Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Crazy for Nuts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804367-crazy-nuts.html)

momov2boys 05-18-2013 09:45 AM

Crazy for Nuts

Especially unsalted...

So I'm thrilled that Costco now carries their Kirkland Signature Extra Fancy Unsalted Mixed Nuts! 2.5 LB plastic, screw-top container.

Cashews
Almonds
Pistachios
Pecans

:jumpjoy:

DressageLover 05-18-2013 07:00 PM

I'm "Crazy for nuts" too - which is precisely why I have to avoid them. :( They make me want to eat more of all foods, trigger terrible nut cravings, and they are just too darn high in calories.
I can walk away from any sugary, or other high carb food - no problem. I would gladly, however, drown myself in a sea of peanut butter, almond butter, or just about any nuts.
Bummer, huh?
You are lucky you can enjoy them.
Carry on...

Patience 05-19-2013 06:27 AM

Yeah, nuts are a big no no for me, too.

avid 05-19-2013 06:31 AM

Yep....nuts are great.
I too have to be wary of them. I've set a very aggresive 'final' goal for myself.
It will take a long time to get there, if ever, but I do need to lose another 3 pounds so my new clothes fit more comfortably. It's proving to be a real effort.
I usually eat a small handful of nuts everyday, but to get to the next level, I may have to forgoe this delicious and healthy treat.
sigh....

lanita 05-19-2013 07:02 AM

I love almonds, pecans and walnuts. My fave is almonds, raw. I count them out to the serving size ( or weigh them), and I have to force myself not go go back into the bag for a second serving. The fiber in the almonds helps me in the elimination department! I can't give them up, for that reason alone.

avid 05-19-2013 10:34 AM

I'm so weak...LOL
I went to the gym and had a decent workout. Came home and went straight to the kitchen.
My usual post workout snack is a handful of walnuts, mixed in with some sf sweetened sour cream and a handful of whatever berries are in the fridge. I skipped the sour cream but had the nuts and berries.
I'm really pushing to lose these last few pounds,
but I gotta something right???:dunno:

Patience 05-19-2013 10:36 AM

A man's gotta eat . . . sound good to me.

Cali girl 05-21-2013 04:39 AM

Love nuts, my favorite kind are the small cans of different flavor smoke house almonds. Sometimes I will just eat the whole can for my dinner. But just sometimes.

Patience 05-21-2013 05:01 AM

How many carbs in a can of smoked almonds? I am not being a smartass, really curious, as I've eaten a whole can on more than one occasion!

Punkin 05-21-2013 06:58 AM

I only eat nuts if I have to crack them open to get at them. Otherwise they might as well be a bag of chips. I can eat about 800cal worth in a blink of an eye!

abby! 05-21-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16433515)
How many carbs in a can of smoked almonds? I am not being a smartass, really curious, as I've eaten a whole can on more than one occasion!

5 grams per ounce (a serving is just an ounce), the emerald brand is 11oz per canister so 55 grams of carbs if you eat the whole can. For me, its the 170 calories per ounce that is the HUGE setback, an 11oz can is then 1870 calories. Even two ounces at 340 calories is too large addition to my daily needs. So, sadly, I avoid nuts.

Patience 05-21-2013 10:01 AM

That's also why they are off my list of accepted foods . . . for a long time!
(I did eat a scoop at a reception, not too long ago.) But I won't buy them.
Even Literate's wonderful recipe for almond butter fat bombs was too much temptation for me.

SweetSugaree 05-21-2013 03:03 PM

I love nuts. I eat almonds every single day. I buy the small 100 calorie packs and eat one pack a day. I do not stall eating them this way. It's all about moderation, and yes nuts are delicious. :)

Patience 05-21-2013 06:53 PM

I've tried the little packages but I just eat a lot of little packages.
What works for me is not to have them around. :sad:

LisaLisaLisa 05-22-2013 06:27 AM

I love them so much, especially the unsalted mixed nuts from Costco as was mentioned. I often have 1/2 cup for a meal (380 calories). If you count them as a meal instead of a snack, you can work them in. I don't usually eat my first meal until about noon, then can have the nuts as a "lunch" around 2-3 in the afternoon and that keeps me until dinner around 7pm. On days that I do 60 minutes of Spinning, I'll have an entire cup and that is heavenly and all works into my 1200 or so calories per day. Just my two cents. :)

nera 05-22-2013 06:30 AM

I would give anythin to be able to eat then and still lose but just does not work for me. My body thinks I'm eating a candy bar! Go figure. But koodos to those who can - lucky ducks!

batlou 05-22-2013 06:34 AM

I had a slight addiction to shelled peanuts a 2 years ago. While I was in maintenance and training heavily it still did not help that I could sit and eat 2K calories worth in one sitting. I stopped buying them because I have no self control. Damn you Costco!