LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
How Do I Answer This?

I get so tired of well meaning, but not very well informed people advising others on low carbing. I recentl read the following in part of a discussion and it really annoyed me

"I also would like to echo the sentiment about calcium and potassium: two crucial minerals that might be lacking in "high protein" diets, and I'd really hate to read about you dealing with osteoporosis or muscle/nerve/heart problems from improper calcium or potassium levels.

I think if you can get these things at proper levels from food sources, it's better than taking supplements, but getting good nutrition takes a little more work (hence the ******** recommendation)."

It just seems like a scare tactic to me. I would love to respond, but since i am still fairly new at this, Im not confident in my knowlege base yet.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
First of all, nutritional ketosis is not a high protein diet.

Secondly, a well formulated ketogenic diet is not lacking in potassium or calcium. Both are readily available in many of the foods that we often eat.

Thirdly, mind their freaking business, especially if they don't know what they're talking about in the first place, which their comments clearly show.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
If you think educating the person will help, Ntombi's response is right on the money. If they're a hopeless case just politely thank them for their concern and let them know it isn't up for discussion.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Its not a nutritional ketosis discussion, just a general low carb question

The discussion is on another forum, unrelated to low carbing. its just a bunch of us are low carbing and started talking about it. Because Im the only one of a specific LC forum, the others just believe what they hear. So yeah, I could say its none of their beeswax, but it wont help inform the others who are participating
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

And I should mention, the comment wasnt aimed at me, it was aimed at someone else asking if twitching legs was common on LC. The question was answered adequatly by others, but this little bit is just sitting there in the middle of the discussion like a canker
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Very few LC plans are high protein. Almost all LC plans encourage eating leafy greens and oily fish, both of which are sources of calcium and potassium. Not to mention most allow dairy as well.

If someone chooses not to eat kale, spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, salmon, etc., is that the fault of the plan which allows it, or the person's choices leading to a situation where supplementation is a good choice?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I don't have an answer for you... Just want to say "HI!" I haven't seen you and my other favorite South Pacific people -- Kiwi and Moniruth -- in a while and I've missed you all!

Cheers!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Very few LC plans are high protein. Almost all LC plans encourage eating leafy greens and oily fish, both of which are sources of calcium and potassium. Not to mention most allow dairy as well.

If someone chooses not to eat kale, spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, salmon, etc., is that the fault of the plan which allows it, or the person's choices leading to a situation where supplementation is a good choice?
I've decided to op out of he conversation. I gave whā I felt was a biology based reply and it was ignored. *sigh*

Hi Trillix. I've been away and I think Kiwi has been too. I read you one year update, congrats!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Good to know that Drs. Eades don't know what they're talking about.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

??? I dont understand the reference
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I get this sort of thing all the time. If it is someone who is close to me I just respond by saying "what do you mean?" or "where did you read that?!" If it is someone who doesn't matter that much to me, I will just say "oh, that is interesting." and change the subject. So much of what we read and hear is based on rumour and twisted facts. In fact sometimes I think it comes from people who don't want other people to succeed because it highlights their own failures. So if they see you successfully losing weight on a diet, they might say: "oh but that diet isn't good for you, it is harmful to your health and you shouldn't follow it." The hope is you will go off the diet and remain overweight so you aren't as threatening to be around. That is a pretty negative assessment but I think that is how we function as a society as a whole.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote