Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
The odd thing is, losing weight has actually made it more difficult to fit! The fat covered a lot of the structural issues that I'm now learning how to cope with. The last time I was this weight, I wasn't as sophisticated regarding clothes or how I wanted them to fit and feel.
Oh no! I thought it would only get easier to sew for myself! I'm not supposed to be sewing these days bc I'm studying for a big test that's at the end of july (ugh, seems like such a long time!), but I just bought a top at a thrift store that I loved the shape of and it was very flattering on me, but too short and I think I'd like it better if I added just a little bit of room to the body and arms. I think it will be pretty easy to cut it up and use as a pattern. OTOH, maybe it'll just lay on my sewing table until I peel myself up off the floor at the beginning of august and I will have lost so much weight by then that it'll fit perfectly -- though it is pretty short... At any rate, I am very much looking forward to sewing for myself again. I was thinking about what pants I wish I had for the summer, thinking about going out and buying some, but the ones I really want are smaller versions of ones that I make.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I love sewing, but I find it difficult to make clothes. Mainly because you need to know how to make alterations and I don't have any good sewing classes near me to learn. But I did go out shopping last week and bought some new clothes. I did find it really difficult to shop with my new body type. I found myself automatically looking at the style of clothes that USED TO flatter my body and then when I got into the change room I realized I had made a mistake with the clothes I had picked to try on. Not only the style but also the store. Some stores carry certain styles of clothing. I had to almost force myself to go into stores that carry completely different types of clothes. I think I need a professional maker over! Eventually by the end of the day I had somewhat figured out what looks good on me. But I had left the house wearing the wrong type of pants too.

I think buying new clothes is one of the most important things to do on your journey, but if you aren't quite at goal, I would only buy 1 to 2 new outfits and then do a lot of laundry, because your body shape will change. I waited until I was at my goal before buying anything new, but that might have been a mistake for me, because of the types of people I have around me. My clothes were really loose and unflattering last summer and it was attracting all sorts of negative comments like: "your too skinny." "you shouldn't lose any more weight you look unhealthy." When I went shopping on Thursday I bought clothes that fit me and are tight fitting (relatively speaking) so I doubt I will attract the same type of comments this year, even though I am 10lbs lighter than last summer.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serenity_Rose
Stats: 290/290/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2013
I buy most stuff at Goodwill and discount stores, or really good sales, but I keep clothes that fit regardless of what size I am. I look better, and so I feel better, and that's worth it When I get to goal weight, I'll splash out on a few new things, but I'll also be able to enjoy picking up the barely-worn designer stuff from thrift stores.
Serenity_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Went shopping yesterday for summer clothes and spent way too much. But I need clothes for work, I had nothing work appropriate. I bought 6 pairs pants and 3 tops. I still need more tops. Going back today to return a couple of things I changed my mind on and look a bit more. Good news is I am officially a 2X top at every store I tried, and 22W pants. Love, the vanity sizing, last time I weighed what I weigh now I am pretty sure I was in size 26 pants, but that was at least 15 years ago.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Hi all-

I have a girlfriend at work who is basically wearing hand-me-downs from her sister & mother until she hits GW.

I'm in the opposite camp - I love dressing up and looking cute but I also don't like to spend money on investment pieces so I "meet in the middle" and shop pretty much exclusively at Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshalls. Sometimes Target and Walmart for tops. Pants are the toughest for me....I am a pear shape (its ridiculous....I'm a size Small top and a size XL bottom). For tops, I'm a little safer buying more expensive pieces because I do not gain up top hardly at all....but for bottoms, it is tough because that is where most of the weight I've lost/am losing is...but when you have a "thick" lower body, fit is very important.
Candiceena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Oh no! I thought it would only get easier to sew for myself! I'm not supposed to be sewing these days bc I'm studying for a big test that's at the end of july (ugh, seems like such a long time!), but I just bought a top at a thrift store that I loved the shape of and it was very flattering on me, but too short and I think I'd like it better if I added just a little bit of room to the body and arms. I think it will be pretty easy to cut it up and use as a pattern. OTOH, maybe it'll just lay on my sewing table until I peel myself up off the floor at the beginning of august and I will have lost so much weight by then that it'll fit perfectly -- though it is pretty short... At any rate, I am very much looking forward to sewing for myself again. I was thinking about what pants I wish I had for the summer, thinking about going out and buying some, but the ones I really want are smaller versions of ones that I make.
I think it depends on your body and structure. My body is weird and I have something called "sternum excavatum" which is a concave chest...coupled with very broad shoulders that are VERY forward...and a very forward neck/head. Yup, I'm weird!

If you're more standard, then yes, I would think that losing weight would mean easier fitting/sewing. When you're ready, send me a PM if you have sewing questions! I love to talk sewing!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Punkin;16419546]I love sewing, but I find it difficult to make clothes. Mainly because you need to know how to make alterations and I don't have any good sewing classes near me to learn. But I did go out shopping last week and bought some new clothes. I did find it really difficult to shop with my new body type. I found myself automatically looking at the style of clothes that USED TO flatter my body and then when I got into the change room I realized I had made a mistake with the clothes I had picked to try on. Not only the style but also the store. Some stores carry certain styles of clothing. I had to almost force myself to go into stores that carry completely different types of clothes. I think I need a professional maker over! Eventually by the end of the day I had somewhat figured out what looks good on me. But I had left the house wearing the wrong type of pants too.

QUOTE]

This happened to me too! I finally took a friend with me--I needed an honest eye and someone to make me try on things that I wouldn't have otherwise. It really helped...but only because she's the kind of friend who has an eye for style/shape/fashion, and is very honest but I know that she has my best interest at heart. She'll tell me something looks awful, but I also trust her to tell me when it looks good.

Believe it or not, working with a stylist is GREAT! I hired one for a couple of hours to give me some advice on hair and general clothing shapes. I just need some ideas of styles for my body since I'll make my clothes. It was the best money I've ever spent and has saved me both time and money because I know what styles/shapes to look for or make now and I don't bother with what I know doesn't work as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
This weekend I gave Goodwill three pairs of jeans I was swimming in. I'm just back from buying a pair of size 14 jeans at Target. I can't remember the last time I bought clothing outside a plus-size store.

I was thinking of waiting even longer, but people on this thread were making a good point - you feel better when your clothes fit. (Even the jeans I kept are getting pretty baggy.)
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
I think it depends on your body and structure. My body is weird and I have something called "sternum excavatum" which is a concave chest...coupled with very broad shoulders that are VERY forward...and a very forward neck/head. Yup, I'm weird!

If you're more standard, then yes, I would think that losing weight would mean easier fitting/sewing. When you're ready, send me a PM if you have sewing questions! I love to talk sewing!
Do you have "forward neck posture"? I do and I've been working on it lately (have a brace, exercises, stretches, chiropractor) and I'm so happy I'm working on it. I feel a lot better. I have no shoulders to speak of, though, so I'm sure we're very differently shaped. lol I love to talk sewing, too! I'll give you a shout when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
This weekend I gave Goodwill three pairs of jeans I was swimming in. I'm just back from buying a pair of size 14 jeans at Target. I can't remember the last time I bought clothing outside a plus-size store.

I was thinking of waiting even longer, but people on this thread were making a good point - you feel better when your clothes fit. (Even the jeans I kept are getting pretty baggy.)
Good for you to jumping right into 14s! I was thrilled when I bought my first non-pluses but they were 16 and I've been in them forever and see no sign of getting out. And, I even have one pair of 16s that are still too small. Gah!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Do you have "forward neck posture"? I do and I've been working on it lately (have a brace, exercises, stretches, chiropractor) and I'm so happy I'm working on it. I feel a lot better. I have no shoulders to speak of, though, so I'm sure we're very differently shaped. lol I love to talk sewing, too! I'll give you a shout when I get there.

I do, but it isn't my posture--it's my bones. Ugh. Fortunately, I have a fabulous Hellerworker (it's a type of physical therapy/massage) that helps, and having two new hips REALLY helps (they were deformed and kept me from standing straight from the hips), but mostly I have to learn to deal with it because my skeleton simply won't let me stand with my shoulders/head back. Never has, and it isn't going to change much at my age.

But at least weightlifting and PT are making it much more bearable!

Can't wait until you're ready to sew! I'm working on a jeans style jacket this evening--the first one since tweaking my new pattern making software (I'm trying to see if the software is easier than drafting from scratch).

Last edited by Weezy; 05-13-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I buy new pants when the current ones look silly loose.
Then I go and buy two pair that fit tightly. Keeps me telling myself that
I still need to lose. I did this just a couple of weeks ago. The pants are still snug
and will be untill I lose about 3 or 4 more pounds. I'm not sure but these may be the last
pair I buy due to fit.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
I wore my baggy clothes until very recently when I splurged and bought a few new things...all of a sudden people are squealing about how great I look! They couldn't tell when I was hiding under my old clothes.
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maumie View Post
I wore my baggy clothes until very recently when I splurged and bought a few new things...all of a sudden people are squealing about how great I look! They couldn't tell when I was hiding under my old clothes.
It's great isn't it? I wore my first new outfit to work today and two people have already commented that I look good!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
It is great to look in the mirror and say "Damn, I look good" LOL
and it's nice to hear compliments from others as well.
I could live without the jealous comments though.....y'know the feigned concerned look followed by "your too thin, it's not healthy". Of course the people who say this are always somewhere between overweight and obese, but nevermind.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote