Awesome

Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
To Trillex and all the others here who on this journey.... I went low carb in October 1999 as an experiment to see how it made me feel.... It's so easy to make this a lifestyle and never feel deprived... Your progress in one year is inspiring and I know that you have motivated others to stay on course. I still come to low carb friends to stay connected and remember why I do this and that it works. Congrats on your anniversary.... And many more to come!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Congratulations!!

I am really happy for you.

You have been a great addition to this board. Thanks for being here and sharing all your knowledge and inspiration!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Any time you post, I know I'm going to learn something. This was fantastic to read, and I can't wait to see what you do next! Congratulations on your success - truly inspiring!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Congratulations. What you have accomplished is absolutely spectacular.

It is great when we a find a solution to a problem, that makes sense and works, and you have proven that point. I waited until my second anniversary of low carb before I wrote about it probably because I wanted to make sure it was going to stick.

Your post are always interesting and informative but I will be the first to admit I don’t always understand them and that forces me to go out and do the research. Knowledge is always important and I thank you for sharing yours.

Keep up the good work and please continue to share.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
Also, where was your vacation? That background looks Moroccan.
Hi, Bianca! You're exactly right! I was in Morocco. The blue background is the "Hand of Fatima" detailing on the wall of the Hassan II mosque in Casablanca, and the colorful mosaic background is in the Koutubia in Marrakech. I was mostly in the Berber mountains of Morocco -- Oudja, Ouarzazate, and the Ourika Valley -- but I spent a week in Casablanca and a week in Marrakech.

I was mainly doing research on a fabulous, unique town called Melilla. Melilla is one of the towns that Spain refused to give up to Morocco after Moroccan independence because the town is "integral to the history and culture of the nation of Spain." So, Melilla is technically *in* Spain even though it's on the continent of Africa and is surrounded by Morocco. But it's legally part of the Spanish nation, so Melilla is a member of the European Union. However, because Spanish ownership is disputed by Morocco, Melilla doesn't pay taxes to Spain nor to the European Union so commodities like gas are super cheap in Melilla and a lot of people in southern Spanish cities take the auto ferry to buy things in Melilla.

Melilla *is* in Spain, so people born in Melilla are Spanish citizens, but the city's population is approximately 65% Berber. A large percentage of the Iberian Spaniards who live in Melilla are affiliated with the military -- who are in Melilla to police the disputed border with Morocco -- so even though they're a minority population in the city, the Spaniards in Melilla are super conservative and super nationalistic. There's only one public statue left standing in the nation of Spain of Spain's former Fascist dictator, Francisco Franco, and that statue stands proudly in Melilla. But I didn't see or experience or hear of any conflict between Berbers and Spanish nationalists. National borders are a lot less important to Berbers than their tribal identity, so I didn't meet any Berbers -- in Melilla or Morocco -- who cared whether Melilla was Spanish or Moroccan property.

If you've been to Morocco but you haven't been to Melilla, I highly recommend visiting Melilla. The town has an amazing cafe culture that's a hybrid of Spanish and Berber traditions. There's a Berber "guest" tradition, where it's customary to give gifts to guests, so you get free things whenever you're a "guest" at some establishment. So I would buy a cup of coffee and a liter of water while I was in a cafe, and the server would bring free plates of tapas every 15 minutes or so while I was there -- I would be at some cafes for 5-6 hours and there would be like 10 plates on the table when I left. The servers would also sit down and chat with me because they get, like, zero Americans in Melilla and everyone was trying to figure out how I found the town. And when I would buy something in a shop, the owner would give me a free bottle of scented oil along with my magazine or a free blanket when I bought a bracelet for my niece. The locals are always really kind to me when I travel, but Melilla took it to a whole different level.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing my excitement and joy at feeling so great one year later! I think it's rare to find the process of change as enjoyable at the change itself, but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed the process and that I believe my meals are genuinely more fantastic than what I was eating before.

Thank you so much for your kindness!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Okay, now I'm fascinated! I never knew about this. I'm adding Melilla to my list of must visit places! Morocco was already on it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Okay, now I'm fascinated! I never knew about this. I'm adding Melilla to my list of must visit places! Morocco was already on it.
I should also mention that Melilla is a beautiful city! The reigning architecture and city plan were designed by one of Gaudi's students, Enrique Nieto. So it's a beautiful, colorful, Barcelonan Modernist mosiac of a town. The buildings have the fairy tale feel mid-20th century Spanish visual arts. And the city is full of Modernist-inspired gardens with sculpted foliage and lots of indigenous North Africa flowering plants.

And I should also mention that Melilla is right on the sea, so there's a generous expanse of public beaches. I didn't *love* the beach experience, to be honest, because once word got out that I'm American -- I kid you not -- teenagers would flock to me on the beach to ask questions about America. IN FLOCKS! I loved talking with people in Melilla -- that's why I was there -- but the teenagers were too much for me. It sounds like a joke, but I seriously don't know enough a lot what Beyonce is doing, so I found myself in situations where I had a group of teenage girls showing me pictures on their phones and telling me about Hollywood.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Thanks for the post, it is very insightful as well as inspirational!
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
WOE: Low Carb
Great Work!
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
YOU. ARE. AMAZING.! This is incredible progress. This is so quotable: "I'VE MADE PROGRESS SIMPLY BECAUSE I HAVEN'T QUIT."

fresh tuna steaks in a homemade ginger and tamari is SO MUCH BETTER than chalupas anyway. Congratulations! You look incredible!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
wow... that is so impressive... and so sounds like me most of my life (the crappy part) and even worse now with age. You are an inspiration.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lalabella
WOE: very low carb
Thank you so much for the inspiration! I sometimes feel like I will never make it.
lalabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
incredibly inspiring! You have taken control of your future and your health and you are amazing!!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #48
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
(365 days + patience) - (pizza + tacos) = better + stronger

Hey, I like that equation... you must have a mathematical mind...

Perhaps we could call it "Trillex's Law"
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
WoW, really inspirational and you are so beautiful.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
(365 days + patience) - (pizza + tacos) = better + stronger

Hey, I like that equation... you must have a mathematical mind...

Perhaps we could call it "Trillex's Law"
HaHa!!! Until I publish the paper, it's "The Trillex Theorem."

You really made me laugh! TeeHee!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

THANK YOU, EVERYONE! You guys are all so lovely and encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabella View Post
I sometimes feel like I will never make it.
Honestly, Bella, I wanted to post as many details as I could because I didn't *really* believe that I was the "type of person" who could get anywhere near my fat loss goal. I'm not metabolically "gifted." I'm not one of the people who lost a pound a day during the first two weeks of induction. I'm just a *hopeful* Atkins dieter who has stuck with the book and plodded along with the program. It's a corny, fake-sounding cliche but, honestly, if I could get within 20 pounds of my goal, ANYBODY can get close to their own fat loss goal. If you look at my data -- my photos, my measurements, my monthly weights -- there is nothing extraordinary there *except* the fact that I just haven't quit. A few pounds every month simply adds up over time.

I just want everyone who is in their second or third or fourth month of *trying* -- people who are feeling like they're pushing a heavy rock up an incredibly steep hill -- to know that they don't have to lose an amazing number of pounds right off the bat in order to get to a much healthier, happier place. For some of us, it takes a long time but persistence eventually pays HUGE dividends.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Quote:
there is nothing extraordinary there *except* the fact that I just haven't quit.
To be fair, the is pretty extraordinary! But you are right, it is not an extraordinary that anybody else couldn't duplicate. Bite after bite, meal after meal, day after day, making the right choices time and again with no end in site.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
You ROCK!!!
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
great story - and i've love to visit melilla!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lalabella
WOE: very low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
THANK YOU, EVERYONE! You guys are all so lovely and encouraging!

Honestly, Bella, I wanted to post as many details as I could because I didn't *really* believe that I was the "type of person" who could get anywhere near my fat loss goal. I'm not metabolically "gifted." I'm not one of the people who lost a pound a day during the first two weeks of induction. I'm just a *hopeful* Atkins dieter who has stuck with the book and plodded along with the program. It's a corny, fake-sounding cliche but, honestly, if I could get within 20 pounds of my goal, ANYBODY can get close to their own fat loss goal. If you look at my data -- my photos, my measurements, my monthly weights -- there is nothing extraordinary there *except* the fact that I just haven't quit. A few pounds every month simply adds up over time.

I just want everyone who is in their second or third or fourth month of *trying* -- people who are feeling like they're pushing a heavy rock up an incredibly steep hill -- to know that they don't have to lose an amazing number of pounds right off the bat in order to get to a much healthier, happier place. For some of us, it takes a long time but persistence eventually pays HUGE dividends.
Thanks
I will have to get back on track *again* for the 20th time. I get so low and hopeless feeling sometimes, with 100+ to lose as I get older etc.

One foot in front of the other!

You are truly an inspiration!
lalabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I just wanted to say Congrats to you!!! You are doing a WONDERFUL job and so inspiring to so many of us...my one year is coming up the first of June. Hard to believe how fast time goes huh?
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
What a beautiful story you have, and what an amazing attitude! Your pictures are so inspiring as are your words of encouragement. You are absolutely right, if we just keep going and try not to get so hung up on the scale numbers, we will get to where we want to be! Thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us! I am so glad I ventured over to his side of the board to find it! Huge KUDOS to you!!!!

Ps- I just adore A2!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rita80
Stats: 178 / 173 / 138
Start Date: May 2013
I am beyond inspired!!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your journey!
Rita80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #59
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
That food was poisoning me and I'm no longer willing to kill myself just to enjoy a few minutes of the fleeting pleasure of a craptastically tasty meal.
Totally love this line!!!!!! This is the single most important thing people have to come to realize that that carby food isn't worth it for the moment it is your mouth.

Might seem stupid to some but when I am confronted with something I loved in my prejunk days. I stop and think about what it tasted like then swallowed and it was just a memory. So I think I remember the memory I have tasted it. Don't need it so I will find something as equally lovely and eat that.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote