Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Strong sugar cravings... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804070-strong-sugar-cravings.html)

natural_born_texan 05-13-2013 12:49 PM

Strong sugar cravings...

When watching carbs, it's relatively easy for me to give up potatoes, bread, and pasta....but when I do, my cravings for sugar skyrocket! I wonder if these "super cravings" for sugar is my bodies way of trying to make up for the fact that I've cut out all the other crap?

Also, I know Dr. Atkins suggests using L-Glutemine to help eliminate sugar cravings...what are your experiences with this?

Weezy 05-13-2013 05:48 PM

It works--well, it did for me! YMMV.

A really good book that goes into aminos for cravings is: The Diet Cure by Julia Ross.

It REALLY helped me...I started taking some of the amino acids based on her suggestions and my cravings became bearable and then finally went away.

BTW--any chance there are hidden grains in anything you may be eating? Even miniscule amounts of grains make me go batty for sugar again.

Avy 05-13-2013 06:06 PM

I swear by The Diet Cure, and L-Glutamine. I also use a few other supplements for different reasons. I take Chromium with meals and L-Glutamine between meals. The both really help with cravings a lot, I notice a marked difference when I'm taking them and when I'm not.

Pami 05-13-2013 08:25 PM

L-Glut and lots of water- I used it religiously and temporarily- it really helped
with cravings. Soon you won't have cravings and you won't need the L-Glut
but if it takes a little longer, it's OK- the L-Glut is pretty inexpensive.

Atkins Chick 05-13-2013 08:57 PM

You know what I find strange?, I find that I have an extremely strong craving for sugar after I eat red meat. Beef, hamburger etc...... Happens right after I eat it every time. The less I avoid it the less sugar cravings I have.

If I do eat red meat which is perhaps 1x a week or so, I will have a half a can of diet soda which takes care of the sugar craving. I'm not a soda drinker what so ever so even a few sips does the trick for me.

Have you noticed any foods trigger your sugar craving?

jmc305 05-13-2013 08:59 PM

I need to re-read The Diet Cure and give it another try. I tried it a few months ago, and it did nothing. She recommends a 3-tier dosage level. Maybe I just need the maximum recommended dosage to get the effects.

To the original poster, I have had limited success with L-glutamine. I find that the capsules don't do anything (maybe it was the brand) but the powder works for me sometimes. I put a little bit under my tongue. It's gritty and does NOT taste good, despite what some say (I think Atkins and maybe Julia Ross says oh it tastes sooooo yummy, yeah right)

Gymnema sylvestre WILL temporarily destroy your tongue's ability to taste sweet if you break open a capsule and put a little bit on your tongue. But I find that if I swallow the pill whole, nothing tangible happens. So basically, you can make something sweet taste like DIRT but that really doesn't do anything to stop the actual craving.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If I knew the answer to your question I would be a very rich man, cuz I think sweets are what gets the majority of people, myself included. ;)

Geekin' in Utah 05-13-2013 09:17 PM

The craving may be an actual sugar addiction. Sugar and wheat are exogenic opioids, which mean they muck with your natural brain chemistry (dopamine, specifically). Your body may be used to the literal sugar high, and, when it doesn't come on schedule with the mouth chewing, the cravings kick in.

Just like with smoking or narcotics, not giving in will, over time, reduce the cravings. I've found that recognizing it for what it is (I'm literally a carb junkie!) helps me stay "clean".

lterry913 05-15-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah (Post 16423352)
The craving may be an actual sugar addiction. Sugar and wheat are exogenic opioids, which mean they muck with your natural brain chemistry (dopamine, specifically). Your body may be used to the literal sugar high, and, when it doesn't come on schedule with the mouth chewing, the cravings kick in.

Just like with smoking or narcotics, not giving in will, over time, reduce the cravings. I've found that recognizing it for what it is (I'm literally a carb junkie!) helps me stay "clean".

^^Tthis^^^ I too am a carboholic ...I still crave something sweetl...sometimes I have a lc one sometimes I don't ...but I know why I want it...it makes me feel good...like a reward for finishing my food...probably goes back to childhood positive reinforcement for cleaning my plate. If they only knew the negative affects it would have on me as an adult...who knew:dunno:

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 05-16-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_born_texan (Post 16422730)
When watching carbs, it's relatively easy for me to give up potatoes, bread, and pasta....but when I do, my cravings for sugar skyrocket! I wonder if these "super cravings" for sugar is my bodies way of trying to make up for the fact that I've cut out all the other crap?

Also, I know Dr. Atkins suggests using L-Glutemine to help eliminate sugar cravings...what are your experiences with this?

NBT, you mention in your post, "...but when I do, my cravings for sugar skyrocket...," but you didn't mention for how long.

Did you mean even after a week or two? With most LC programs, and particularly Atkins, you need to give it two full weeks (or 3 or 4, depending on the person) to rid your body of those sugar cravings. Maybe you've gone that long and still have them. Maybe not. That's unclear from your post.

My recommendation would be what others have suggested:

1) First, give it time. After a length of time of detoxing your body from carbs, your sensitivity to the bad carbs should improve. The longer you are disciplined, the better and more improvement you will see.

2) While waiting out that magic window of time (for you), try the L-Glutamine supps. I too prefer the powder, as it seems to work instantly.

3) Keep your fat up for the first two full weeks at least, or indefinitely if you can afford the extra calories. The more fat in your diet, the easier it is to control blood sugar.

4) Brief, light cardio helps me to combat intense cravings, esp at that time of the month when I crave most. 10, 15, 20 mins of walking, for instance, really helps to quash my cravings, and esp when combined with all the above.

Best of luck to you. :)