Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Judy211
WOE: Atkins
Congrats to you, that is awesome! Any advice or secrets you can offer to a chronic re-starter? Maybe your tips for success or a sample menu.
Judy211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Congratulations, Phranquie! I can't even IMAGINE how good you must feel having come so far. You've taken control over your health and your body in a way that most people will never do. That is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
I think some people will find a reason to judge and look down on others and overweight people are such an easy target, especially by people who have never had a weight problem and who cannot fathom letting themselves get so big.
I work out in a private gym with bodybuilders and I've been *bothered* by some of the attitudes I've encountered since I've lost some weight. It's like the fact that they see me in the gym and they can see that I've lost weight reinforces all of their uninformed bigotry against heavy people. I've had guys say things about how all fat people "need to get off the couch" and do what I'm doing in the gym. Blah blah blah. So I have this weird sort of "sell out" feeling, as if I've made people *more* ignorant and bigoted toward an entire group of people. I've called guys out on their comments and told them that being at 8% bodyfat doesn't make them *better* than anybody else, it just means they're leaner. And leanness isn't an indicator of character or quality. But when it comes to prejudice, I don't think there's any way to make people tolerant when being prejudiced makes them feel better about themselves.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy211 View Post
Congrats to you, that is awesome! Any advice or secrets you can offer to a chronic re-starter? Maybe your tips for success or a sample menu.
No big advice here. I think it finally sunk in that I am getting older and you don't see many really obese older people because they just don't live very long. I do not want to be disabled or chronically ill as I age.

I have been addressing my issues with food and how closely they are tied to my emotions and stress. Being able to recognize the urge to eat when I am upset or frazzled has been a big step for me. Stopping and sitting with uncomfortable feelings and thinking them through has been hard but has considerably reduced my urges to eat copious amounts of carby foods.

I also try to eat foods I really like. If I feel deprived I will think about food constantly like a hamster on a wheel in my brain until I eat that food. If I am eating great tasting LC foods I love this does not happen much. If I do feel a little deprived I eat avocados and bacon or maybe a small portion of ribeye. I might eat a bit more very LC foods for a day and then the cravings go away.

I find that I need to log everything I eat in my food journal and I try to plan my food for the day in advance and stick to the plan. If I change something I go back into my log to make adjustments so I know what my allowance is for the rest of the day. I weigh and measure everything. I even have a pocket sized digital scale that I can use in restaurants. If I didn't do this I would underestimate what I eat. I am finally starting to be able to approximate a specific portion now. I control my portions and I eat on small plates at home and only eat a small part of any meal at a restaurant. I also weigh myself daily which helps me be accountable.

I eat fairly simple foods of proteins and veggies and tend to eat the same things over and over before changing to a new group of foods. Typical foods are ham, eggs, grilled chicken, gyros meat, baked wings, chicken salad, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, deli turkey, bacon, fajita beef, chicken sausages, FF hotdogs, squash, avocado, hummus, green beans, asparagus, onions, zucchini, mushrooms. I don't cook as much as I used to as simple foods are just easier now.

I also am one who must eat lower calories and slightly higher carbs, right now I average 40-50 carbs. I eat several small meals a day. Some weeks I will do intermittent fasting eating between 4-9pm other weeks I eat several 150-200 cal meals. On weekends I tend to eat more carbs and will typically have one or two meals with a high carb portion. But I only have the carby food when I go out as the portions are controlled and I make sure I eat as few carbs earlier in the day as possible.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 182/175/126 5'1"
WOE: Jumping around like a flea on a dog.
Start Date: March 2011
156lbs! Jings!... that's amazing Phranquie.
Congratulations on your determination and perseverance.
Dolores Claiborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luckyone2934
Stats: 220/159(158)/where i'm comfy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2003
Congratulations! What an accomplishment!!
Luckyone2934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
No big advice here. I think it finally sunk in that I am getting older and you don't see many really obese older people because they just don't live very long. I do not want to be disabled or chronically ill as I age.

I have been addressing my issues with food and how closely they are tied to my emotions and stress. Being able to recognize the urge to eat when I am upset or frazzled has been a big step for me. Stopping and sitting with uncomfortable feelings and thinking them through has been hard but has considerably reduced my urges to eat copious amounts of carby foods.

I also try to eat foods I really like. If I feel deprived I will think about food constantly like a hamster on a wheel in my brain until I eat that food. If I am eating great tasting LC foods I love this does not happen much. If I do feel a little deprived I eat avocados and bacon or maybe a small portion of ribeye. I might eat a bit more very LC foods for a day and then the cravings go away.

I find that I need to log everything I eat in my food journal and I try to plan my food for the day in advance and stick to the plan. If I change something I go back into my log to make adjustments so I know what my allowance is for the rest of the day. I weigh and measure everything. I even have a pocket sized digital scale that I can use in restaurants. If I didn't do this I would underestimate what I eat. I am finally starting to be able to approximate a specific portion now. I control my portions and I eat on small plates at home and only eat a small part of any meal at a restaurant. I also weigh myself daily which helps me be accountable.I eat fairly simple foods of proteins and veggies and tend to eat the same things over and over before changing to a new group of foods. Typical foods are ham, eggs, grilled chicken, gyros meat, baked wings, chicken salad, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, deli turkey, bacon, fajita beef, chicken sausages, FF hotdogs, squash, avocado, hummus, green beans, asparagus, onions, zucchini, mushrooms. I don't cook as much as I used to as simple foods are just easier now.

I also am one who must eat lower calories and slightly higher carbs, right now I average 40-50 carbs. I eat several small meals a day. Some weeks I will do intermittent fasting eating between 4-9pm other weeks I eat several 150-200 cal meals. On weekends I tend to eat more carbs and will typically have one or two meals with a high carb portion. But I only have the carby food when I go out as the portions are controlled and I make sure I eat as few carbs earlier in the day as possible.
This just reaffirms that portion control is so important and is inspirational not just to those who have far to go but to those of us who can't seem to get rid of those pesky last 10 lbs. back to small plates & food scales it is! Congratulations! What an accomplishment!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote