LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/171/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
To weigh, or not to weigh?

I have been on strict induction for 8 days now. My ketostix have been testing positive since day 2. I feel like I have lost some weight, or at least some inches. I have no scales at home. The gym I go to on the weekends has no scales that I can see, but the branch I am going to go to after work tonight has them. I am trying to decide whether to weigh myself tonight or not. It's such a psychological thing for me. I feel a lot better and think I'm starting to look better, but I know if I get weighed tonight and the scale doesn't show any results I'm going to be bummed out. On the other hand, if it shows that I've done well, it will be a real boost. My BF had the kids with us this weekend, and they always order pizza when he has them, and I resisted, even though it's my favorite food. I feel strong enough to keep going, but don't want to be disappointed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
From what you've said, I'd suggest not weighing for now - but you might start taking measurements instead. They usually show a clearer downward trend than the scale.

It sounds like it's a tradeoff between the possible encouragement and the possible discouragement. I'd say to congratulate yourself for sticking on plan for eight days, even when you've tempted not to - get your boost from what you've done, not from a number from a machine that isn't even all that accurate!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I'm leaning toward not weighing until at least Wednesday, but we'll see if I can resist.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
For me, I used to hate weighing myself. But since I am eating LC I jump on the scale frequently, often more than once a day. Seeing it go up and down has desensitized me to small changes, and I know I've lost weight when a weight sticks for a few days. If you really think it would derail you to have not lost weight yet (though it sounds like you have) then hold off, but as long as you realize the scale doesn't tell the whole story then there's no harm in checking.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
In the short run, at least, since you are feeling so good, I'd say to continue not weighing.
You can always change your mind in the future, but perhaps no need to change what is working.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Scintillady,in short if you are doubtful and need to ask then there is no doubt.Don't weigh. Congrats on doing so well.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
weighing is a great tool. why can't people understand that the only truth the scale tells is in the TRENDS, not any particular day's weight?

people should, if they want the best information on how they are doing, weigh every day and put it on a chart. don't even think about the number. then SQUINT at the graph of your weights for the last week and see which direction the line is going. that's the trend.

if you don't weigh every day, you lose the ability to track this trend. but if you are going to take one day's number seriously and let it demotivate you, yeah, then you can't be trusted with the scales! LOL

then you will need to have someone else weigh you, track the number on a graph, and just let you know which way the trend line is heading! too bad we can't buy a scale that gives only that information.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
Hi,
Well done on your 8 days, that is a huge achievment.
I am just starting my 8th week on Atkins and i pretty much stick to Induction but have some nuts and strawberries now and then.
I was so scared that i might not have lost weight that i waited for 2 weeks and found that my clothes were getting bigger and bigger so just kept going.
I still only weigh myself every 2 weeks but am already down 2 sizes in some clothes.
On my last weigh in, a week ago, i had lost 21lbs but know i am much smaller in my measurements.
If you think the scales may put you off don't weigh. Just kept trying on those tighter clothes and you will see the difference.
Good luck xx
niklivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
weighing is a great tool. why can't people understand that the only truth the scale tells is in the TRENDS, not any particular day's weight?

people should, if they want the best information on how they are doing, weigh every day and put it on a chart. don't even think about the number. then SQUINT at the graph of your weights for the last week and see which direction the line is going. that's the trend.
If you use a spreadsheet, you can also average your last seven days of weights, then look at the trend of the averages. Averaging will tend to smooth out the variation from water weight, etc.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I decided not to weigh until I have been on low carb for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. 2 weeks will be the 18th, and 3 will be the 25th. I'm going to try to hold out that long if possible.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
When I was losing, I weighed every day and charted it. It was very motivating to see that line go down the chart over the months. It took about seven months for me to lose 40 lbs but the chart was amazing evidence that it was working.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
I just decided yesterday that I am not going to weigh for the next week. I have become kind of obsessive and slightly down when I saw the scale not moving or **gasp** moving up! So I'm with you.. I won't weigh until the 21st or 22nd.. not sure yet.
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I am a great believer in daily weighing. It keeps me on track.
But I use the same scale every day.
Scales can vary alot. The key to a good scale IMHO is consistancy.
So if I were you, I would buy a quality scale and avoid using others.
Or if you do use another, measure your progress against the last reading on that particular scale....Comparing weights from two different scales is likely inaccurate.
Best of luck to you on your way to lean good health
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
I think weighing everyday is an important tool in this journey. It keeps me accountable, on track, and motivated. There will be fluctuations, but that is all part of the process.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote