LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momof1
Stats: 212/188/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 01/01/2014
How can this be?

Ok...so i have realized that it is hard to be fat and it is hard to change your woe.....so i choose my hard....read the atkins book and decided to change my lifestyle. I am doing atkins induction and in 5 days I have lost 9.5 pounds! I am sure it is all water weight and i have a long way to go, but what can I expect as a weekly loss? I would be thrilled with 2 pounds per week. Thanks guys....just a newbie seeking advice
momof1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Well done on your loss so far, I think 2lbs per week is definitely an attainable goal with atkins.

Keep at it x
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Congratulations on your 9.5 pounds! I bet that's highly motivating.

It's true that most people see a big initial loss and then things slow down, because of the water weight we lose when we drastically reduce our carbs. It's good that you already know that.

Nobody can guarantee a rate of loss, but I started at a weight similar to yours and I was losing an average of a pound a week. You might lose more quickly than I did, but even if you're a pound-a-week person like I was, those single pounds add up; and in your case you would probably be close to goal by the end of the year. I went from 188 to 140 between Jan. and mid-October of 2009. I hope that doesn't discourage you because honestly, the time flies, and it doesn't feel like that long when you're excited about your weekly losses. Just keep going--that's the most important thing!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I am averaging one pound per week. I averaged two pounds per week for the first five months. I am not quite as strict as I was in the beginning, but this is a WOL for me so as long as the trend is downward I am ok with the slower loss. I refuse to feel starved and deprived all of the time.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you are young and strict with what you eat, you just might do that much for awhile. probably not, but it doesn't really matter...

you realize that when you have reached your goal you will have to eat pretty much the same way to maintain it, right? that's the problem... we lose regain lose regain, and it's terrible for our metabolisms.

try not to lose any weight you aren't committed to keeping off. better to stay at 184 than get to 145 and back up to 200 next time, you know? good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #6

It's true that once we reach maintenance, we can't return to our old ways if we want to hang on to our losses. But by the time you are getting close to your goal weight, you will probably be used to eating the way you need to. I hope the OP doesn't get discouraged. Slow and steady is fine!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
if you are young and strict with what you eat, you just might do that much for awhile. probably not, but it doesn't really matter...

you realize that when you have reached your goal you will have to eat pretty much the same way to maintain it, right? that's the problem... we lose regain lose regain, and it's terrible for our metabolisms.

try not to lose any weight you aren't committed to keeping off. better to stay at 184 than get to 145 and back up to 200 next time, you know? good luck!
I think maintenance may be even more of a challenge than weight loss. The NY Times reported on a small study back in 2011 that showed leptin levels dropped by two-thirds after weight loss, and remained at a lower level after 1 year. Ghrelin levels increase also, which stimulates hunger. That doesn't help to keep weight off, especially if a dieter is thinking they can eat more freely now that they have lost weight.

I get frustrated sometimes because I rarely lose more than 1 lb per week and sometimes not even that. In the long run I'm probably better off because I see this as a way to eat for life, not a diet to go on and off.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

That is such a negative view and it makes me so sad. If someone thinks like that why even bother you know? Atkins said your goals are possible if you stay on the diet and keep trying, and it's true. If someone is just waiting to get fat again because
"it's inevitable" then the battle is half lost already and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, just biding time until you regain.

I've been maintaining for about 4 years now? And, I know several other women who are also small and have been managing to keep their weight at goal for a while. It is possible, but yes it takes work (just like anything else worth having/accomplishing in life) and you can't think that once you get to goal it will be cake and pizza time.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-10-2013 at 10:23 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Welcome, Congrats & KUTGW momof1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
It's true that once we reach maintenance, we can't return to our old ways if we want to hang on to our losses. But by the time you are getting close to your goal weight, you will probably be used to eating the way you need to. I hope the OP doesn't get discouraged. Slow and steady is fine!

peanutte: I am so impressed with your weight loss & enjoy reading your posts. I can't PM you, but I'd love to know your age, height, & typical day of eating on maintenance. Thanks!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
Ok...so i have realized that it is hard to be fat and it is hard to change your woe.....so i choose my hard....read the atkins book and decided to change my lifestyle. I am doing atkins induction and in 5 days I have lost 9.5 pounds! I am sure it is all water weight and i have a long way to go, but what can I expect as a weekly loss? I would be thrilled with 2 pounds per week. Thanks guys....just a newbie seeking advice
Great start. I would expect it to level off at around 2-3 pounds a week for a while, then 2, then 1 pound a week, etc.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

momov2boys: I am 44, and I'm 5' 3.5". I generally eat two meals a day and they consist of whole foods--eggs, vegetables and salads, a good sized protein portion for dinner, and some but not a lot of added oils or butter for cooking. Very little cheese or dairy.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
momov2boys: I am 44, and I'm 5' 3.5". I generally eat two meals a day and they consist of whole foods--eggs, vegetables and salads, a good sized protein portion for dinner, and some but not a lot of added oils or butter for cooking. Very little cheese or dairy.
Thank you!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I started on Dec 28 T 192 lbs and as of today I am down 36 lbs. thebwtnloss slows the second week of induction and then seems to come off in bits and spurts. I got stuck a few times along the way- not a stall, just my body trying to figure things out. Just keep doing what your doing.

Congrats
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
I'm currently losing 2 a week on average. I lost 9 pounds the first 10 days. So you're doing great. I'm not extremely strict with types of food, but I'm good at keeping my net carbs to plan. E.g. I ate nuts the first 2 weeks, but I stuck to my carb allowance.

Look-not everybody will be a yo-yo dieter. It is ENTIRELY up to YOU whether this is something permanent. Don't listen to haters. You are doing great. Do we all fall off the wagon at some point? Yeah, we're human. But if you get right back up every time, you will be alright.
squirrel watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
It is a myth that yoyo dieting hurts your metabolism.

Extremely low calorie diets can temporarily lower the metabolism, yoyo dieting doesn't really affect your metabolism at all. I'll try to find some of the literature in this.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
2 lbs a week is reasonable in the beginning.

Somewhere probably around week 3-5 you could see your weight go up slightly or you could go a week and not lose weight. It will be frustrating if it happens to you.
It is completely normal and happens to a lot of people. Keep your focus, keep going, and you will be rewarded with a "whoosh" - which is what we call it when we wake up suddenly several pounds lighter!

Eventually, your rate of loss will slow down, but by then you'll be convinced that this works and you will have lost a good portion of your weight and you'll know the rest will follow.

Keep up the great work!
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
That is such a negative view and it makes me so sad. If someone thinks like that why even bother you know? Atkins said your goals are possible if you stay on the diet and keep trying, and it's true. If someone is just waiting to get fat again because
"it's inevitable" then the battle is half lost already and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, just biding time until you regain.

I've been maintaining for about 4 years now? And, I know several other women who are also small and have been managing to keep their weight at goal for a while. It is possible, but yes it takes work (just like anything else worth having/accomplishing in life) and you can't think that once you get to goal it will be cake and pizza time.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote