LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiana021
Stats: 157/148/135
WOE: low carb
Start Date: april 2004
Frustrated need encouragement!

I have been low carbing for 3 months now and have lost 17 pounds. The last three weeks the scale has not budged not one ounce. Is it usual for this to happen 3 months into this. I have not cheated not once I am eating the same way as when I started and it was working then what happened? I weigh everyday and there has been no change I just want to pick up that scale and throw it against the wall out of frustration. Is 17 pounds a good weight loss for 3 months time? Help me figure this out so that I can start losing again!
kiana021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Good morning Kiana ,

I completely understand you. I was complaining about the exact same thing in my diary just now. First of all any loss is good- ( I know, I know..) Your losses are actually better than mine.( On induction I lost 2.5 lbs only so far ).
What you might try is surprise your body and give it something different, increase the carbs for a day ( with good carbs, mind) if your plan does not rely on being in ketosis. Our bodies learn to recognise routine and adjust it needs according to what is coming and a little shake up of what it can expect can be good .

Another thought is how are your fat protein and carbs ratios. A tweak towards more fat less protein might get you going again.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 05-13-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Ohh ,I just saw that you are 5 lbs from your goal.That makes a difference too. The last 5 are notoriously hard to shift and unfortunately it is a waiting game. You can try what I suggested above but you might also consider upping your exercise level to get you to goal,without going mad of course.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiana021 View Post
I have been low carbing for 3 months now and have lost 17 pounds. The last three weeks the scale has not budged not one ounce. Is it usual for this to happen 3 months into this. I have not cheated not once I am eating the same way as when I started and it was working then what happened? I weigh everyday and there has been no change I just want to pick up that scale and throw it against the wall out of frustration. Is 17 pounds a good weight loss for 3 months time? Help me figure this out so that I can start losing again!
Don't really know if it is "good", but stalls are a common occurance, especially as you approach goal weight. Even if you are maintaining proper carb intake, your proteins might be too high. Some folks experiencing such stalls go on a "fat fast" to get things moving again.

You didn't really indicate what plan you are using so it is hard to speculate as to the cause. I have been currently stalled for a couple weeks but have a pretty good idea that my problem is protein quantity related. I am currently traveling and eating out a lot. When I get back home and back on a regular routine I will take care of the problem. For now I am content to maintain current weight and avoid any gain as I am in this for the long haul.

I personally find best results on a single good meal a day. If I start the day with breakfast, I am starved by noon. Without, I don't get hungry until mid-afternoon. Three meals a day for me are just too much to actually experience weight loss, even on under 30 carbs a day. YMMV.
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
It's not uncommon to have a few weeks like that. You might check to see if you're losing inches - that can happen even though the scale is stuck. Stay on program, and the scale will start moving again.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think the underlying question is, what's your hurry? Are you imagining you can stop eating like this when you get to your goal? Think about it. That's how you got to your high weight before, and it will happen again, regular as clockwork.

If I were you I would shed tears of joy and gratitude that you have done so well and use that motivation to plan a long future of eating right and not regaining that 17 lb. And maybe you will even lose more! Wouldn't that be delightful?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Weight loss tends to slow down near goal. around 6 pounds a month is a great rate of loss at your starting weight.

But, since you haven't lost anything in 3 weeks- what do you usually eat? (with the portion sizes). Have you been decreasing your calories over time?

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-13-2013 at 08:46 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Three weeks is nothing to be concerned about, especially so close to your goal weight. Out bodies sometimes need a bit of adjustment time, even if you're doing everything right.

I would do two things:

1. Make sure you're measuring yourself at several key points. Even when the scale doesn't move, the body can continue to shrink.

2. Don't change anything for at least another few weeks. A stall is six weeks with no pounds or inches lost for a reason. If you change things up every couple of weeks, you're not giving your body a chance to naturally move things along, and you won't know if you needed to change anything at all.

3. Remember that you didn't put the weight on in a consistent time frame, so expecting it to come off that way is unrealistic. Also, you're going to need to maintain your loss, so think of this as a little mini-maintenance, practice for the long haul.

4. Be honest about what you're eating. Have you gotten lax about portion sizes or carb creep?
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
If you are only 5 lbs from your goal weight (I didn't see that in your original post), are you sure your goal weight is realistic given your frame size? I am five foot tall and would love to weigh 120 lbs, but my frame is large (based on wrist measurement) so I decided I will have to settle for 125. Based on past experience, 120 lbs is just freakishly hard for me to maintain, whereas 125 lbs is easy if I don't let carb creep set in (and I look/feel just as good), so why would I fight my body over 5 lbs?
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote