Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Best of both . . . (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804127-best-both.html)

tandt 05-14-2013 10:12 AM

Best of both . . .

I just went to the vending machine for some nuts, because my lunch didn't do it today. I was looking at the carbs and glanced at the calories. I guess I forgot how high in calories low carb food can be. Since I am trying to keep track of calories to fine tune my weight loss, I was wondering - what is your favorite low carb, lower calorie snack? You know, the best of both worlds :up:

peanutte 05-14-2013 10:36 AM

Nuts are fine, particularly the lowest-carb ones like walnuts and almonds, as long as you are capable of having one ounce and not three. The nutrition in nuts makes them a good choice, in my opinion, but only if you limit your portion.

You can always go with raw veggies like celery, jicama, bell pepper strips, radishes, zucchini sticks and carrots. Of course those aren't going to be available in a vending machine so you have to plan ahead and cut up your snacks for the week.

Pickles are low calorie and low carb, but they are little salt bombs, so you might not want to eat a ton of them.

Lower-calorie sliced lunch meats like turkey or ham can be rolled up with lettuce and sprouts and spicy mustard.

When a person is further along in OWL, he can have Wasa crispbread crackers or other lower-carb crackers. Hummus would be another option at that point, because it's made from chickpeas, which are on the Legumes rung.

I think it would be wise to determine a calorie bracket for what you consider a snack. If you know you can spare 200 calories for a snack, or if you decide that your snacks ought to be about 100 calories, that will give you a good guideline so your snacks don't become mini-meals.

Also, I would consider keeping some flavored sparkling waters for that purpose. Sometimes we think we are hungry when we're really just feeling tired, bored or thirsty. I have found that sparkling water fills me up and hydrates me, and the flavor is a nice little bonus. I like LaCroix cran-raspberry the best.

MsWoods 05-14-2013 10:42 AM

My absolute favorite is No Man's Land beef jerky. It's 40 calories and 1g carb for 1oz and 1 oz takes a while to eat. I know it's not available everywhere, but you can buy it online. It's pretty expensive but it's the best quality and lowest carb jerky I can find.

SF Jello Cups. 5 calories and 0g carbs

Gluccomannan pudding. It's just almond milk, glucc powder, and whatever flavoring (syrup), so 35 cals and 1g carb for the almond milk (that's Silk brand I use).

nolcjunk 05-14-2013 12:33 PM

I don't snack because I like big meals and two big ones are enough for me, but if I ever need to have a snack (like if I am saving most of my calories for a big meal later on and am feeling hungry) I like some raw veg (like sliced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese, cut up peppers with hummus, a tomato mixed with feta cheese) or an apple, some berries, or a couple of Wasa Fiber crispbreads (8g carbs per slice and it's pretty big) with hummus or cream cheese and scallions. A couple of hard boiled eggs work well too.

raytamtay3 05-14-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16424086)
My absolute favorite is No Man's Land beef jerky. It's 40 calories and 1g carb for 1oz and 1 oz takes a while to eat. I know it's not available everywhere, but you can buy it online. It's pretty expensive but it's the best quality and lowest carb jerky I can find.

After reading this, and being hungry, I went to my vending machine and they had the jerky! But of course one was already stuck so I had to opt for a trail mix (minus the restricted items being removed)

Rhubarb 05-14-2013 12:51 PM

For me the absolute best snack to beat back hunger is a hard boiled egg. I love veggies and eat a lot of them but they don't fit that particular bill for me. When I really feel like I *need* something rather than just want to graze (which I try to avoid) I go for protein.

snowmop 05-14-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16424303)
For me the absolute best snack to beat back hunger is a hard boiled egg. I love veggies and eat a lot of them but they don't fit that particular bill for me. When I really feel like I *need* something rather than just want to graze (which I try to avoid) I go for protein.

I agree with the hard-boiled egg! Not only will it stop hunger, but I use it as a litmus test as to whether or not I'm really actually hungry or just looking for something to do. If I'm really hungry, a boiled egg sounds good.........

tandt 05-15-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16424303)

I agree, I don't consider veggies a snack. I will have to try the hard boiled egg route.

nolcjunk 05-15-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandt (Post 16425148)
I agree, I don't consider veggies a snack.

I am curious why you don't consider them a snack?

Phranquie 05-15-2013 08:01 AM

I like to microwave turkey pepperoni slices and then eat the "chips" with a little Laughing Cow Light wedge or with some Boursin.

I also like Moon Pops (also known as Miracle Pops) which are lide of like a puffed rice cake the size of a tortilla 16 cal/3 carbs. I use this as a base for guacamole or hummus or spreadable cheese. Add some turkey and I have an open face sandwich for under 100 calories.

Carbmaster yogurt (from Kroger) or Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurts are a good choice at 80 calories.

cchavez 05-15-2013 10:21 AM

Where do you buy your miracle pops? I have only found them at Central Market. Thanks.

tandt 05-15-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16425179)
I am curious why you don't consider them a snack?

After years of unhealthing eating, I associate veggies with something I don't like. I have acquired a taste for them and eat them as part of my meals, but a snack is something to me that is special or out of the ordinary. Veggies just don't fall under that category for me. Maybe someday . . . :o

nolcjunk 05-15-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandt (Post 16425767)
After years of unhealthing eating, I associate veggies with something I don't like. I have acquired a taste for them and eat them as part of my meals, but a snack is something to me that is special or out of the ordinary. Veggies just don't fall under that category for me. Maybe someday . . . :o

I definitely understand food associations.

I associate certain foods with certain people and their negative traits so I prefer not to eat those foods so I'm not like them. Now, that probably sounds mental.

Patience 05-15-2013 12:16 PM

The pepperoni slices with a wee bit of cheese are on my snack list, too.

Geekin' in Utah 05-15-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raytamtay3 (Post 16424286)
After reading this, and being hungry, I went to my vending machine and they had the jerky! But of course one was already stuck so I had to opt for a trail mix (minus the restricted items being removed)

You could have wound up with two of them, then!

Geekin' in Utah 05-15-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16425919)
The pepperoni slices with a wee bit of cheese are on my snack list, too.

I love microwaving them until crispy (around 45 seconds for 10-12) with some cream cheese, but I don't think it counts as low calorie. :)

Patience 05-15-2013 12:27 PM

I have been experimenting on how long to microwave and I am doing a minute and a half. They get crispy without burning. A lot of the fat cooks out, but they are so tasty I sometimes (well, usually) skip the cheese.

Phranquie 05-15-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchavez (Post 16425732)
Where do you buy your miracle pops? I have only found them at Central Market. Thanks.

I get mine at the Kroger on Maple Avenue and Medical District Road (near UT Southwestern and Parkland) . The other Krogers do not have them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah (Post 16425923)
I love microwaving them until crispy (around 45 seconds for 10-12) with some cream cheese, but I don't think it counts as low calorie. :)

I use 1oz turkey pepperoni (70 calories) and Laughing Cow Light wedge (35 cal). It is a nice filling snack for 105 calories.