LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Arctic Zero "ice cream" is a lifesaver

I just discovered Arctic Zero faux ice cream. I am so happy, because it's saving me from eating Breyer's Carb Smart bars, which I can't control and will eat the entire box if I have them in the house.

I'm actually glad that Arctic Zero doesn't really taste that great, because I'm not tempted to eat the entire pint at once (although at 150 cals per pint, it wouldn't be a travesty if I did). It gives me the feeling of eating ice cream, enough to make me happy and keep me away from the higher-calorie LC ice creams.

I also like that it's not loaded with chemicals or sugar alcohols.

So far, I think the Vanilla Maple is the best. I've tried Chocolate Peanut Butter (pretty much tasteless) and Cookies & Cream (hideous aftertaste), too.

Did anybody else eat ice milk growing up? That's what this reminds me of. It's like frozen, flavored skim milk to me.

Very glad to have this option! Never thought I'd be so grateful for gross, fake ice cream.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Where do you get it and what is it made of? Also does it take you out of ketosis assuming your in ketosis

Last edited by VivaaLaCarlos; 05-18-2013 at 10:56 PM..
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I tried it (don't remember which flavor) and thought it tasted gross. Basically like a frozen protein shake (and I like protein shakes!) Not worth it to me, especially because I think it has a few grams of sugar per serving. Breyer's carb smart ice cream, on the other hand, I loved. But I also threw it out because I gained eating it and didn't want to be tempted any more. I now have some Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom bars which are good, but not too tempting for me. I am tring to find the So Delicious no sugar added coconut milk ice cream to try. I've also made my own sugar free ice cream before with my ice cream maker and might try making LC ice cream this summer
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Arctic Zero spiked my blood sugar as bad as a dozen donuts would have. I felt like death, and was so bummed because my neighborhood grocery carries a variety of flavors. But I couldn't enjoy it. Sad face.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Doesn't throw me out of ketosis. I pour some heavy cream and a little squirt of Hersheys sf syrup over it since it has no fat. Coffee flavor is my favorite.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Just keep in mind that this ice cream has been shown to have more calories and carbs than the label states- more like 250 calories.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
I make my own ice cream using HWC and lots of eggs/egg yolks. Very little sweetener. Its truly decadent, especially with some walnuts sauteed in butter poured over the top. And a very little amount goes a VERY long way towards satisfying the "dessert need."
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

It doesn't spike my BG at all, but we are all so different with that. Diabetes is weird.

I found several threads here from a while back about the calorie count, and I believe that the company did end up proving their claim of 150 calories per pint. Apparently the lab that was claiming otherwise was falsifying their data or something. I'll see if I can dig up the threads...

I agree that it tastes gross, which is why I like it. Ice cream is a huge trigger for me, but I can eat this without being triggered, and it makes me feel like I'm having ice cream.

Here's the ingredients for the Vanilla Maple:

Vanilla Maple
INGREDIENTS: PURIFIED WATER, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR, CHICORY ROOT, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, MONK FRUIT CONCENTRATE.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mariposa13
Oh, I HATED it!

I had the mint chocolate kind (I love mint chocolate chip ice cream), and it was not good. It left a bad aftertaste in my mouth and was really gritty like it had some kind of protein powder or a thickening agent gone awry.

I literally threw it in the trash. I don't think I've ever done that with ice cream before!

I have an ice cream maker though, I'd be interested in recipes if anyone has good ones...
mariposa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I am tring to find the So Delicious no sugar added coconut milk ice cream to try. I've also made my own sugar free ice cream before with my ice cream maker and might try making LC ice cream this summer
Hey Misti, go to the So Delicious site and click on the store locator. When I did this I found there's several places near me that carry it. Going to pick up some this afternoon. I love coconut, and I'm not such a big ice cream hound that I worry about eating too much. A bit of this would be so good drizzled w/a Torani's syrup, I think. We'll see. I'll report back.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annabird
The So Delicious is truly delicious!
annabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
how weird am i
i prefer the artic to the so delicious
i like (or hate the least) vanilla and chocolate mint.
did not like chocolate peanut butter at all.

However I do find it way too $$$$

am thinking of picking up an ice cream maker if costco runs a coupon deal this year on one.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hey Misti, go to the So Delicious site and click on the store locator. When I did this I found there's several places near me that carry it. Going to pick up some this afternoon. I love coconut, and I'm not such a big ice cream hound that I worry about eating too much. A bit of this would be so good drizzled w/a Torani's syrup, I think. We'll see. I'll report back.
I found a couple stores that carried it but neither had the sugar free versions. I did look at the Artic Zero again today, but didn't want to risk over $5 to try another flavor (and I still can't remember for sure but I think I tried chocolate peanut butter before).
Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
I found a couple stores that carried it but neither had the sugar free versions. I did look at the Artic Zero again today, but didn't want to risk over $5 to try another flavor (and I still can't remember for sure but I think I tried chocolate peanut butter before).
Don't know if you have a Whole Foods nearby, but that's where I got "no sugar added" cocunut vanilla bean. It's very good.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Don't know if you have a Whole Foods nearby, but that's where I got "no sugar added" cocunut vanilla bean. It's very good.
No Whole Foods but I haven't checked my local co-op yet. But I don't think they carry anything with artifical sweeteners, so I don't have high hopes.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
I've got to agree with the OP. I'm glad I found it. It is just "ice creamy" enough to satisfy the craving, but not "ice creamy" enough to make me eat more than a spoonful or two. This pint may last forever!
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JQuintero
Stats: 268/206/?
WOE: LFL
Start Date: Every morning
We picked up a container of the Cookies N Cream from Fresh & Easy. I thought it was disgusting. I checked out their facebook page and I think I had a container that may have thawed and refrozen from some posts I saw there.

I'm thinking of pulling out our Yonanas (bought but never used) and freezing some fruit and using that to make soft serve. I can have fruit on my WOE.
JQuintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
What r the ingredients in so delicious?? Is it truly sugar free??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I've been using a product I purchased from Netrition. Dixie Diner ice cream mix....you just put it with egg and your HWC, and then I purchased a little ice cream maker from Aldi (19 bucks, lol) and it makes GREAT ice cream! I make a half a packet and cut recipe in half and it's enough for four servings for me. Hasn't bothered my weightloss or ketosis
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie View Post
I've been using a product I purchased from Netrition. Dixie Diner ice cream mix....you just put it with egg and your HWC, and then I purchased a little ice cream maker from Aldi (19 bucks, lol) and it makes GREAT ice cream! I make a half a packet and cut recipe in half and it's enough for four servings for me. Hasn't bothered my weightloss or ketosis
Looks interesting. What flavor(s) have you tried? Some of the ingredients are unusual. I wonder what "low glycemic monosaccharide" is? It's some type of sugar, it would be good to know what one exactly.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
took the plunge yesterdy spent the $5+ on sugar free so delicious mint and i did NOT like it.

I actually prefer the protein taste of the artic product.

So moral for me is unles it's on big sale I think no more so delicious for me.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cchavez
The so delicious sugar free is 8 carbs (net) for .5 cup?
cchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntiem59
WOE: Let me count the ways..
Start Date: Every day at 8:00 a.m. sharp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
I make my own ice cream using HWC and lots of eggs/egg yolks. Very little sweetener. Its truly decadent, especially with some walnuts sauteed in butter poured over the top. And a very little amount goes a VERY long way towards satisfying the "dessert need."
Recipe, Please?
auntiem59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchavez View Post
The so delicious sugar free is 8 carbs (net) for .5 cup?
Depends if you count sugar alcohols (erythritol in the So Delicious) or not.

Arctic Zero Frozen Dessert
per 1/2 cup serving (74 g)
6 g carbs
2 g fiber
5 g sugar

(clearly some rounding going on as 2+5=7)

5 net carbs (sugar)

So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert (No sugar added)
per 1/2 cup serving (85 g)
18 g carb
10 g fiber
1 g sugar
5 g sugar alcohols (erythritol)

8 net carbs if you only subtract the fiber
3 net carbs if you subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols
only 1 carb from sugar

Last edited by Mistizoom; 05-22-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
What r the ingredients in so delicious?? Is it truly sugar free??
See this thread for more details on the So Delicious:
So Delicious Coconut Milk, Non-Dairy frozen Dessert
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I hate to rain on this parade, but google "arctic zero ice cream today show report"
they tested a bunch of low cal frozen deserts. Some, like Ben and Jerry's were close to or even lower in calories than the label stated but others......with Arctic Zero being the worst offender were much higher than the 150 calories on the label.
So again, beware of labels...just sayin'
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I hate to rain on this parade, but google "arctic zero ice cream today show report"
they tested a bunch of low cal frozen deserts. Some, like Ben and Jerry's were close to or even lower in calories than the label stated but others......with Arctic Zero being the worst offender were much higher than the 150 calories on the label.
So again, beware of labels...just sayin'
Arctic Zero has addressed this on their website and they have posted independent lab test results, most recently from November 2012.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, there was a thread about this a while back, and it turned out that Arctic Zero was correct in their claims, if I recall.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Quote:
Looks interesting. What flavor(s) have you tried? Some of the ingredients are unusual. I wonder what "low glycemic monosaccharide" is? It's some type of sugar, it would be good to know what one exactly.
It's a sugar alcohol. Dont' know which one, but I've been using the product for two years and haven't had any problems (of course I actually measure my portions and eat it once every two, three weeks, not a daily thing).

They have strawberry, chocolate and vanilla (and the vanilla...I have made butter pecan out of it, and Reese's out of it....and different fruity flavors from that..works well as a base).
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote