Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
When do you buy new clothes after weight loss?

I've seen a lot of comments here about this, but I thought it might be fun and interesting to devote a whole thread to seeing how differently we all feel about this. And I KNOW we WILL all feel differently about it, but to me, that's part of the fun---seeing how we all manage this and not being alone in it.

So I'll start it off. The very day I started my LC woe, 3 months ago, I went out and bought myself a few new and fresh things. I realized I'd fallen into taking much less interest in how I looked because I was overweight. I had lost my joy in looking nice and feeling better because of it. I didn't spend a lot of money because I cannot afford to---but there are so many ways and places to freshen up your wardrobe without a big hurt to your wallet.

So I entered this woe with a few new nice things, and that motivated me. Those things were in the same old bigger size than I would have wished, but you know, they perked me up. I'm no fashionista, but I was as sick and tired of pulling on the same old uglies as I was sick and tired of my extra weight.
By buying a few nice things it felt like I was giving a to the future, and once again caring how I looked, even if I was a bit chubby.

I've lost 12 pounds since that day---not a lot up against many Low Carb losses over the same time period, but I'm doing a gentler version of Atkins, and that's working for me. About every 3 or 4 pound loss that STICKS, I buy myself a few new things. And now I'm starting to be able to buy at least some stuff I really like, as opposed to stuff that I'd never buy if it didn't cover up what I was trying to hide.

So for me, I'm not waiting till goal weight! That's going to take awhile and I have found that there's reward in feeling like I look better and feel better in whatever I'm wearing, as I go along.

But that's just me. I want to hear how y'all look at this. Won't change how I'm doing it, but that's not the point. It's just, I think, an interesting discussion.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 73,687
Gallery: DiamondDeb
I buy new clothes when my current ones are too big & I don't have smaller ones that fit.

Wearing clothes that don't fit well - too large or too small - looks sloppy & makes people look larger & that is not what I want. It doesn't matter if we still have a lot to lose - we still need to take care of ourselves NOW and care enough to dress well. Doing so will help us to feel good about the changes we're making as we shrink. It will help make it easier to adjust & feel comfortable with our smaller bodies. Live life now.

I don't have much luck at thrift stores. I get things on clearance (rarely just on sale) racks and I stalk things I like online until the price is very low. I have gotten a few great deals in the past few months.

I am extremely picky about my clothes & am having a hard time finding much worth buying right now. I'm wearing tops that are too 1-2 sizes too big & it is embarrassing. I hate looking sloppy.
__________________
It’s truly remarkable how successful Madison Avenue has been at indoctrinating
eating habits that produce huge profits for giant multinational corporations
– and developing devastating health consequences for consumers –
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
GAVIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 909
Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
I am a clearance/bargain shopper, and really love getting a good deal! I buy new stuff when the old doesn't fit anymore. I have had to do that a lot lately but try to be very cognizant of price since my size is changing fast. But I like to look nice for work everyday so I do invest in quality stuff.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
lilbeetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 610
Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Because my weight is changing quickly, I've been buying from consignment shops, or when there are clearance sales. Im not going to stay that size, so I dont want to spend much money. As I change sizes I pass them onto my daughter who is a couple of sizes difference and she then pases them onto her sister who is a few sizes up again. .. we're all low carbing

I figure when I get to maintainance, I will splash out on nice new stuff.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,564
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I've been contemplating this very issue, as the seasons are changing and I am quickly running out of clothes I can wear to work. I had to retire two more pairs of work pants today, and what I thought was a drawer full of old 3x tops that would still fit ok were all 4x tops that are way too big. I do have casual clothes for summer that will work for a while, but I have to get some clothes for work soon. I really don't want to spend a lot of money at this point, as I don't intend to stay at this size for long, but I don't know if Goodwill or thrift stores would work for me. I'll probably head to Walmart or Target and see what they have cheap.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
marieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Posts: 2,023
Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I finally decided to buy new clothes because my pants fell right off

Started out at 360 and wearing a 6x....that's right, a 6x!!!! I just spent some $$$ the last two weekends on new clothes because everyone was bagging on me that all my clothes looked like clown clothes!

