Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
Filling up hole in my heart ...

Why is it that when I "fall off the wagon," there's not enough food in the world to fill me up ???

I will eat and eat and eat ... no matter how full I am, I keep eating more ! My stomach is FULL ... but, I keep adding more and more food ... because it feels as if something is missing ...

It's as though I'm trying to fill up a hole in my heart !!!
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Why is it that when I "fall off the wagon," there's not enough food in the world to fill me up ???

I will eat and eat and eat ... no matter how full I am, I keep eating more ! My stomach is FULL ... but, I keep adding more and more food ... because it feels as if something is missing ...

It's as though I'm trying to fill up a hole in my heart !!!
If you're like me, it's the sugar. It satisfies your sweet tooth for a short time, but it triggers an enormous hunger response, and the more you eat, the more you want. I always thought there was something wrong with me emotionally that caused the binging, but the urges dried up a week into my Atkins induction. As long as I stick to a low-carb diet, I don't get those urges anymore. However, when I went off plan at Christmas, the binge-monster came back with a vengeance - and there was no satisfying him until I had a few days of low-carb eating under my belt. It's a good motivator for sticking with the plan, for me.

That said, I know there are some people for whom eating is an emotional response. It may be two-fold: eating sugar temporarily soothes the emotional pain, but it also triggers the binging and its accompanying guilt. A group like Overeaters Anonymous might be helpful for you, if that's the case.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
ITA, MerryKate. I used to think my eating was related to my emotions, but now I realize that's just bc that's what I've always been told. Once I changed my chemistry, it became clear that my eating was not a psychological or emotional problem. I'm sure there are people for whom it is true, but I wouldn't jump to that assumption.

I do think carbs can make you feel like crap and very depressed bc of the lack of control some of us have over them and bc, obviously, life with carbs is not the lives we want to have. So, I can see why it feels like an emotional issue.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
It could very well be psychological.
Yes, certain foods will trigger over eating, but our mental state can never be ignored.
If there is something missing in your life, you could possibly be trying to 'fill the void' with food. It happens that way sometimes.
Loving ourselves, is a key to good health.
May you find it soon.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Food will never fill you up, if you're not actually hungry.
What else can you do to feel fulfilled, other than eat?

Take time for yourself--have a bath? Take a walk outside? Call a friend? Read posts here?
Hug someone? Take a nap? Window shop? Read? Listen to music? Dance?

HUGS to you!!!

Last edited by momov2boys; 05-16-2013 at 08:36 PM..
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Well, sugar literally doesn't fill you up. Your stomach doesn't recognize fructose (which is a major component of almost all high carb, processed foods), so it doesn't start sending grehlin signals to your brain. That same high carb, processed food moves slowly through the small intestine, so the peptide YY takes forever to get sent to your brain. As all the carbs flood into your blood stream, the insulin blocks the reception of leptin by the hypothalamus. Leptin is another of the tools that signal our brain to stop eating. It is produced when fat cells start storing fatty acids, but too much insulin acts like static for the signal.

So is it surprising we eat and eat and eat? No. I was actually marveling about that tonight when a small piece of steak and some broccoli filled me up when I could eat many pieces of pizza without feeling as satiated.

Emotional eating issues certainly exist, but when we feed ourselves poorly, it is nigh impossible to overcome them, because there is a lot of biochemistry backing them up. On the other hand, I believe that, many times, the emotional issues are caused by the eating which is itself caused by hormonal imbalances rather than the eating being caused by the emotions.

Regardless, I'll send a hug your way!
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
If you have lost weight, in particular, there can be an almost overwhelming drive to consume huge amounts of carbs and calories as your body fights to regain that weight.

I was hearing the other day on some radio show (sorry, forget the details, but NPR) about how there is a physical basis for that "keep stuffing it into your mouth even if you don't really LIKE it" thing, where we seem to gravitate to the most carbs, most calories, most sugar, even when it makes NO SENSE. *sigh*

know you are not alone and just do your best *hug*
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
If you have lost weight, in particular, there can be an almost overwhelming drive to consume huge amounts of carbs and calories as your body fights to regain that weight.
This totally happened to me when I lost from 182 down to 126 less than 2 years ago. After a few months (and thinking I was maintaining, nope) I started to gain back almost 5 lbs a months. I finally stopped at 165 (2 weeks ago) and said no more, don't do this to your self.

And it wasn't cause I was having emotional issues, filling a void, or anything. I just love to eat.

I will guess some people gain to fill that void, or other emotional issues, but not everyone.

Good luck.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I kinda don't have a care in the world I am worried about, all is great for me in my life mostly.

but I am the same way. I don't know WHY but I can eat and eat and eat also. when my belly is full to the rim, I can eat more and more.

I can do this at any time. Nothing HAS to trigger it for me.

Every meal I can eat more. even if stuffed. Every snack I want more. Every time I eat I can easily eat a ton more than I did

I love to eat also!!! I am in love with food. Simple as that. I love the taste, smell, chewing, the visual look of it. Big time foodie here. AND OF COURSE I am trying to break myself from that. So far so good. I am controlling it nowthan it controls me now. For me it truly is a matter of 'just stop NOW'. you had enough, just stop eating.

Plus certain foods pair well to me. If I eat X, then after I could easily eat Y. cause Y goes with X then so on and so on til I get my taste of everthing I am wanting.

BUT if you say you are trying to fill a hole in your heart, then something must be happening that you have not faced in your life maybe. Maybe it is time to face it? don't know your circumstances, but like Annette said, some people are true foodies.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I read somewhere that metabolism of carbs, glucose, sort of functions similar to the way an antidepressant does. I don't know if it is true. But it could be biochemical. I used to get a "high" from bingeing on carbs. I haven't had this since I went low carb.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
It has been proven that certain foods, i.e. sugar and carbs, can and does cause a release of certain feel good chemicals in the brain. Just having this knowledge has helped me to overcome my tendency to eat everything in the house on most days. I know that it will only be a temporary fix, and will not cause my problems to go away. Instead of eating, I try to exercise to get my feel good chemicals. It works!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I hear you.
I tried to fill the "hole in my heart" and ate myself up to 278.
Discovered that they is no filling it.
Now I eat very very low carb and the urge is controllable!
(((((HUGS))))))
You are not alone!
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

What wonderful, thoughtful answers ! Thank you ...

I'm going to take a close, introspective look inside myself.
On the outside, I seem to have it all ... a beautiful home, a paid-for luxury car, a husband of almost 40 years who tells me every day that he loves me, volunteer work that I do ... and so on ...

So ... I either need to do some "emotional housecleaning" .... or take another look at the types of food I am eating that may "trigger" the massive cravings that I have (and the sense that I am never "full").
I don't eat a lot of sugar (except to get a sweet taste to balance the salt/starchy foods that I crave) .... but I *do* use a lot of Sucralose in my tea ... drinks ... etc.
I wonder if the Sucralose is causing me to want to eat more than I should ... which then starts the "self-loathing" ... and triggers the binge eating that never seems to end.

Again, thanks to those of you who responded ... You've given me much to think about ...

daisymae
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I don't think it is the sucralose you need to be concerned with, but I would watch out for any amount of sugar and starch. Everyone is different. For me any amount of sugar will make a ravenous hole that is not to be satisfied. When I eat very low carb, I get full and have to stop eating.
The first time in my adult life that I experienced feeling real full and satified was when I started eating LC. I thought I must be sick.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It think you might want to be wary of sucralose.
There are lots of opinions about sweetners here, but my feeling is you are better giving them up. They can continue a desire for that sweet taste that many crave. Try giving it up. What's there to lose?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I would ditch the heavy quantity of sucralose and do an experiment on yourself.

if you take it away and things change, you could have an answer.

any other food you think might be doing it. take it away for a few days and see if things change.

best you can do is experiment on yourself. be your own guinea pig

every person is so different. no telling what me effecting you.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I understand what you're saying and it immediately made me think of a really unique approach for that emotional eating called Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT). I've been interested in it for some time and I think it's helped me maintain my weight for a long time. You can google EFT or Skinny Genes program to get info about it. Hope this helps.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for mentioning EFT and Skinny Genes.
I "googled" them and found out about Tapping. It seems very interesting. I'm planning to do some more research about the effectiveness of Tapping.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'm so glad to help, and I hope it offers you some tools to deal with your emotional eating. We all have our crazy days.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I would say its psychological, but my experience just doesn't bear that out. With sugar and wheat I eat, and eat, and eat, and feel terrible depression afterward. With lowcarb, I feel...fine. Level, comfortable, digestion is good, mind is clear, sleep is better.

Bear in mind that the first few days after stopping grains, you can go through a terrible withdrawal.

I experienced this after mother's day and felt like I'd fallen into a dark pit until three days later when my body and mind suddenly cleared.

I do believe its physiological, and the only cure is to stop eating that which ails you.

My girls and I (both my teens are lowcarbers) call it "carbohydrate poisoning."
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think our minds and bodies are really part of the same package, so it's kind of a chicken - egg thing to me. Like moonmirror, I know that I feel so much better emotionally after a few days of low sugar and no alcohol..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote