Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Are calories important in the beginning? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804205-calories-important-beginning.html)

Judy211 05-15-2013 11:29 AM

Are calories important in the beginning?

I was wondering if anyone counts calories as well as carbs? If my daily carb rate runs about 25-30 but my calories are around 1800 a day can I still lose weight? Just trying to figure it all out. :dunno:

Ntombi 05-15-2013 11:58 AM

I wouldn't count calories in the beginning, because there might not be a need for you to do so. Most people don't need to consciously limit calories, at least not in the beginning. Some people do need to, and more people will need to as they get closer to goal, but it's an individual thing. I have successfully done Atkins for several years wothout consciously limiting calories (though I've never gotten close to goal, so I may need to in the future).

Count carbs, follow the rules of the plan, and see what happens. If you do need to limit calories, you can later on.

Geekin' in Utah 05-15-2013 12:23 PM

Further to what Ntombi said, I wouldn't count them early on for other reasons, too. Most importantly, you are going to feel empty without carbs. If you are literally empty, without enough calories and fat, it will make it much harder to stay on track. To start, eat whatever you want until comfortably full, as often as necessary to reduce carb cravings. Over time, the amount will reduce automagically until you might not have to care at all.

mimivac 05-15-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah (Post 16425929)
Further to what Ntombi said, I wouldn't count them early on for other reasons, too. Most importantly, you are going to feel empty without carbs. If you are literally empty, without enough calories and fat, it will make it much harder to stay on track. To start, eat whatever you want until comfortably full, as often as necessary to reduce carb cravings. Over time, the amount will reduce automagically until you might not have to care at all.

Exactly this. I started out like that. Had to start out that way, otherwise I would perpetually feel "empty." Gradually I have drastically reduced the amount of food I eat. I used to do 3 substantial meals, plus 3 or more snacks. I have completely cut out the snacks and I do one big lunch and a small dinner and am totally satisfied with that. I now want to cut out some of the fat. Not because I think fat is bad, but because I feel my body needs less of it now. I will still eat a high fat diet, but will no longer cover food in cheese or drench things in fat. I like the way my WOE has evolved to fit my body's needs.

peanutte 05-15-2013 12:32 PM

A lot of it depends upon your starting weight.

nolcjunk 05-15-2013 12:33 PM

I definitely count. And, I tend do think the opposite- most people (especially women) do not get to a thin goal and maintain without counting calories or decreasing portion sizes.

What's your weight and height? 1800 can work at the beginning but if you are a smaller woman, or aiming for a smaller goal, then it's probably too much.

Most people can get away with eating a lot more at the beginning because they are starting out at a higher weight and because you lose a bunch of water weight at the start of induction. Focus on counting carbs accurately and then move on to calories in a few weeks if you are stalled or your rate of loss is very slow.

Low Carb Librarian 05-15-2013 01:52 PM

I started counting because I was afraid I was eating too few calories. I don't feel hungry on LC and end up not eating enough. This may have stalled me in the past.

Spanilingo 05-15-2013 04:32 PM

If you are on Atkins I think getting into Ketosis and getting your body use to ketogenic state is your primary goal. For a woe to work long term , Balance and kindness are paramount. Your body is going through major adaptations and you are already cutting calories by cutting the carbs.

Maddierose 05-15-2013 05:47 PM

I didn't count calories in the beginning. I now record everything I eat and drink to stay right on track with calories and carbs.