Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Urrrrg!!! Darn you sugar alcohols!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804119-urrrrg-darn-you-sugar-alcohols.html)

keh216 05-14-2013 09:23 AM

Urrrrg!!! Darn you sugar alcohols!!

I am new here....my first post. But not new to low carbing. I had about 18 lbs to lose 2 weeks ago when I started induction. I lost 9 lbs in that 2 weeks. Half of my goal!!!! Well yesterday I decided to have a (or 2) "treat" that contained sugar alcohols. I had 4 sugar free jolly ranchers and 1 atkins peanut butter cup. OMG!!!! I am up 4 lbs overnight and now I have 13 more to lose instead of 9. I know what I have to do but man that is frustrating. Thanks for listening to my vent. :)

goldgirl24 05-14-2013 02:35 PM

I know! I've been eating a SF Jello Mousse everyday...I wonder if that's what's been stalling me.

DiamondDeb 05-14-2013 05:21 PM

Welcome to you both! :welcome:

Been there, done that. I can't handle sugar alcohols either.

I know a lot of people don't count them but, based on my own experience, I think they count as three times the carbs.

Mistizoom 05-14-2013 06:30 PM

:welcome: Now you know to be careful with sugar alchols. I avoid the LC candies becuase they seem to have a lot of calories along with sugar alcohols. It is likely all water weight, just get back to your normal LC eating plan and it should come off in no time.

VivaaLaCarlos 05-14-2013 06:36 PM

That's just water. Not physically possible to gain 4lbs of fat that fast. That candy didn't contain 12,000+ calories lol

Patience 05-14-2013 07:04 PM

I don't use sweetners but am wondering just what a sugar alcohol is.
Can some one help? Is it erythritol?

Mistizoom 05-14-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16424786)
I don't use sweetners but am wondering just what a sugar alcohol is.
Can some one help? Is it erythritol?

Erythritol is one, one of the best ones IMO. Xylitol and malitol are others. I think sorbitol is a sugar alcohol also. I'm sure there are more.

jmc305 05-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaaLaCarlos (Post 16424734)
That's just water. Not physically possible to gain 4lbs of fat that fast. That candy didn't contain 12,000+ calories lol

Yeah, what he said!

It sounds like you are in a pretty big hurry here. Most of us aren't talking goal weights on week 1, ;). I would say slow down and learn the low carb WOE or whatever weight you lose will never stay off. I would take it easy on the sugar alcohols. Try to get away from as much processed foods as possible. You can put chocolate and sugar free peanut butter together to make a faux Reese's and stop spending 8 dollars a box on Atkins stuff.

kitcub 05-15-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldgirl24 (Post 16424387)
I know! I've been eating a SF Jello Mousse everyday...I wonder if that's what's been stalling me.

Are you talking about the mousse temptations in the individual cups? I recently picked some up and looked at the label. Had something like 9 grams of carbs each and ingredients included cornstarch and milk which was too big of a risk for me. It could potentially cause problems I think. :annoyed:

keh216 05-15-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16424950)
Yeah, what he said!

It sounds like you are in a pretty big hurry here. Most of us aren't talking goal weights on week 1, ;). I would say slow down and learn the low carb WOE or whatever weight you lose will never stay off. I would take it easy on the sugar alcohols. Try to get away from as much processed foods as possible. You can put chocolate and sugar free peanut butter together to make a faux Reese's and stop spending 8 dollars a box on Atkins stuff.

Yeah, I am in a hurry but only because I was at my goal a few months ago, went on vacation (went way off plan) and gained. Like I said, I am not new to "low carbing" at all. I have been at it for 4 years. :) I needed to vent because in the last 4 years this was my first time trying sugar alcohols and they tasted so good. I only have a little to lose and I have clothes that are snug calling my name. It took me 4 years to lose 80+ lbs. I know slow and steady.

avid 05-15-2013 07:14 AM

sugar alcohols are carbs.
Subtracting them as per the corporate Atkins protocol simply doesn't work
I don't know of anyone who subtracts sugar alcohols from total carb intake
and is successfully losing weight.
YMMV of course, and there may be a few folks out there who can, but this topic comes up regularly on LCF and the verdict is pretty clear.....Sugar alcohols must be added to your net carb count.

PianoAl 05-15-2013 09:12 AM

Some sugar alcohols are good, some are bad. The good ones are very good. Please don't lump them all together!

I lost my weight and have been at my goal for years and I eat plenty of erythritol.

Erythritol is the perfect sweetener, it doesn't affect you. It is natural, it has a GI of zero and has no gastrointestinal effects. You won't see it in commercial products because it is expensive.

Xylitol is almost as good.

Maltitol is terrible.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39...pse4b71715.jpg

Weezy 05-15-2013 09:31 AM

I wish erythritol didn't impact me! It does taste good, but like all sweeteners, it sends my blood glucose too high. Then the cravings come.... Sigh....

I think it really does come down to YMMV on artificial sweeteners. If your body is really carb sensitive or you have blood sugar/insulin issues, then you need to carefully test to see what happens with an individual sweetener and the amount.

Took me several months to arrive at the conclusion that my body is better off with only rare, teeny-tiny amounts of pure stevia or saccharin--just enough to take an edge off of sour or bitter, but not enough to actually taste sweet. And then I only indulge in these about once a month or so.

Fortunately, going low carb has let me learn to enjoy the sour and bitter tastes out there--something I could never do when eating lots of sugar and sweeteners (I was pretty addicted to Sweet-n-low and Diet Dr. Pepper in the old days).