Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Giving up diet coke experiment

As I have mentioned many times I have been eating a low carb diet for 9 years. I have fought kicking and screaming about giving up my diet coke. I realized one afternoon that I had developed a habit of drinking up to 10 cans a day. I thought Wow even if it isn't good for me it certainly is expensive. So maybe what I am doing is still not good for me it sure is less money. I found Wyler Lemonade packets at the dollar tree and have been drinking these. They do have aspartame but I put more water than directions call for and these really kick my hunger to the curb. I do not like the Mio's as they taste so much like koolaid. If I drink just water I get horrible heart burn that hurts so bad.

I have been trying to lose weight that had creeped up on me even though I still eat faithful low carb and have been eating less than 20 carbs and no more than 1000 calories a day for months and still no loss. I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago and nearly cried when when I saw the scale go to 128. Remember being so short I should weigh 115 or less.

Well it has been 2 weeks and only drinking one can of diet coke at dinner and yesterday none at all. I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 122. I cannot believe it. I has to be cutting out all that diet coke.

Oh how I hate to admit this!
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 05-11-2013 at 08:20 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
But by admitting this (ha!), you are helping others.
Well done, I say!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I love my diet coke too, but I hold it down to one or two a day, and it doesn't effect me.
Some say aspartame is the culprit. Have you tried Diet Rite Tangerine or Hanson's diet soda's. No aspartame in these, and I use them for my cream sodas. Yum.

Never heard of water causing heart burn. That's curious to me. Have you asked your doc about it?
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I love my diet coke too, but I hold it down to one or two a day, and it doesn't effect me.
Some say aspartame is the culprit. Have you tried Diet Rite Tangerine or Hanson's diet soda's. No aspartame in these, and I use them for my cream sodas. Yum.

Never heard of water causing heart burn. That's curious to me. Have you asked your doc about it?
Google about water causing heart burn. It happens to many. One nurse said that they often use water to test reflux in babies. Another nurse I spoke to said that you can put acid in water (like in toilet bowl cleaner) but never water in acid as it was bubble up. Not sure if this is true but would make sense.

Can't be the aspartame as these lemonade packets have it in it.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
WTG and congradulations of your weight loss and staying LC for nine years
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What about caffeine in the diet coke? (unless you drink decaff)
I've always been curous about whether caffeine (in whatever kind of beverage) causes stalls.
I believe Atkins and the Eades have said this is possible.
That is the one rule of induction I don't follow (giving up my caffeinated beverage of choice, coffee).
I am curious as to other's ideas and experience.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

I do drink at least 2 cups regular coffee (in the morning with half and half) I have no idea why this is working. Sodium maybe maybe the other stuff in it?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luckyone2934
Stats: 220/159(158)/where i'm comfy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2003
I gave up diet coke in January. I didn't set out to, but it literally was making me sick. I feel SO much better without it. I have a diet rite maybe once a week. I was drinking 2-3 diet cokes a day.

Congrats, Skeeter!
Luckyone2934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyone2934 View Post
I gave up diet coke in January. I didn't set out to, but it literally was making me sick. I feel SO much better without it. I have a diet rite maybe once a week. I was drinking 2-3 diet cokes a day.

Congrats, Skeeter!
2 or 3 might not have been bad but I would have one for breakfast
one for lunch then maybe 2 or more after
another for dinner and by the end of the day it was nothing to have polished of 10 or more.

We were going through two 24 packs a week sometimes more.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Wtg Skeeter. I can sympathize with you. I love Coke Zero, but I was drinking more and more, and I think it was causing crazy cravings. I feel much better since going cold turkey and my weight loss has picked back up.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #11

I really never cheat on carby foods. When looking back on the past 9 years my intake of diet coke has steadily gone up. My weight was creeping up and I believe that Dr. Atkins called it carb creep. I was never quite sure why the weight was going up even though my clothes still fit and I feel fine.

But still wasn't very happy with it and was trying very hard faithfully for months only 20 grams a day or less and less than 1000 calories.

