Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Judy211
WOE: Atkins
Are calories important in the beginning?

I was wondering if anyone counts calories as well as carbs? If my daily carb rate runs about 25-30 but my calories are around 1800 a day can I still lose weight? Just trying to figure it all out.
Judy211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I wouldn't count calories in the beginning, because there might not be a need for you to do so. Most people don't need to consciously limit calories, at least not in the beginning. Some people do need to, and more people will need to as they get closer to goal, but it's an individual thing. I have successfully done Atkins for several years wothout consciously limiting calories (though I've never gotten close to goal, so I may need to in the future).

Count carbs, follow the rules of the plan, and see what happens. If you do need to limit calories, you can later on.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Further to what Ntombi said, I wouldn't count them early on for other reasons, too. Most importantly, you are going to feel empty without carbs. If you are literally empty, without enough calories and fat, it will make it much harder to stay on track. To start, eat whatever you want until comfortably full, as often as necessary to reduce carb cravings. Over time, the amount will reduce automagically until you might not have to care at all.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
Further to what Ntombi said, I wouldn't count them early on for other reasons, too. Most importantly, you are going to feel empty without carbs. If you are literally empty, without enough calories and fat, it will make it much harder to stay on track. To start, eat whatever you want until comfortably full, as often as necessary to reduce carb cravings. Over time, the amount will reduce automagically until you might not have to care at all.
Exactly this. I started out like that. Had to start out that way, otherwise I would perpetually feel "empty." Gradually I have drastically reduced the amount of food I eat. I used to do 3 substantial meals, plus 3 or more snacks. I have completely cut out the snacks and I do one big lunch and a small dinner and am totally satisfied with that. I now want to cut out some of the fat. Not because I think fat is bad, but because I feel my body needs less of it now. I will still eat a high fat diet, but will no longer cover food in cheese or drench things in fat. I like the way my WOE has evolved to fit my body's needs.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
A lot of it depends upon your starting weight.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I definitely count. And, I tend do think the opposite- most people (especially women) do not get to a thin goal and maintain without counting calories or decreasing portion sizes.

What's your weight and height? 1800 can work at the beginning but if you are a smaller woman, or aiming for a smaller goal, then it's probably too much.

Most people can get away with eating a lot more at the beginning because they are starting out at a higher weight and because you lose a bunch of water weight at the start of induction. Focus on counting carbs accurately and then move on to calories in a few weeks if you are stalled or your rate of loss is very slow.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I started counting because I was afraid I was eating too few calories. I don't feel hungry on LC and end up not eating enough. This may have stalled me in the past.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
If you are on Atkins I think getting into Ketosis and getting your body use to ketogenic state is your primary goal. For a woe to work long term , Balance and kindness are paramount. Your body is going through major adaptations and you are already cutting calories by cutting the carbs.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maddierose
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I didn't count calories in the beginning. I now record everything I eat and drink to stay right on track with calories and carbs.
Maddierose is offline   Reply With Quote