Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You're very welcome!

As for the terminology, I don't use the word cheat for myself, because I'm planning and making accommodations for the rare occasion I do eat off plan. Since I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life, eating an off plan food twice or thrice a year isn't a big deal while I'm in the (looooong) weight loss phase. When I'm in maintenance, it probably won't be much more often, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I do believe in the power of ketoadaptation, though, so going out of ketosis on a regular basis just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm talking about what works for me, and how I deal with things. I am happy to hear how others make their plan work for them.

As long as they don't wonder what's holding up their losses when they're having a "cheat day" every weekend.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I haven't had one bite of anything off plan since I restarted January 3rd, and I won't until a friend and I go to our favorite restaurant next month. Then I'll have one off plan dish (not the whole meal), and get right back on plan. It's my favorite thing served at my favorite restaurant, and it'll be worth it. The other food I'll order is on plan and still delicious.

I prefer it this way, planning for something really amazing twice or thrice a year, and sticking to plan the rest of the time. Eating off plan and getting kicked out of ketosis on a regular basis really doesn't work for me.
Yup, I just don't do it. I don't even start down the road to justifying why a certain food would be yummy or justthisonce or there'salwaystomorrow and other things like that, because that stresses me out. I just simply observe what I can eat and enjoy the heck out of it, then don't even entertain the junk I can't.

When I do go off plan with food type (as opposed to food quantity, I will absolutely overeat low carb food if it prevents me from eating something higher carb and worse), it is premeditated and planned to the last degree. I had cake and Japanese in March when I had my baby, I had bananas foster after my anniversary dinner this past Monday. On the other hand I did NOT eat off plan on Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. My birthday is tomorrow, as is Mother's Day, and I made a killer blueberry lowcarb cheesecake to celebrate instead of something off plan. Picking and choosing the rare indulgence is a different beast from a spontaneous cheat. It is controlled, premeditated, and there is a concrete plan in place before/during/after the food to get back on track as effortlessly as is possible. Keeping such things rare (like one holiday a year or postpartum) is why I haven't regained my weight over the years. I'm a slow loser because I constantly struggle with keeping my calories low enough, sure, but I'm automatically winning the war even if the battle is a challenge because I'm not yoyoing, constantly restarting, or back in the 260-270 pound range where I began!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I just plan for treats. Not everyday, maybe once a week. And it is one treat that I usually don't eat. Or, a social situation. We are going to a graduation party for my nephew tonight. It's a large catered party and they insist that I bring NOTHING. I usually ask about the menu and what I can bring.

The menu tonight is sub sandwiches, chips, potato salad, veggie tray, soft drinks and cake! I'll just enjoy the insides of a sub, some raw veggies and eat a piece of cake if it looks "treat worthy."
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
10 large onion rings have about 25 g carbs, and if you only ate a half portion it may have been less. I think getting right back on plan is key to handling a cheat, if someone chooses to do it.

Lyle McDonald has written some interesting articles (and a book) about flexible dieting, and notes that research shows extremely rigid dieters tend to be heavier and have poorer long-term success. That may not be true of every strict dieter of course, but I find it reassuring to know I don't have to be 100% perfect to lose weight.
That's absolutely been my experience and Lyle is great! I fail frequently to have perfect diet days, where my calories are in target range, but my carbs are almost always on (sometimes ten or so high) and no matter how bad a day might be I refuse to quit. Ever. So I'm a bad dieter day to day, compared to many on this board, but overall I am very successful because I don't slash every tire on my car over one flat (figuratively speaking).
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfreebabe View Post
Exactly.Its going to be worth it.
I third this sentiment!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
I hate the idea of a "cheat."
I consider anything I eat a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I don't use the word cheat in my WOE. I do eat an off plan food from time to time, but I plan it out in advance. If I told myself that I could "never" have cheezits or a nutty bar again I would go crazy.

I don't diet, so I don't cheat. I make healthy choices or I make unhealthy choices. There was a time in my life I made more unhealthy choices than healthy ones. Now I am in a point in my life that I have switched that around and make healthy choices more often than not.

When I weighed 282 pounds, that was the result of many, many unhealthy choices. Now my weight reflects the result of many, many healthy choices.

All choices (food & health related or not) are made one at a time, one moment at a time, one day at a time. Make your choices and move on. Diet/cheat/cleanse/diet repeat is a recipe for disaster for me.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
I don't use the word cheat in my WOE. I do eat an off plan food from time to time, but I plan it out in advance. If I told myself that I could "never" have cheezits or a nutty bar again I would go crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post

I don't diet, so I don't cheat. I make healthy choices or I make unhealthy choices. There was a time in my life I made more unhealthy choices than healthy ones. Now I am in a point in my life that I have switched that around and make healthy choices more often than not.