This is my only change and I can live with this.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I love sodas, but am scared silly about sugar and aspertame. I have read so many reports and known so many people that have had problems with aspertame and now every diet soda seems to contain it. I have decided that water or home made lemonaid is much preferred. Saccarine has been around for about 100 years and causes cancer in lab rats but no evidence of that in humans. Stevia is harmless while splenda is rumored to cause some problems, but nothing like aspertame. I would prefer to rely on them instead.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Most artificial sweeteners cause blood sugar issues and cravings for me, so I gave up my diet sodas long ago (sigh--I LOVED my Diet Dr. Pepper).... I can see how they could cause gradual weight problems, especially if you were slowly increasing the amount you were drinking. Plus, there are a lot of other chemicals in them that probably aren't real good for us.

Congrats on having the courage to give them up!

Have you tried drinking fruity/herbal teas? I love them iced for summer and don't have to worry about artificial or chemical ingredients.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Most artificial sweeteners cause blood sugar issues and cravings for me, so I gave up my diet sodas long ago (sigh--I LOVED my Diet Dr. Pepper).... I can see how they could cause gradual weight problems, especially if you were slowly increasing the amount you were drinking. Plus, there are a lot of other chemicals in them that probably aren't real good for us.

Congrats on having the courage to give them up!

Have you tried drinking fruity/herbal teas? I love them iced for summer and don't have to worry about artificial or chemical ingredients.
I can only handle tea in small amounts. In fact I have a pitcher of ice in the fridge and seem to have a hard time making myself get a glass.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I just started making my own lemonade. I do one whole lemon, three droppers of stevia, and water in a two quart pitcher. It's so yummy and I don't even miss the coke.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I have a diet coke if I'm doing fast food (bun-less burger) for lunch. If I go to the diner, I have ice water which I add my diet tea-to-go mix. (Splenda).

I used to have unlimited access to sodas at work... with sugars... it was convenient but it sure it didn't do me any good.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago and nearly cried when when I saw the scale go to 128.

I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 122. I cannot believe it. It has to be cutting out all that diet coke.

Oh how I hate to admit this!
Are you comparing 128 on the doctor's scale with 122 on your scale? Were you wearing the same amount of clothing?
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #18

This morning I weighed 121 and after getting dressed in similar clothing I got on the scales and weighed 124. I am also eating induction but was before for over 2 months with no results. The scales are moving. I will also say I can wear a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear since last spring

Last edited by SkeeterN; 05-13-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/124/115 5'3''
skeeter, you said you were drinking them to combat hunger. with low carb you shouldnt have to be hungry, maybe you need to add more protein or fat, just more food and watch the junk (like diet coke, its just water and nasty chemicals) ...
when ever i catch myself drinking it i just think, its water and chemicals.. there cant be anything good about that...
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeedracer View Post
skeeter, you said you were drinking them to combat hunger. with low carb you shouldnt have to be hungry, maybe you need to add more protein or fat, just more food and watch the junk (like diet coke, its just water and nasty chemicals) ...
when ever i catch myself drinking it i just think, its water and chemicals.. there cant be anything good about that...
Don't drink them to combat hunger it is just a good side result is all. I eat plenty of fat but from all I read you need to keep your protein's low as well or you end up with gluconeogenesis (sp). Which confuses me silly but I am trying
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Don't drink them to combat hunger it is just a good side result is all. I eat plenty of fat but from all I read you need to keep your protein's low as well or you end up with gluconeogenesis (sp). Which confuses me silly but I am trying
I don't think you really have to keep proteins "low", but you do need to keep them to a moderate level. Gluconeogenesis is just a really fancy way of saying that if you have an overabundance of proteins the body will convert them to glucose to maintain blood sugar levels. According to Taubes, the body's preference for energy is 1) carbohydrates, 2) proteins, and 3) fats. Personally I find either water or "senior lemonaid" to work very well instead of soda or diet soda. YMMV.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #22

All my size 4s are fitting comfortably. I have been trying to drop these few pesky pounds for months. Still 121 this morning but in December I was 134 and that was without my clothes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
I just cant give it up. I've tried.

I've cut back to only a few a day, but I just hate water.

At least I still have coffee and powerade zero.
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
I also get terrible heartburn from drinking water...I created a post about it a while back...so I feel your pain. I drink roughly 100 oz. of Diet Dew a day. I have been trying to get into coffee, but it has always tasted awful to me. I can handle small amounts of tea...but Dew is the only thing I can drink that I actually like. As bad as that is.
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecarbs View Post
I also get terrible heartburn from drinking water...I created a post about it a while back...so I feel your pain. I drink roughly 100 oz. of Diet Dew a day. I have been trying to get into coffee, but it has always tasted awful to me. I can handle small amounts of tea...but Dew is the only thing I can drink that I actually like. As bad as that is.
Be careful with Mountain Dew as my daughter was going to have jaw surgery and the surgeon said to her. Do you drink Mountain Dew even diet? She said, no he said that it is like battery acid on the teeth and actually melts the teeth and that he weekly pulls entire mouthful of teeth of young people who drink it. He told her had she answered yes he wouldn't have performed her jaw surgery. He told her if she does drink soda that Diet Root Beer is the safest and to steer away from the clear ones and Mountain Dew especially, and always use a straw so that it doesn't get on the teeth as bad.

He also said that brushing your teeth right afterwards is bad as the enamel is so soft it just gets brushed off.

I have dental implants so this doesn't pertain to me.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #26

Gallery: flatferenghi
i have made the suggestion in the past, which i BELIEVE

TO BE TRUE-. that there is something in cola which provokes some sort of addiction. I, when I have soda, stick to the fruit flavors, and choc flavor. In the warm weather, I have more flavored seltzers, iced tea, diet snapple, and PLAIN WATER. In the cold weather I am more into hot coffee and tea, but keep cola on the back burner (i get a free can or 2 with chinese food delivery). I also make every attempt to drink 2 litres of PLAIN WATER, which IS, in cold weather, quite a challenge. So, experiment with flavors of soda that are not cola, y'all, and see how it goes. I have cut by over 50% my winter consumption of diet sodas, and in summer about 75%. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #27

Gallery: Tylar_Connar
Stats: -8lbs VLCD 18
WOE: HCG
Start Date: May
I drank diet coke for YEARS! I drank a great deal...up to a 2 liter a day. I started getting really dizzy, numbness, very tired, foregetful, and so spacy. I didnt understand. My husband suggested getting rid of diet coke. I did and I feel better since. As soon as I start drinking it again I feel the same way. I HATED water before but now I am fine with it.
Tylar_Connar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Be careful with Mountain Dew as my daughter was going to have jaw surgery and the surgeon said to her. Do you drink Mountain Dew even diet? She said, no he said that it is like battery acid on the teeth and actually melts the teeth and that he weekly pulls entire mouthful of teeth of young people who drink it. He told her had she answered yes he wouldn't have performed her jaw surgery. He told her if she does drink soda that Diet Root Beer is the safest and to steer away from the clear ones and Mountain Dew especially, and always use a straw so that it doesn't get on the teeth as bad.

He also said that brushing your teeth right afterwards is bad as the enamel is so soft it just gets brushed off.

I have dental implants so this doesn't pertain to me.
Anita, that happened to me. I use to live on Diet Mountain Dew for a while. Then once I went into the dentist for my six month check up, I had 14 cavities along the front gum line of my teeth from the Dew (all in that six month period between appointments). Haven't had a soda since then, now I am all coffee or tea, which of course, leaves me with a different problem of dark teeth.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats
Stats: 288/279/150
Start Date: 7/2014
I was addicted to diet soda for a long time. I drank at least a 6 pack a day, if not more. I would go to the convenience store and get a 64 oz diet soda and drink that every day. Sometimes I would drink double that. I started getting 4-5 headaches a week and I almost always had a sinus headache on Saturdays. I always assumed it was from oversleeping after a lack of sleep during the week. I finally quit drinking diet soda about 2-3 months ago and I have only had a couple of headaches since then. I drink water and iced tea, but my favorite is unsweetened seltzer/soda water. I love the fizzyness and don't miss the sugar or aspartame.
2kids2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
Congrats on kicking diet coke and losing weight I'm a major diet coke addict myself. I quit for a year and started up again one day because I was extremely stressed out. I do drink plenty of water but I need something with flavor too. I can't stand stevia, so that's out. I know Splenda isn't great health-wise but it has to be better than aspartame :\
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote