Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Lower carb foods... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804132-lower-carb-foods.html)

llisarray 05-14-2013 11:18 AM

Lower carb foods...

Some of you are so blessed :D ! Lol. I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get to a supermarket that offers anything 'low carb' ! Except for meat and veggies of course.

nolcjunk 05-14-2013 11:31 AM

You're probably better off.

The only "low carb foods" that are needed on lc are meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, and dairy.

evas 05-14-2013 11:35 AM

I agree with nolcjunk (nice name by the way!). I very recently cut out all low carb products as well as *most* dairy in an effort to follow a whole foods way of eating (kinda paleo) and the difference in how I feel and how I look is remarkable, even after only a very short time.

What low carb products are you looking for? You may be able to find them online (netrition is the most popular source I think) and the shipping might be less than, or equal to, the cost of gas (not to mention the time you spend) to take that 2 1/2 hour trip.

avid 05-14-2013 11:48 AM

I don't understand....
Are you looking for foods that say "low carb" on the package?
I go to walmart for most of my food.
If you haven't already, may I suggest that you start reading labels?
When considering a new product I immediately go to the 'nutrition information' section. I zero in on the carbohydrate number first, then the fiber which can be subtracted from the carbs, then the serving size. Lastly I look at the ingrediants. I will not eat anything with trans fat (hydrogenated) or high fructose corn syrup...I tried to avoid sugar in any form, but that is nearly impossible so I allow trace amounts in my diet so long as the carb count is low. By doing this I discovered some tasty lc prepared foods.
Polaner preserves w/fiber is one....canned fish like tuna or sardines, milled flax seed, frozen veggies like birds eye normandy blend, lunch meat, sour cream, cultured cheeses, rotisserie chicken, and other things as well....some products, like berries I looked up on a carb counter before shopping. For a fruit, Blackberries are pretty low carb for example.
Anyway.....Looking at my stats it's pretty obvious that lc works really well for weight loss.
I don't I think I ever once had a product in my kitchen with "low carb" on the label.
Good luck to you on your journey to lean health

Ntombi 05-14-2013 03:37 PM

I have a brick and mortar low carb store within half an hour of my house. It's been open for at least five years, probably longer. Ask me how many times I've been there.

Twice.

I don't buy that stuff. I buy a few sugar free items, like SF syrups and sweetzfree liquid Splenda, but mostly I buy and eat meat, eggs, dairy, and veg. That's it.

MtherGoos 05-14-2013 03:46 PM

I also try to use primarily whole, real foods. I buy Stevia drops to use in my water when I'm drinking ACV, and I bought some Guys Barbeque sauce from Netrition for my DBF to use on ribs, but other than that, it's all Meat, Eggs, Chesse, and Veggies at our house. What are you looking for?

ncgirl 05-14-2013 04:49 PM

Not sure if this will help, but I find a lot of items at Netrition - I'm not on a specific plan, just eat lower carb. I'll purchase Miss Meringue, Dixie Diner Pancake Mix, some of the Walden Farms items, Ostrim Jerky, Torani Syrups, Chocolite chocolates...they carry so many diverse products.
Good luck - hope you find that for which you are searching!! :)

Mistizoom 05-14-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncgirl (Post 16424664)
Not sure if this will help, but I find a lot of items at Netrition - I'm not on a specific plan, just eat lower carb. I'll purchase Miss Meringue, Dixie Diner Pancake Mix, some of the Walden Farms items, Ostrim Jerky, Torani Syrups, Chocolite chocolates...they carry so many diverse products.
Good luck - hope you find that for which you are searching!! :)

I agree, if you want some of the LC products you can't find locally, order from Netrition. They provide very good service, shipping is fast and they package everything very carefully. It's less than $5 to ship the whole order right to your house. You would spend more than that driving to the store that has LC items.

llisarray 05-14-2013 06:45 PM

Yes I'm very familiar with Netrition...so is my husband from seeing it on the CC bill. Haha. I do mainly meat, egg, cheese and veggies but it would be nice to be able to actually look at items to purchase....coconut flour, sugar free or Splenda added pickles, low sugar ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc, etc

cfine 05-14-2013 07:38 PM

As someone who has a local LC store, I can tell you that I still buy most of my specialty foods online. They have to mark the prices up so much and the products I buy are already expensive even buying them online. I try to buy things there sometimes though just to support them.

nolcjunk 05-14-2013 07:51 PM

There are plenty of pickles without sugar or HFCS you can find in supermarkets, usually they are the kosher brands.

Strawberry 05-14-2013 07:59 PM

I buy normal foods too. Nothing special. You are better off without a bunch of low carb fake-out products. They tend to stall people anyways.

Darkginger 05-15-2013 05:56 AM

2 and a half hours? You have it easy - I'd have to go to another country!

llisarray 05-15-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkginger (Post 16425231)
2 and a half hours? You have it easy - I'd have to go to another country!

:hyst:

Phranquie 05-15-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16424930)
There are plenty of pickles without sugar or HFCS you can find in supermarkets, usually they are the kosher brands.

Mt. Olive has pickles with Splenda. I found them the other day in Tom Thumb/Safeway.

DD80 05-15-2013 10:16 AM

I'm becoming increasingly wary of anything pre-made. It makes cooking and preparing foods more of an "ordeal," so to speak, but I feel better overall.

Make your own pickles! You can make easy refrigerator pickles without all the boiling/canning, just needs some spices, dill, vinegar, etc. However, you don't need specialized equipment to can/jar. It takes some time, but worth it.

NineOhNine 05-17-2013 08:10 AM

I'd hate to live in a "food desert." Metropolitan areas are great for access to ethnic markets, discounters, and specialty stores where you can find good quality proteins, produce, condiments and spices, and other products that support a low-carb/paleo WOE. To fill in items like nut flours and coconut, I generally buy on line.