Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Coconut oil for the whole family? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804400-coconut-oil-whole-family.html)

Filly 05-18-2013 07:35 PM

Coconut oil for the whole family?

Since I am the only one who low carbs would it be dangerous to use coconut oil when cooking for my husband? Will it cause problems since he eats a high carb diet?

Putz 05-18-2013 07:36 PM

Coconut oil has many health benefits.

Geekin' in Utah 05-18-2013 09:42 PM

While a high-fat, high-carb diet is not a good idea, there is no evidence saturated fats actually cause problems, and there is evidence of significant health benefits. While I would add a bunch of fat to hubby's diet, I would happily sub coconut oil for vegetable oils any day of the week!

Mistizoom 05-19-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah (Post 16430630)
While a high-fat, high-carb diet is not a good idea, there is no evidence saturated fats actually cause problems, and there is evidence of significant health benefits. While I would add a bunch of fat to hubby's diet, I would happily sub coconut oil for vegetable oils any day of the week!

:goodpost:

Patience 05-19-2013 06:59 AM

I think CO not good for high heat cooking.
At least I think this is the case, happy to be corrected.

lterry913 05-19-2013 07:40 AM

Yep, what hey said above...replacing other oils with it is good. Adding copious amounts just to add it could cause issue with higher carb diets.

Mistizoom 05-19-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16430828)
I think CO not good for high heat cooking.
At least I think this is the case, happy to be corrected.

Unrefined (virgin) coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 F, so not good for high heat cooking, though fine for lower heat. Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 400-450 F (depending on what source you believe). So that would be a better choice for high heat.

dawnyama 05-20-2013 06:22 PM

I use coconut oil for my family's baking and cooking needs. And they are not low carb at all. I use the expeller pressed for them. They don't like to taste anything coconutty.

Patience 05-20-2013 07:53 PM

I've found that the refined has no coconut taste and the unrefined does.
Not sure this is always the case, but it is the case for the Spectrum brand.

Does expeller pressed = refined? I am not really sure of the meaning of either.

Strawberry 05-22-2013 08:06 PM

As said above.... I wouldn't start adding additional oils to everything for your family. But just substituting it in place of butter or other oil should be fine.

dawnyama 05-23-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16433230)
I've found that the refined has no coconut taste and the unrefined does.
Not sure this is always the case, but it is the case for the Spectrum brand.

Does expeller pressed = refined? I am not really sure of the meaning of either.

Yup. Expeller pressed is refined. Expeller pressed is the process by which Tropical Traditions extracts the flavor of coconut from the oil.

Mistizoom 05-23-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16436594)
Yup. Expeller pressed is refined. Expeller pressed is the process by which Tropical Traditions extracts the flavor of coconut from the oil.

Not necessarily. It's true for Tropical Traditions brand, but Jarrow Formulas extra virgin coconut oil, for example, is listed as both expeller-pressed and unrefined. If a person doesn't want the coconut flavor then "refined" is the key word to look for.