Not only did I get a few things at Catherine's but Target as well! Can you believe I now wear a 1x.....I thought maybe there was a mistake! Please don't wait as long as I did

The one thing I still haven't replaced though are my underpants which actually down yesterday inside my capris as I was getting out of my car

Can you tell I hate to shop?
__________________
376/199/180
I've got a new attitude 12/04/06
And an even newer UPDATED attitude 9/1/2012
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I buy new clothes when my current ones are too big & I don't have smaller ones that fit.

Wearing clothes that don't fit well - too large or too small - looks sloppy & makes people look larger & that is not what I want. It doesn't matter if we still have a lot to lose - we still need to take care of ourselves NOW and care enough to dress well. Doing so will help us to feel good about the changes we're making as we shrink. It will help make it easier to adjust & feel comfortable with our smaller bodies. Live life now.

I don't have much luck at thrift stores. I get things on clearance (rarely just on sale) racks and I stalk things I like online until the price is very low. I have gotten a few great deals in the past few months.

I am extremely picky about my clothes & am having a hard time finding much worth buying right now. I'm wearing tops that are too 1-2 sizes too big & it is embarrassing. I hate looking sloppy.
Yep, imo, this:

"we still need to take care of ourselves NOW and care enough to dress well. Doing so will help us to feel good about the changes we're making as we shrink. It will help make it easier to adjust & feel comfortable with our smaller bodies. Live life now."

Oh! Especially, "LIVE LIFE NOW." IMO, don't wait till you're the perfect vision of what you hope to be. The days are always ticking away...

I don't do thrift stores for clothing either, although I sure shop them for household things. I find I can get brand new for not a lot more if I shop carefully. And I like crisp and new. Makes me feel the same way.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Janknitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,241
Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I'm at 60 lbs lost now, but my size hasn't changed a whole lot at the waist. But my. Daughter just made me buy something 2 sizes smaller than usual -- guess I prefer things baggy rather than tight.

I am buying smaller things seasonally. For this summer I'm buying tops 2 sizes smaller than my winter tops.


I'm trying not to spend much, as I hope to be even smaller NEXT summer.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVIV View Post
I am a clearance/bargain shopper, and really love getting a good deal! I buy new stuff when the old doesn't fit anymore. I have had to do that a lot lately but try to be very cognizant of price since my size is changing fast. But I like to look nice for work everyday so I do invest in quality stuff.
Boy, me too. Do I ever love getting a good deal! In terms of my weight loss, to me right now, a good deal is something I can afford to see me through my next 5 pound loss. And when, as I hope, those pieces are eventually too big for me, I will take great pleasure in donating them. I hope they don't get a lot of wear, and will be very suitable for others who have a need.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Because my weight is changing quickly, I've been buying from consignment shops, or when there are clearance sales. Im not going to stay that size, so I dont want to spend much money. As I change sizes I pass them onto my daughter who is a couple of sizes difference and she then pases them onto her sister who is a few sizes up again. .. we're all low carbing

I figure when I get to maintainance, I will splash out on nice new stuff.
How great that you're all low carbing. Talk about a support group!
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I've been contemplating this very issue, as the seasons are changing and I am quickly running out of clothes I can wear to work. I had to retire two more pairs of work pants today, and what I thought was a drawer full of old 3x tops that would still fit ok were all 4x tops that are way too big. I do have casual clothes for summer that will work for a while, but I have to get some clothes for work soon. I really don't want to spend a lot of money at this point, as I don't intend to stay at this size for long, but I don't know if Goodwill or thrift stores would work for me. I'll probably head to Walmart or Target and see what they have cheap.
Misti, this is a good problem to have, yes?! And I don't think that just because we invest in a couple of nice things for where we're at NOW, means we have any attention of staying there.