When I weighed 282 pounds, that was the result of many, many unhealthy choices. Now my weight reflects the result of many, many healthy choices.

All choices (food & health related or not) are made one at a time, one moment at a time, one day at a time. Make your choices and move on. Diet/cheat/cleanse/diet repeat is a recipe for disaster for me.

Diet/cheat/cleanse/diet/repeat is a recipe for disaster for anyone!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post

Diet/cheat/cleanse/diet/repeat is a recipe for disaster for anyone!
Lol you make it sound like were doing laundry.
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Sugarfree do you think you could have fried chicken on your diet days and then a free day on Sat.?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

On the CAD plan you can have a cheat meal every day . It is called the reward meal which is to be eaten in an hour. Join us on the CAD thread.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have a little bit of an extra challenge here bc I actually need to cheat when I have insulin reactions and they obviously can't be planned. The worst is when it happens first thing in the morning, which is of course the most common scenario. If my blood sugar is very low and I have just woken up, I am very likely eat several times more than I need to treat the low. When it happens later in the day, I'm usually good about only having however many skittles I think I need (usually between 5 and 20). It's a really trying situation bc, of course, I'm really seriously carb addicted and constantly having to upset the balance. It also bugs me bc I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'd like to be able to say that I'd had no transgressions for some period of time. And I do kinda say that -- I try not to think of my stupid life-saving skittles as bad behavior, but it's kinda hard to really feel like I've been doing a good job when I've had skittles 3 or 4 times a week.

I rarely eat off plan if I'm not low, and my off plan eating is getting fewer and farther between bc it just is not as satisfying as I want it to be. It's almost always a bit of a let down. This is a good thing, though! I am moving toward making better decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
and no matter how bad a day might be I refuse to quit. Ever.
This is the single most important thing, I think. Just stay in the game, keep plugging away... Do not let that one cheat snowball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
On the CAD plan you can have a cheat meal every day . It is called the reward meal which is to be eaten in an hour. Join us on the CAD thread.
Well, that sounds beautiful, but I only eat one meal a day. Honestly, I have never read about CAD bc to me the most amazing thing about LC is that it does wonders for my appetite and cravings, and I can't see that working if I'm having a carb meal every day. I love ketosis! But I am jealous of those who can get away w it.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I went totally off plan for about four or five days. Everything I ate tasted amazing, loved every bite. However, I remembered the real reason I low carb. Sugar makes me act like an insane person. So, I went back on plan. As for the future? Never say never...I just do my best each day.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #43

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I plan my foods out in advance.
That way, if there is a challenge, I have a method of dealing with it.

Last Saturday, for example, we went to a picnic event from about 3:30 till late.
After a regular breakfast and a snacky lunch, I ate a good-sized salad with meat and cheese and dressing at about 2:30. The only things good for me at the party were a few steamed clams and bottled water.

I was happy that the party didn't turn out to be a cheat for me. There's no way I could have made it through without that well-timed salad. If I'm going to have a cheat meal, I want it to be intentional and thoughtful, not a 'grab because you gotta' cheat.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
I never cheat either. I eat non low carb foods time to time. Cheating is loaded with all types of mental baggage. There is no moral value connected to my woe.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I never cheat either. I eat non low carb foods time to time. Cheating is loaded with all types of mental baggage. There is no moral value connected to my woe.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #46

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Good post.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
I cheat every friday: pizza,chips/salsa, pretzels and soda polished off with lc beer, been doing this for 13 years and lost 200 pounds, cheating works if you keep it in control.

Last edited by LCdave; 06-05-2013 at 07:39 AM..
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCdave View Post
I cheat every friday: pizza,chips/salsa, pretzels and soda polished off with lc beer, been doing this for 13 years and lost 200 pounds, cheating works if you keep it in control.
For you. Which is fine. It does not work that way for everyone.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-05-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
My DH and I are doing this together....We do not cheat as you may call it....We keep to the low low carbs but as my DH loves sweets I keep low carb vanilla ice cream, diet root beer or other diet sodas so he can enjoy a small bowl or make a ice cream float....I am the starch addict so once every 2 weeks we go out for carb meal...we do not over do the calories but we do enjoy a nice meal....then we get back on track the next minute we are home...We are not doing induction but some days we have very low carb days....we do not eat flour or sugar at all except when we have that one day out....We feel we must live not starve ourselves....we are taking it slow but we are losing and we want to do this for the rest of our lives. Yes we use splenda on our strawberries...and I use sweet and low in my ice tea everyday...and will not change...we only eat good fresh food for meals....we do not buy the LC items...nothing wrong with them ...our choice...
So we are doing it our way and IT IS easier with a partner....but even it I did not have that I would want to try to do it myself....don't give up.....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I actually had my first "cheat" day yesterday since I started this WOE in January. :\ It was not a typical cheat per se since anything I ate is still on my list of allowed foods for induction (It was mostly all salad veg and roast beef with some swiss cheese). I just went over my 20g carb limit and to around 2500 cals instead of my regular 1500-1800 and under 20 carb. I also usually only eat my meals in a small time window but yesterday I ate 3 times spread out across the entire day.

