby.

In her defense, I was wearing a dress that looks fantastic head on, but when viewed from any other angle kinda clings weird and makes me look a little preggers so I completely understand. The bf was worried that he was going to have to spend the next day or two reassuring me that I didn't look fat, but when we got to the car I just died laughing about the whole thing. I'm sure Miss Maddie just feels terrible, but the situation was the source of many a joke for the rest of the weekend.

Just wanted to share. I thought it was hilarious that in the same weekend I was assumed to be preggers and told by a former coworker that I just keep getting skinnier every time she sees me.

nolcjunk 05-19-2013 04:58 PM

It's good that you have such a good sense of humor about it. And, I know all about those dresses. In high school when I was about 100 pounds I had this super comfy baby doll type dress, except it made me look about 9 months pregnant from the side and the front and caused quite a scandal.

princessmommy 05-19-2013 06:37 PM

I'm So glad you took it so well! I think i'd have cried.

Yennie 05-19-2013 09:21 PM

Ah, I love that you have a sense of humor about it!
My mom, who can be one of the most tactless people on the planet, told me this story once about her 5 (10?) year high school reunion. She walked up to a classmate, patted her on the stomach (!), and said, "Congratulations! When are you due?" The woman was like - Um, I'm not pregnant. Mom said she thought she was going to die of embarrassment.
I remember hearing that story when I was young, kinda one of Momma's Life Lessons: NEVER EVER EVER EVER ask someone if they're pregnant or any related type question unless they have specifically told you they are, indeed, pregnant!
Life lesson, and while I can certainly be socially awkward, that's one I've never done.
Good for you for being a great sport. I bet she'll never do that again.
Oh, and totally jealous of the Jamaican food baby - I LOVE Jamaican food!

Geekin' in Utah 05-19-2013 10:21 PM

Ahh, is it a baby or a "wheat belly". I know I will never ask the dreaded "when are you due" type of questions!

baileygirl3 05-20-2013 03:03 AM

I guess you handled that better than I would. I would have spent the next week crying...lol!!!

pocahontas 05-20-2013 12:26 PM

I would have cried too. Ive been asked that once before and I will never forget it.

My BFF is tall and thin and we were once at a friends baby shower and one of the Aunt's came up to her and asked her when she was due. Boy, I never saw that dress she was wearing again! :laugh::laugh:

It can happen to anyone but I definitely dont own any "baby doll" style tops or dresses. ;)