LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Temptation is killing me!

So, I'm staying with my Dad at the moment, looking after him and organising some care - been here almost a month now (I go home for a month next Tuesday!). Part of my 'mission' was to help him put on a bit of weight - he has prostate cancer - very slow progression - and is 85, and forgets, or can't be bothered to eat from time to time, so it's been important to give him food he enjoys. Fine most of the time, but yesterday he expressed a desire for a couple of white, crusty rolls. And ham. Dutifully, I got them delivered this morning with our usual supermarket order. They're sitting there, beckoning me. If there's one thing I love, it's a white crusty roll with butter and ham. Not had one in almost a year. Dad, meanwhile, is snacking on chocolate biscuits, and says he'll have the rolls for breakfast tomorrow. I am going slowly mad here.

Just posting because it's stopping me rushing to the kitchen and devouring Dad's rolls. I can't wait for bedtime, this is torture! I'm fine when such things are nowhere near me (and the choccie biscuits don't bother me at all) - but this is very, very difficult! Much as I hate to leave him, it'll be good to get home to my own kitchen, from which such temptation is banned! Think I'll grab a slice of ham and put some butter on it, see if that helps at all! Just sharing with you lot 'cos I know you'll understand!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Indeed, you are one strong woman!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 2.1.14 * 244#/234# 2.23.14
WOE: Carb Adicted: Atkins 72, measured portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Very difficult to stare down temptation. Best way is to find a LC food you like & eat that instead. Put the other stuff out of your sight. I have "my cupboard" & she has "hers". I try not to look there.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/180/165
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Oh boy, do I EVER understand! I can walk right past the potatoes, the rice, the pasta and the desserts. But put White crusty bread in front of me and I turn into a jelly fish, no back bone to be found.

You're doing such great things for your dad and you've stayed on plan for so long away from home. You need to give yourself a hug for that! You said no to the rolls, at least for now. And if worse comes to worse and you scarf down a roll or two, it won't be the end of your plan or your weight loss. You'll be home soon and back on plan w/less temptation.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Thanks for the understanding, guys! I just ate 3 cherry tomatoes and 3 slices of deli pork, and think I've conquered the temptation! I'm not really hungry had Shepherd's pie (made with celeriac at my end, and spuds at Dad's end) earlier, so I shouldn't need anything else. Now having a gin and (diet) tonic as a 'treat', to be followed by a bath and an early night. I feel like I've just run a mental marathon resisting the rolls though - gawd this can be tough at times!

I really hope tonight isn't the night I take up sleepwalking - if I wake up in the morning and the rolls are gone, I'll just blame my subconscious!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
My dad eats a ton of bananas...so they're always staring at me in the kitchen! Feel your pain!! Stay strong
squirrel watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I completely understand. Soft, chewy cookies do the same thing to me
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I really, REALLY understand!!!! I just spent a month at my parents helping them out after my dad was in the hospital and at a rehab place. There was a ton of bready temptation. I did pretty well, after one indiscretion that didn't even taste good! Stay strong!!!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
Bread is the worst. I bake my husbands bread for him because he loves it, but it's very difficult. He's told me that he wants to eat Squirelly Bread for a few months (he's lying, he just wants to make it easy for me), but I think I'm going to take him up on it. For the summer at least.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
So sorry about your dad's illness and what you are going thru. This site certainly helps me get thru my tough times easier. Sounds like you are doing great, hang in there. I always enjoy your post and can almost hear that beautiful irish accent as i read them.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
Crusty white roll with thick layer of butter and some good ham, Sheesh that sounds good enough to eat. I hope your dad polished them off for breakfast this morning.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I have parents around the same age and they are experiencing health problems that would be greatly helped by not eating bread and sweets but they struggle with that even though really it has become serious. What I take away from that is not that I want those same things but rather that that is the last thing I want because I can see what a poor quality of life awaits me if I do not clean up my act. It's just a different way of looking at the situation.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
My dad is almost the same age and he has lost his appetite. He won;t eat anything but one or two cans of Boost/ Ensure. It's maddening.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
every time you want one, just think they are your Dad's personal weight gain rolls.
Let him have every single one of them. he needs them. you can do without them

but yea it is hard to be right there with things you loved in the olden days! stay strong.

It is so nice you are there helping him!!!!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
fruit is my Achilles heel!

i am extremely cognizant of the portion sizes. If I bring into the house a ton of fruit, I WILL eat a ton of fruit. Try to focus on larger amounts of food that have fewer carbs, such as chicken parts, or hard boiled eggs with mayo.For the liquids, the same applies; such as iced teas, coffee, diet snapple, flavored seltzers etc., and good old plain water. Also, congratulate yourself on those things you get right, as opposed of berating yourself for your shortcomings. Sorry about your dad. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I love bread with a thick helping of butter...but in most cases not for sandwiches like you mention...The bread seems to hide the flavor of the food it's carrying...therefor if I do indulge in bread it's gotta be fresh with some sort of butter.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
i love bread!!! LOVE IT! but i finally realized that bread is really something to carry the butter.

i have taken to having a bit of good butter all by itself...
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
Plus a lot of the bread out there is totally not worth it to begin with. Think of the rolls as the dry sponges they really are...
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote