Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Class....gather round'....We are going to discuss CHEATING!

Ok,ok this thread is not the typical i cheated thread but some will be educated on cheating.

Cheating on this low carb WOE is frowned upon and is not the best option and if you can avoid this please do.But some of us are human and we are going to slip up from time to time that is just a reality and we have to face it.

Please do not cheat but if you have too or your body is calling you to cheat ...Think...and ask yourself."Is this worth it"?Will this be totally delishious and satisfy all earthly cravings and leave me satisfied?

So many times in the past i have cheated THINKING the cheat food would be delish and after i finished i felt so bad because it wasn't as good or mindblowing as i thought it would be.Then i felt guilty after and wished i would have made an omlet instead.So please think your cheat out and examine what you are about to put in your mouth.

Then there were other times when the cheat was so worth the 3 days of peeing the water weight out and getting back in ketosis such as thanksgiving,pizza hut pizza,red velvet cake,Bagels slathered in butter and applesauce etc

so you have to decide what is personally worth it to you .

Just another tip NEVER EVERRRRRRR drink your cheats.A full sugar soda or drink is never worth it. 4c makes line of drink mixes that taste exactly like the real thing.Especially the fruit punch.

Any thing you would like to add to the topic please do.

Last edited by Sugarfreebabe; 05-11-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I think it is important to remember if you slip up, don't wait until tomorrow to get back on the wagon. Do it right now. Spit that stale donut out of your mouth. Don't feel like a failure and give up for the day, do it now. Don't think that you'll start again next week. Start again right away.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Exactly Paula! Don't let a cheat "meal" turn into a cheat "day" or Week! Make your next meal Very LC and get back at it!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Exactly Paula! Don't let a cheat "meal" turn into a cheat "day" or Week! Make your next meal Very LC and get back at it!
I agree with this 75%.

I say After you cheat cleanse your body with a colon cleanser and drink water for the rest of the day and start your reset of atkins the next morning?Agree?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
Quote:
I say After you cheat cleanse your body with a colon cleanser and drink water for the rest of the day and start your reset of atkins the next morning?Agree?
Absolutely not! To me, this sounds too close to a binge/purge cycle for comfort. I don't recall reading about doing a post-binge cleanse in any iteration of the Atkins plan, so for me, it's as Off Plan as the bagel. And since wheat gives me joint pain, I'll happily stay away from both.
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe View Post
I agree with this 75%.

Definitely not!

Go back to your regular diet the very next meal and skip things like water fasts and colon cleanses.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
I can't bring myself to cheat. I've been there waaaay tooooo many times. The closest I have been to cheating in 13 weeks is licking my sons sucker when he asked what flavor it was. Was peach by the way
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Definitely not!

Go back to your regular diet the very next meal and skip things like water fasts and colon cleanses.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I plan my "cheats", only I call them treats. For instance, for Mother's Day we'll have a get together at my brothers. It's going to be steaks, potatoes, veg and salad. I'll pass up the potatoes. We're bringing the appetizer, a big bowl of guacamole and dippers, chips for the others, pork rinds for me. All good. Dessert will be my fave so there's my treat. And I intend to enjoy it w/out guilt.

This motivates me to be very good till then, and after then. Yeah, occasionally a cheat sneaks up on me, like the other night when I found myself yelling onion rings into the order box at a drive thru, w/my lettuce wrap burger. Who said that?! I wondered when I heard myself. Ate half of them and gave the rest to my husband, hopped back on plan.

So I say plan for it as I think most need a treat now and then, and a treat on plan is still on plan imo. And if the unplanned one pops up, get back on plan NOW, not tomorrow or next week. In my past I often allowed a slip to derail me. Now I think of it as the small mis step it is and jump back on the wagon fast.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I plan my "cheats", only I call them treats. For instance, for Mother's Day we'll have a get together at my brothers. It's going to be steaks, potatoes, veg and salad. I'll pass up the potatoes. We're bringing the appetizer, a big bowl of guacamole and dippers, chips for the others, pork rinds for me. All good. Dessert will be my fave so there's my treat. And I intend to enjoy it w/out guilt.

This motivates me to be very good till then, and after then. Yeah, occasionally a cheat sneaks up on me, like the other night when I found myself yelling onion rings into the order box at a drive thru, w/my lettuce wrap burger. Who said that?! I wondered when I heard myself. Ate half of them and gave the rest to my husband, hopped back on plan.

So I say plan for it as I think most need a treat now and then, and a treat on plan is still on plan imo. And if the unplanned one pops up, get back on plan NOW, not tomorrow or next week. In my past I often allowed a slip to derail me. Now I think of it as the small mis step it is and jump back on the wagon fast.

Were the onion rings worth it?Were they mindblowing or do you regret them?What kind of desserts will be at your brothers?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe View Post
Were the onion rings worth it?Were they mindblowing or do you regret them?What kind of desserts will be at your brothers?
The onion rings were fantastic --- Hardees makes the best, beer battered and loaded with carbs.

To be honest, I don't think of it as a big deal, just a bit of a slip because I didn't plan for it and didn't see it coming. The big deal would have been if I'd allowed them to derail me for a day or a week or...you know how that goes. That was two days ago, two days that I was right back on plan, and I actually have dropped a pound since.

Dessert will be my husband's key lime pie which is heaven. I'll have a thin slice and enjoy it. Then back to business. My planned treats are about every week and a half to two weeks, and they have not caused me any lasting gain, if I get right back on plan---which isn't hard for me because I know there'll always be another treat in my future, but it's just not going to be a lifestyle of treats anymore.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 99fenix
I cheated once..with alcohol. A bunch of research stating rum/vodka and diet whatever (i used pepsi one because it was made with splenda). stalled me out for a week. Put two pounds back on. Still can not get back to the weight I was at. Stalled 1 pounds away from where i was, Almost two weeks now...blah
99fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I haven't had one bite of anything off plan since I restarted January 3rd, and I won't until a friend and I go to our favorite restaurant next month. Then I'll have one off plan dish (not the whole meal), and get right back on plan. It's my favorite thing served at my favorite restaurant, and it'll be worth it. The other food I'll order is on plan and still delicious.

I prefer it this way, planning for something really amazing twice or thrice a year, and sticking to plan the rest of the time. Eating off plan and getting kicked out of ketosis on a regular basis really doesn't work for me.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I haven't had one bite of anything off plan since I restarted January 3rd, and I won't until a friend and I go to our favorite restaurant next month. Then I'll have one off plan dish (not the whole meal), and get right back on plan. It's my favorite thing served at my favorite restaurant, and it'll be worth it. The other food I'll order is on plan and still delicious.

I prefer it this way, planning for something really amazing twice or thrice a year, and sticking to plan the rest of the time. Eating off plan and getting kicked out of ketosis on a regular basis really doesn't work for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
I plan my "cheats", only I call them treats.
I've been doing something similar. At most once a month, I plan for something higher carb. I also plan what I'll be having the next few days.

For instance, every year, our friends have a HUGE potluck party - they're expecting 150 people this year, and they've hired a band. I'm going to bring something low-carb to share, and I'll be mindful of carbs when I'm trying other things ... but I'm sure I'll have a glass or two of wine, and maybe some portions of other things.

This obviously doesn't work for everyone (I know some people get carb cravings for a while after a higher-carb meal). Part of the reason I'm doing it this way is that I used to be a vegan, and I got tired of asking what was in everything, and not being able to participate in the occasional social event that involves food. I'm happier when I can occasionally say "That looks great - I'll try a bite."[/i]
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelocity View Post
Absolutely not! To me, this sounds too close to a binge/purge cycle for comfort. ....
yes! yes! I agree! isn’t interesting how difficult it is for many of us to break bad habits. the psychological “retraining” of our minds falls far behind the physiological “retraining” of our bodies. could this be part of why some people don’t get off of the “diet/fall off diet and regain” cycle.