Believe me, like everyone else, I get the money thing. Heck, when I look at some of the netrition grocery lists here, I think, wow, what I could do w/that money. I've had an ongoing cart at netrition, and have not yet been able to pull the trigger on a single order. I keep finding alternatives, or finding it available w/out shipping costs.

So I guess we all choose our priorities. And there is absolutely no right or wrong on this, only what works best for each of us. And BTW, I don't do thrift stores for clothing either. Too much work, and frankly, a lot of it is overpriced for what it is. I take my chances at lower priced stores, w/their sales and clearances, and I've done quite well that way when it comes to clothing.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I finally decided to buy new clothes because my pants fell right off

Started out at 360 and wearing a 6x....that's right, a 6x!!!! I just spent some $$$ the last two weekends on new clothes because everyone was bagging on me that all my clothes looked like clown clothes!

Not only did I get a few things at Catherine's but Target as well! Can you believe I now wear a 1x.....I thought maybe there was a mistake! Please don't wait as long as I did

The one thing I still haven't replaced though are my underpants which actually down yesterday inside my capris as I was getting out of my car

Can you tell I hate to shop?
Oh, marieze! You made me laugh, and who can't use a laugh? Thanks. Congrats on the 1X! Coming from a 6X, that's quite an accomplishment. Enjoy your new duds, and in your words, don't wait that long again! And that includes your underwear. It's enough that sometimes the world feels like it's falling down around us w/out our underwear falling down too.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Luckyone2934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 164
Gallery: Luckyone2934
Stats: 220/159(158)/where i'm comfy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2003
I buy new clothes as I slim down from the current size. I am finding tho, that I am usually in between sizes, which is a huge pain.
Luckyone2934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,786
Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I highly recommend buying clothes as you lose weight, because then you look so much better and it's even more reinforcement to keep losing weight.

A few tops/pants in the right size can make a big difference. But, what makes the biggest difference - the right bra and underwear. You feel so much more confident with a good fitting bra with the right amount of support and it makes you look thinner and more put together instantly. And new panties make everyone feel better plus they are fairly cheap to replace.

I didn't buy a lot of clothes during weight loss because I still had my going up/getting fat clothes so I used those sizes in reverse. But, I was buying undergarments all the time. Bras especially need to replaced because they wear out and then give you no support so you look bad and feel bad. Plus, without proper support you are more likely to get the rocks in tube socks scenario later on in life.

If you shop sales, use store coupons (this is where having store cards comes in handy), and dont buy too much you should be able to have clothes for every size without spending too much.
__________________
Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-07-2013 at 06:08 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,293
Gallery: Patience
I like thrift stores for jeans because they are typically already shrunk. I hate to buy jeans that fit and then have them strink on me, or buying jeans with an allowance for shrinkage and find that they don't.

I got rid of my smaller size clothes this winter and now wish I had kept a couple pairs of the trousers, but on second thought I have too many clothes anyway, and I am going to focus on just a few new or used things that FIT. We will see.
It's going to be less painful to try on clothes that it was last year, but still I don't much like it because I've been in denial about my weight and those dressing room mirrors don't leave much to be denied.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
princessmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 4,175
Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I didn't get any of my smaller clothes out of storage boxes until I noticed my regular clothes getting bigger. I had Soo many smaller jeans that I couldn't wear because they were to tight. It was So amazing to me to actually be able to wear size 12 jeans after wearing Tight size 16's for so long. After the 12's got lose I mainly hit the resale shops for smaller clothes. Can't afford the brand new stuff
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: Weezy
I bought a few things as I was losing...but since I wasn't working "outside" then (I have a small business I do from home), it didn't matter how I dressed. Walmart t-shirts, and Costco jeans were what I wore as I shrunk because I didn't feel bad sending them to Goodwill when they became too big.

In February, I took a "real" job where there's actually a dress code, so I suddenly needed to have more formal business attire again--and none of my beautiful suits fit! I've gone from a size 22 jacket to a size 16/18, and a size 20 pant to a size 12/14. Any more weight loss won't really impact how clothes fit.

So I've started shopping the clearance racks in "normal sized" clothing stores like Coldwater Creek, Christopher & Banks, J. Jill, Macy's, Talbots, etc. Have found some GREAT deals that look very business like--and I'm learning to change my style too. Those shortie jackets now look great on me (I've got long legs and am tall)...what a weird feeling! Last week I bought a Chanel-style suit from Talbot's in a size 16 and it fits beautifully. Scary!

Now I'm in the process of re-making all of my clothing patterns--a real pain. I love to sew and in the past made a lot of my clothes. Because I'm very broad shouldered for a woman, I prefer to make my own clothes because they fit better..but remaking patterns is a slow process, especially since my "new" body is so very different than my old one and my mind has yet to really adjust.

I still like to buy cheap basics at Costco and Walmart--there can be some real gems hidden in there (i.e., good fabrics, good construction). I've discovered that those shirts and jeans at Costco are REALLY nice. Sizes are weird, but I just take home a couple of different sizes and return what I don't want. But I can get a shirt at Costco for $16 that is identical to one at Coldwater Creek costing about $40. And I love the $18 Gloria Vanderbilt jeans--except I now need a size 12 long which can be hard to find.

In the end, I think it is necessary to have at least one nice outfit that fits at any time. But I also think it's really hard to get back into the clothes thing after being fat. I used to dress for work (suits only) and anything else was just whatever covered me. Now I think about what I'm wearing even if I'm just going to the store--how odd is that????
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
snowdancer79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado's Playground
Posts: 1,423
Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I kept most of my "thin" clothes, so I have things I'm losing into. I also get things at the thrift store here, just an item here and there. I'm also gradually discarding my larger clothes. I think I need to do another closet overhaul here soon. I have a huge closet and absolutely no room.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,564
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Went to Walmart tonight. Found bras that fit well for $5 each. I bought some new underwear also. But they didn't have any work appropriate pants or tops that I could wear this summer. I'll have to try Target or the mall this weekend.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,689
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
I bought a few things as I was losing...but since I wasn't working "outside" then (I have a small business I do from home), it didn't matter how I dressed. Walmart t-shirts, and Costco jeans were what I wore as I shrunk because I didn't feel bad sending them to Goodwill when they became too big.

In February, I took a "real" job where there's actually a dress code, so I suddenly needed to have more formal business attire again--and none of my beautiful suits fit! I've gone from a size 22 jacket to a size 16/18, and a size 20 pant to a size 12/14. Any more weight loss won't really impact how clothes fit.

So I've started shopping the clearance racks in "normal sized" clothing stores like Coldwater Creek, Christopher & Banks, J. Jill, Macy's, Talbots, etc. Have found some GREAT deals that look very business like--and I'm learning to change my style too. Those shortie jackets now look great on me (I've got long legs and am tall)...what a weird feeling! Last week I bought a Chanel-style suit from Talbot's in a size 16 and it fits beautifully. Scary!

Now I'm in the process of re-making all of my clothing patterns--a real pain. I love to sew and in the past made a lot of my clothes. Because I'm very broad shouldered for a woman, I prefer to make my own clothes because they fit better..but remaking patterns is a slow process, especially since my "new" body is so very different than my old one and my mind has yet to really adjust.

I still like to buy cheap basics at Costco and Walmart--there can be some real gems hidden in there (i.e., good fabrics, good construction). I've discovered that those shirts and jeans at Costco are REALLY nice. Sizes are weird, but I just take home a couple of different sizes and return what I don't want. But I can get a shirt at Costco for $16 that is identical to one at Coldwater Creek costing about $40. And I love the $18 Gloria Vanderbilt jeans--except I now need a size 12 long which can be hard to find.

