Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeamRedrac
I need Help/Advice

I have done Low Carb for years. I originally went from 210 to 112 on lowcarb and maintained that even after 2 pregnancies for years. I have now let my weight creep back up to 144. Which is heavy for my height and body type. I can not stay on plan. I will do well all day long totally on plan and then I eat crap at night, or I will do well for a week and then will eat off plan because I feel like I haven't seen any changes on the scale. I have always had to be on plan for at least 2 weeks before I started to lose weight. The other problem I am having is my family is not supportive and talk me into eating crap.

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.
TeamRedrac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Do you eat at night out of hunger or boredom? If hunger, consider eating a bit more during the day, perhaps extra fat. Might be helpful if you post a typical menu. It also sounds that the scale is not your friend if it leads you to go off plan. Perhaps you should start weighing yourself only once a month. Not sure what to suggest about nonsupportive family, but truth is only you can put the food in your mouth. I am not unsympathetic, though, as it is hard.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Sorry to hear that you find it difficult to get back on track. I also do not want to sound unsupportive especialy as we all go through phases where we let external factors make our decisions for us but in the end you will have to pick up the slack and make them. I wonder why your family is sabotaging your efforts. Do they feel that you are okay as you are and worry that you do not have a real picture of yourself ? If you are the one cooking you have the upper hand already.There are many dishes that you can make that are non lc familyfriendly. Maybe you could prepare snacks for the evening like olives and cheese or the ricotta cheese dessert. Try and make the least weird concoctions for a while so they see that you are eating like a "normal "person and they will lose interest. Good luck.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trinchick
Stats: 177/161/145
WOE: Mod carb (under 100g) whole foods - primalish?
Start Date: March 2013
I am also a night and weekend eater. I'm not eating out of boredom, but because I consider it a "reward" for making it through a crazy day as a working mother. Of course, it's not really a reward when all it does is make me unhappy with myself for sabotaging both my health and my appearance.

I've tried to overcome those feelings this go-round by rewarding myself during the day with good, healthy food. I often don't want to pay the high prices for out-of-season fresh fruits and veggies. $5 for a tiny thing of blueberries! $1.50 for an avocado I'll eat in one sitting! $4 for that baby arugula! $8 a pound for good cheese! This mindset was especially strong for foods that only I would enjoy - I seem to be able to justify the purchases when it's something the kids will like. But now, I've told myself that my reward for being kind to myself is to indulge in delicious, fresh foods all day long, and a box of cheez-its is no longer the reward. So far it's working.

I imagine that your family is also not deliberately sabotaging you. There is so much emotion and socialization tied to food. It's hard to unpack it all. My family shows love by trying to please each other with food. Straight A's on your report card - I'll bake you a cake! Special field trip today - I'll pack homemade cookies! Promotion at work - let's go to dinner to celebrate! These habits are deeply ingrained and really hard to break.

Best wishes to you. Once you get on a roll and see results, it's much easier to keep going. I second the suggestion to put away the scale for a while.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yes, it seems that if we are to reward ourselves with food it needs to be high quality, delicious and on plan. I think it is also good to have some non food rewards at the ready. A good book? A spa treatment? Something new and flattery to wear? How about a walk in the park? A conversation with a good friend?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trinchick
Stats: 177/161/145
WOE: Mod carb (under 100g) whole foods - primalish?
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Yes, it seems that if we are to reward ourselves with food it needs to be high quality, delicious and on plan. I think it is also good to have some non food rewards at the ready. A good book? A spa treatment? Something new and flattery to wear? How about a walk in the park? A conversation with a good friend?

Yes, exactly right. Time to change our way of thinking about food and see it as nourishment, as opposed to reward, comfort, boredom-killer, social tool, way to show love, etc.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
Yes, exactly right. Time to change our way of thinking about food and see it as nourishment, as opposed to reward, comfort, boredom-killer, social tool, way to show love, etc.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
I am eating very very low carbs durning the day and one meal I have a carb with it,, rice, mac , rolls etc,, whatever I chose, so that way I can have at least once a day something I love and dont want to live without. Its the Carbohydrates Addicts Diet,,I had to make myself have a low carb snack because I just wasnt hungry since lunch time.
Dede66 is offline   Reply With Quote