Quote:
……
Dessert will be my husband's key lime pie which is heaven. I'll have a thin slice and enjoy it. Then back to business. My planned treats are about every week and a half to two weeks, and they have not caused me any lasting gain, if I get right back on plan---which isn't hard for me because I know there'll always be another treat in my future, but it's just not going to be a lifestyle of treats anymore.
i think this is a very sensible way to look at any woe; if you are having "treats" every day then they are no longer treats, it becomes your woe.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
The onion rings were fantastic --- Hardees makes the best, beer battered and loaded with carbs.

To be honest, I don't think of it as a big deal, just a bit of a slip because I didn't plan for it and didn't see it coming. The big deal would have been if I'd allowed them to derail me for a day or a week or...you know how that goes. That was two days ago, two days that I was right back on plan, and I actually have dropped a pound since.

10 large onion rings have about 25 g carbs, and if you only ate a half portion it may have been less. I think getting right back on plan is key to handling a cheat, if someone chooses to do it.

Lyle McDonald has written some interesting articles (and a book) about flexible dieting, and notes that research shows extremely rigid dieters tend to be heavier and have poorer long-term success. That may not be true of every strict dieter of course, but I find it reassuring to know I don't have to be 100% perfect to lose weight.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I go off plan but I always do it (or try to) knowingly and with a plan. I am at goal and definitely wouldn't recommend cheating/off plan foods while losing because it sets you back so much.

I am in maintenance, so a lot of higher carb foods are within my plan (per Atkins rungs) so it's not really cheating for me. I always get the best possible version of whatever food I want and enjoy it and don't feel guilty and then go right back to my diet. So if I want pizza I will get some from this tiny Italian pizza place that has the best fresh ingredients and imports most ingredients from Italy and tastes amazing. I'm not wasting my pizza treat on Dominos or whatever. Or, if I want cake it's going to be something homemade that is made from scratch, no anything from a box.

I try not to do it on impulse or with really junky foods.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
I don't ever really cheat, but i have gotten some bad lc habits that i think are not good and are responsible for me just maintaining at the weight i have been at currently for some time now. I usually drink 1-2 diet coke w/splenda daily and i also eat about 1/3 piece of lavash flatbread per day(sometimes a whole piece) and i do eat atkins bars. I do eat good lc veggies,meat and hb eggs,etc but realize i am developing bad "acceptable" habits.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Last night DD and I went to a new restaurant. I found a wonderful huge salad on the menu so I ordered that. It came with two breadsticks - the kind that are like pizza crust - similar to crazy bread. I gave one to DD and ate the other. I was just glad that it wasn't that warm soft pita bread because I have a huge problem resisting those.

DD wanted a foofy coffee treat afterward so we stopped at a drive-thru. I abstained.

Scale was still down this morning. That was the first carby thing I have had in quite awhile - so I refuse to beat myself up over it.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I go off plan but I always do it (or try to) knowingly and with a plan. I am at goal and definitely wouldn't recommend cheating/off plan foods while losing because it sets you back so much.

I am in maintenance, so a lot of higher carb foods are within my plan (per Atkins rungs) so it's not really cheating for me. I always get the best possible version of whatever food I want and enjoy it and don't feel guilty and then go right back to my diet. So if I want pizza I will get some from this tiny Italian pizza place that has the best fresh ingredients and imports most ingredients from Italy and tastes amazing. I'm not wasting my pizza treat on Dominos or whatever. Or, if I want cake it's going to be something homemade that is made from scratch, no anything from a box.

I try not to do it on impulse or with really junky foods.
Exactly.Its going to be worth it.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
The only time I consciously cheat is when I'm at someone else's house for dinner and it would be socially difficult to completely refuse to eat something they consider special. I eat as little as I can get away with, praise heavily and move on. I've found I can always find foods on a restaurant menu that I can eat and stay on plan, although I have gone above my daily average of carbs and calories while doing it from time to time. It hasn't hurt me so far.

I've been really trying to keep it simple and just say no to all refined sugar and starch, which makes things fairly easy when I've been tempted. Other carbs I deal with as part of my normal diet and if I end up overindulging on fruit or some fairly carby cheese or salami I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

It's early days for me in maintenance so I'm still working this all out. But so far so good.

Last edited by Rhubarb; 05-11-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
I hate the idea of a "cheat."
I consider anything I eat a choice!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
For me, I think "cheating" or "splurging" is more of a mental game than anything else. In the last couple of months, there have been 2 times when I've told myself I was going to cheat and allow myself a treat. Once was when I was with my kids and grandkids in Kansas, and we were planning a trip to our favorite frozen yogurt shop. The other was on our trip to Vegas. Both times, I told myself ahead of time that I was going to splurge and then get right back on track. BUT, both times, once I got there, I found I didn't want to splurge, and I didn't.
I think though, that if I had told myself that I COULDN'T have it, and was fighting myself over it, that I probably would have caved and cheated. It was knowing that I could have it, that kept me from doing it.
I'm not sure if this is making any sense. In my head it all makes sense, but when I try to type it out, I'm not sure it's coming out right! LOL
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I try to "never" cheat. Perhaps that depends on my definition of "cheat". To me it means going off plan without pre-planning it. Some folks plan off days on a regular basis. I plan one in a great while but absolutely refuse to do so on an unplanned basis. My friends have grown to understand that. When offered carby treats, I simply and politely say "No thank you". People understand allergies, diets and addictions and might think you quirky, but not rude.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I don't use the word cheat in my WOE. I do eat an off plan food from time to time, but I plan it out in advance. If I told myself that I could "never" have cheezits or a nutty bar again I would go crazy.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
yes! yes! I agree! isn’t interesting how difficult it is for many of us to break bad habits. the psychological “retraining” of our minds falls far behind the physiological “retraining” of our bodies. could this be part of why some people don’t get off of the “diet/fall off diet and regain” cycle.

i think this is a very sensible way to look at any woe; if you are having "treats" every day then they are no longer treats, it becomes your woe.
Hey margame, this is off topic, but could you, or someone, please tell me how you post w/multiple quotes? I cannot for the life of me figure it out, and it sure would be handy when you want to reply to more than one comment at once.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

To the right of the quote option is the button with "+ on it. That's the multiquote. Hit those on the ones you want to quote, and then hit the quote button on the last.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Agree that planned treats are the way to go, don't agree you have to wait till you're in maintenance to enjoy a treat now and then. I think this is another one of the many things that depend on the person.

For me it's going to take awhile to lose what I need to lose, probably a year. Being rigid w/myself for that long would not work, and would totally overwhelm me w/the task at hand.

I too plan for my treats, and by that I don't mean a carb binge day. I mean one or two things at a meal I wouldn't normally eat. For instance, for hubby and my anniversary it was a piece of garlic bread and then we split a creme brulee. I actually dropped 2 lbs the next morning, and that is not unusual for me after a treat night. Shaking things up a bit can break a stall. But it is paramount that I get right back on plan, and of course the treat has to be just that---a once in a while thing.

This has not set me back at all, in fact it's made this woe doable for me. I know it doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
10 large onion rings have about 25 g carbs, and if you only ate a half portion it may have been less. I think getting right back on plan is key to handling a cheat, if someone chooses to do it.

Lyle McDonald has written some interesting articles (and a book) about flexible dieting, and notes that research shows extremely rigid dieters tend to be heavier and have poorer long-term success. That may not be true of every strict dieter of course, but I find it reassuring to know I don't have to be 100% perfect to lose weight.
Unfortunately, Hardees onion rings are 45 grams an order, and there aren't many of them as they're huge and beer battered. Half was only about 4, and I had to put down 25 grams as I ate the biggest ones. But like I said, I got right back on plan, no gain from my little spree. And I agree, rigidity doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
To the right of the quote option is the button with "+ on it. That's the multiquote. Hit those on the ones you want to quote, and then hit the quote button on the last.
I did it! Thanks Ntombi, you've helped me out on this site several times, and I really appreciate it.