LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lose4life
Stats: 310/281/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Down and out

I gave up my low carb way of eating and now feel so down about it. I feel like an alcoholic with food. I keep stuffing my face with high carb foods that I can cry. I don't know what happened. I had such an urge the other day and gave in and now I can't stop, the cravings are so intense. I lost 30lbs and don't want to give that up. Has anyone else experienced this? I need to get back on plan but it's so hard. Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening
lose4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
You've done awesome losing 30 lbs! That is quite an achievement and you should be proud!

Off plan eating teaches us. Use it as a tool. We know LC works, we feel better eating LC and are healthier for it!

Time for a U-turn. Getting back to LC will enable you to be back in charge! You CAN do it!!!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Throw out everything in your home that is off plan. If you live with roommates or family, ask them to please keep their carb-y treats in a place where you can't find them.

What foods did you like to eat on low carb? I would focus on making it as enjoyable as possible while keeping carbs under 20 g. What other diet lets you lose weight by eating steak and bacon?
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Start over now, don't put if off.
You will feel so much better after few days.
There is a subforum focused on addictions
You might want to pay us a visit, whether you are dealing with an addiction, or just something addiction-like.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Come back to us lose4life this very minute. Make that commitment right now...not tomorrow. It doesn't matter what you have eaten already today. You lost 30 pounds in a very short period so you know this works. We need your positive attitude to help the rest of us. Go out and buy yourself something special like a nice rib eye steak, salad with a yummy dressing for dinner.

Last edited by rndiane; 05-18-2013 at 12:02 PM..
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sugar is an addictive drug. And starches turn to sugar in your body. So the cravings you are experiencing are real. You just have to power through it an not give in the cravings again. It might take a few days for the cravings to subside but they will. In the meantime eat as many on plan foods as you want, especially high fat foods. It's more important now to get off the carbs than be concerned with how much low carb foods you are eating. You've accomplished a lot in a short time, this doesn't mean you've blown it. It's just a bump in the road.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Well done on your loss up to now! Lots of people here in this thread have given great advice! Now, you just need to get focused again on what a difference life is when you are healthier and have less weight to lug around with you. These things are SO MUCH more important than the cravings. You CAN beat the cravings but you need to start immediately by not putting one more thing off plan into your mouth. Don't let those bad carbs win! <3
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Good job on losing 30 pounds! Just throw away all sweets and junk and start over right now. Carbs and junk trigger cravings so the more carbs you eat the more you will want, you just have to cut it out completely and go cold turkey. You can do it, you did it before. Try to figure out what triggered your first cravings to use this as a learning experience and remember eating carbs does not satisfy the craving, it only makes the craving bigger.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keh216
Stats: 254/183/170
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Jan 2009
I make a choice when I am having carb/junk cravings I choose to just pig out on low carb. If I want 8 oz of cheese I have it. If I want way more ranch than a normal person wants I have it and if I choose to dip a pound of bacon in said ranch, so be it. I gain, I feel like crap and all that stuff however, it was for one day. And the cycle never stands a chance to start back up. That is my way of treating myself if I really think I need it.
keh216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Congradulations of your weight loss.

Please don't give up.

I still experience this now and then.

Google~ low serotonin levels and food cravings~ to learn more.

I take at least a 15 minute walk outside every day in the sun.
I take 5-HTP when I start to crave.

I watch the scale faithfully, and get hard on myself when it starts climbing up 5#'s. I stop the nonsense, and take a look at how far I've come, and take back control of myself.

I went from a size 20 to a 12, and I'm determined not to go backwards

Last edited by Kateee; 05-19-2013 at 04:04 AM..
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes, just try to get back on plan. Maybe you should try switching to a diet that is high fat, LC and not restricted in calories, just carbs. It is a bit easier to stay on plan. High fat, with satiety is easier to allow the addiction elements to subside so that you can maintain the WOE more easily
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've had good luck with 5-HTP to cut cravings/anxiety. I never take it everyday and haven't had any for a couple of weeks (I just realized!), but has worked for me to help "take the edge off" . . . for me it was usually weekend afternoons when I was ditching booze. Chromium has helped in the past to cut food cravings, but I rarely take it now other than the wee bit in my multi.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I've had good luck with 5-HTP to cut cravings/anxiety. I never take it everyday and haven't had any for a couple of weeks (I just realized!), but has worked for me to help "take the edge off" . . . for me it was usually weekend afternoons when I was ditching booze. Chromium has helped in the past to cut food cravings, but I rarely take it now other than the wee bit in my multi.
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Hi Loseforlife,
I have a friend who was just like you. She lost about 40 lbs on a strict low carb diet, but after a few months went crazy eating and craving breads and other types of food. What she did and it worked for her is called carb cycling. I tried this for two weeks myself and it worked, but because of health problems I have with wheat I had to just go ahead and stick to low carb all the time. If I were you, maybe read up on carb cycling. There are a lot of you tube videos on it and websites as well. Sometimes it is just too much for a person to give up carbs for good. My friend has been carb cycling for about a year now and she has lost a total of 90 lbs. She loves the carb cycling lifestyle and feels it's something that keeps her from feeling deprived. Like I said try it, you never know it may work and you may like it.
Don't just give up, maybe try something new

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lose4life
Stats: 310/281/150
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Thank you for all the advice and support. I have to get back to low carb woe. That carb cycling sounds interesting. I will definitely look into it.
lose4life is offline   Reply With Quote