Today is DD so I am just drinking a ton of water and hoping to help flush it away lol
I do feel guilty about it a bit but I guess it could be worse. I could have gone off the induction foods and into bad carb & sugar land.

Last edited by Deosil; 06-05-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Were there any repurcutions? I ate a little more than usual yesterday and my weight today was .2 pounds up, which I don't think tells me anything. It coulda been that way no matter how I ate. I am going to try to stay on the straight and narrow today, though.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
As someone else said, this "cheating" stuff is all just a head game, and I don't include it in my vocabulary as far as my nutritional lifestyle goes. I don't cheat on my diet, but I do sometimes make a choice that isn't the best choice. But that's fine. So I'm not perfect, Big deal. None of us are and I saying that we were "bad" and we "cheated" is not a good thing, IMHO. I'm trying to be at peace with myself and my lifestyle, not constantly feel bad about it.

Alright, I will now step off my soapbox

Last edited by evas; 06-05-2013 at 12:24 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #53
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Cheating on my plan is not an option since gluten "hurts". I really don't want to spend the next few hours curled up in a semi-fetal position. It isn't worth it. I need to choose wisely at all times.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Were there any repurcutions? I ate a little more than usual yesterday and my weight today was .2 pounds up, which I don't think tells me anything. It coulda been that way no matter how I ate. I am going to try to stay on the straight and narrow today, though.
I DID weight myself this morning and saw no difference. I did however go to the bathroom many times during the night which probably drained me of any fluids. lol I did my normal 2.5 miles walk before I weighed also. I just got back inside from lawn cutting and a couple of hours of pretty strenuous yard work which I hope helps balance out yesterday. :P
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

I love cheating and cheat days. Just me though.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
This thread is 3 weeks old, and as I was re-reading it today I noticed that 3 weeks ago I said I allowed myself a treat every week and a half or so. And I suddenly realized I haven't had a real treat since I posted that (not counting a bite of this or that). That I've been satisfied enough w/my low carb foods that I didn't even notice I'd gone so long w/out anything really off plan. It's nice to realize that the deeper I go into this woe---4 months and counting---the more products, ideas, knowledge and recipes I collect, the less my old carb faves haunt me, and the more confident I feel in this woe.

For me, the motivation is in the process. I totally backed myself into this thing, starting w/50 grams of carbs a day or less, with treats often enough not to make me feel deprived. Now I average 30 grams a day, and need far less treats.

I think that's because I'm finding myself "treated" in different ways. As you build up some history on this woe, you begin to experience its rewards. Whether it's better blood tests, or looking better in your clothes, or the absence of heart burn, or feeling lighter and better, or many other things, it takes awhile for the rewards to accrue. But when they do, you have something to compete w/any desire to go off plan. You don't get his right out of the shoot.

I'll continue to give myself permission to have a higher carb treat, whether that's tomorrow, or a month from tomorrow. I think the idea is to WANT to eat on plan more often than not. When that occurs, you've hit your sweet spot---and I think you only get there when it's defined by choices you believe in with all your heart and experience, and can live with.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I think that's because I'm finding myself "treated" in different ways. As you build up some history on this woe, you begin to experience its rewards. Whether it's better blood tests, or looking better in your clothes, or the absence of heart burn, or feeling lighter and better, or many other things, it takes awhile for the rewards to accrue. But when they do, you have something to compete w/any desire to go off plan. You don't get his right out of the shoot.

I'll continue to give myself permission to have a higher carb treat, whether that's tomorrow, or a month from tomorrow. I think the idea is to WANT to eat on plan more often than not. When that occurs, you've hit your sweet spot---and I think you only get there when it's defined by choices you believe in with all your heart and experience, and can live with.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wicked
Stats: 260/188-190/185-190
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: July 2004
A treat day for me is splitting a bloomin' onion with my wife. I usually end up eating 2/3rds of it. Then big steak and salad. Beats sweets anyday!!
wicked is offline   Reply With Quote