In the end, I think it is necessary to have at least one nice outfit that fits at any time. But I also think it's really hard to get back into the clothes thing after being fat. I used to dress for work (suits only) and anything else was just whatever covered me. Now I think about what I'm wearing even if I'm just going to the store--how odd is that????
Wow, weezy, I'm really impressed that you not only sew well, but that you re-make your patterns! As a gal who long ago tried to sew w/little success and much frustration, my hat is tipped to your talent.

And I think you bring up something really important when you talk about how it's kind of scary to trust the new and slimmer you. You say:

"But I also think it's really hard to get back into the clothes thing after being fat. I used to dress for work (suits only) and anything else was just whatever covered me. Now I think about what I'm wearing even if I'm just going to the store--how odd is that????"

While this is not my problem, as I LOVE looking better in a smaller size, I do think for many it's disconcerting to all of a sudden really care what you look like after years of ignoring that, and denying that you care. Like you said, all of a sudden you care what you look like at the grocery store.

That's an adjustment for many. You go from full tilt denial, to having a reason to care, which is also a risk. Very interesting, and thanks for your great post.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
debstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 126
Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
I had smaller clothes bagged up to take to the thrift shop that i had decided that i was never going to be able to wear again. I have pulled them out now to wear and some of them are even too big. I have bought a few new tops on sale and as i go down i have been buying 1-2 pair of new jeans. I usually wash them in cold and hang to dry, but as i go down find myself washing them in warm and putting them in the dryer trying to shrink them. What a change,even if it is very gradual!!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I'm at 60 lbs lost now, but my size hasn't changed a whole lot at the waist. But my. Daughter just made me buy something 2 sizes smaller than usual -- guess I prefer things baggy rather than tight.
I am w you on the baggy fit. No matter how big or small I am, I don't like tailored or form fitting clothes. And when I notice someone else's clothes, they're usually loose and drapey. At 170 pounds I am really rockin' my 3X tops! lol

So I have just gotten to a 40 pound loss and feel like I need some new stuff bc my old pants are falling off. It's nice timing bc of the change in weather. It would be great if whatever I buy in the fall would fit me at goal. What I get for this summer probably won't, though, so I'm going to try not to go overboard. I got several tank tops at thrift stores last week that I'm loving and ill probably get a couple of pairs of cropped pants. I'm planning on Ewing some elastic to the waistbands of my workout pants. And I've got several items from last time I got to this weight. I'm actually like two pounds lower than I've been since probably 2001, though, so I don't have anything smaller than this.
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!
 
Gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: East Central Indiana
Posts: 1,552
Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
For pants, I usually wait til they're about to fall off, which is now! I can take them off without unbuttoning them, but the hips are big so they're going anywhere...I hope not!

As for the shirts, I usually wear them too big, hoping the rolls don't show!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 214
Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Oh, marieze! You made me laugh, and who can't use a laugh? Thanks. Congrats on the 1X! Coming from a 6X, that's quite an accomplishment. Enjoy your new duds, and in your words, don't wait that long again! And that includes your underwear. It's enough that sometimes the world feels like it's falling down around us w/out our underwear falling down too.
Yup...I also love when people make me laugh and keep it real. Congrats on your progress Marieze !!

Last edited by emgee; 05-08-2013 at 04:31 AM..
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,053
Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I had to go shopping last night because we are finally getting warm weather - while it has been nice to stretch out my use of long-sleeved shirts, it is MAY and time for warm! But I was really disappointed because I had to go to Lane Bryant. I wanted to never ever set foot in there again. But I grabbed two shirts and they were on sale. Also, I was happy to notice that they have exercise wear now. I may go back to get a new work out bra, and bathing suit.

I also have a party to go to Saturday night, so I may have to pick up something to wear. I hate shopping to an event, rather than having clothes, but it is what it is. Thank goodness I can wear jeans and v-neck t-shirts to work!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #26
A&F
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 227
Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
I kept most of my "thin" clothes, and I'm finding that as I fit back into them they fit differently - of course it could be that I'm just much pickier about how I look in them now. Instead of starting over I'm taking them in to the tailor to have them nipped and tucked. Since I do still have a bit of weight to go before I hit goal I'm trying not to do that for too many yet. The one thing that I have been buying new as soon as my size changes are new bras. I hate ill fitting bras and want the girls to look as good as possible.

I'm looking forward to going out and doing some summer shopping though.
__________________
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
baileygirl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where The Green Grass Grows
Posts: 1,700
Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I feel summertime is a perfect time to buy new clothes!!! Its harder to hide in summer clothes so I feel that is a perfect time to also show off your weightloss. I had a lot of older clothes that I kept that were smaller that got me through the fall/winter so I had to go out and get Spring/Summer stuff for my new "permanent" size. As I was losing weight though I was like many others, did not spend a lot of money on clothes unless it was for a special occasion and had no choice. Second hand shops was my best friend. That is why I donate a lot of my clothing to people I know, cause they could be in the same boat as I was and grateful to get them. And what goes around comes around!!!
__________________
You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation.
- Bette Davis
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 914
Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
My opinion is that even if you are just beginning your weight loss journey you should buy at least one new outfit every six months. Something that looks flattering on you at the time. As you get closer and closer to goal, what looks good on you will change and these clothes serve a record of the evolution in the change in your body composition. Which is motivating. Also it is important to look and feel good in the clothes you are wearing. I made the mistake of wearing my old clothes last summer that were baggy and falling off me. All it did was attract all sorts of comments such as: "you're too skinny now, you look anorexic." "You need to eat more fattening foods" etc. As rude as the comments were, it is partially my own fault for wearing baggy clothes, I won't make the same mistake this summer, I am going to go out and buy some tight clothing that show the cellulite that is still on the back of my legs to prove that I do still have bodyfat! I am also going to buy a bikini that shows that yes, I don't have a perfect body and I still have some fat on my legs and thighs. In the past I used to hide these areas but that is when I was much more overweight. Hiding them now just seems to make people think that I am anorexic even though you can't see any bones in my body at all! Not to mention the fact that I am still much bigger than most teenagers my age of the same height and frame size.

My point is that how you dress and the clothes you wear are important. My aunt has been doing Dr. Bernstein and started losing when she was around 280lbs. I think she has lost around 50lbs now and she looks amazing in her new clothes. She dresses in a way that flatters her body even though she is still considered to be overweight. It attracts all sorts of positive comments that keep her motivating.

On the other hand we shouldn't be dressing for others which is true, but its funny how both her and I were/are on weight loss journeys and I was receiving all sorts of negative comments where as hers were positive. I think in my case it was because of the way I was dressing.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: Weezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Wow, weezy, I'm really impressed that you not only sew well, but that you re-make your patterns! As a gal who long ago tried to sew w/little success and much frustration, my hat is tipped to your talent.
Thanks, Blue Skies! I originally started sewing as a child because I couldn't find pants long enough, and shirt sleeves were always too short (and in those days sewing was actually cheaper than buying clothes). As an adult, I discovered that my back/upper shoulders have an odd shape and it was a pain to try to adjust patterns to fit. So in self-defense, I learned how to make patterns! I have to admit, what started out as necessity has become a hobby--I love to sew and make just about anything from potholders to drapes to hubby's shirts (and soon will be making my clothes again). I also quilt and make a lot of quilts for Project Linus.

I'm getting pickier about how things fit as I get older, and learning how to draft patterns has been the only way for me to go. Being tall, big boned (7.5" wrist!), with very broad/very forward shoulders means that my body is a challenge.

The odd thing is, losing weight has actually made it more difficult to fit! The fat covered a lot of the structural issues that I'm now learning how to cope with. The last time I was this weight, I wasn't as sophisticated regarding clothes or how I wanted them to fit and feel.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 330
Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/25/2012
I love to shop at Ross. Right now I am between sizes. Sometimes a 20 fits and sometimes I can get an 18. I started at 24.
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.