Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Feel fatter than ever

I know its in my head. I've lost a considerable amount of both weight and inches, but i feel fatter than ever. Everything i put on in the morning seems to highlight all the rolls and bulges. I don't feel like i look any different naked. If fact I feel more fat and disgusting now than i did at my heaviest.

Has anyone else gone through this?
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Yes! For me it was because I was in denial at my fattest- I would just sort of see myself and pretend that I wasn't that fat and would skim over my appearance quickly, but as I started losing weight I started looking more closely at my body and clothes and scrutinized my appearance more and saw more flaws than at my highest.

Just keep in mind that your mind is playing tricks. You've lost 30 pounds and no doubt you look better now.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
From your stats it would seem you've lost about half of what you want to lose. That's really good. So, you know that since you've lost 32 pounds, obviously you are smaller and you're just having one of those days where your eyes are not lining up with the reality of your weight.

The unfortunate thing for many of us is, we were able to gloss over our weight/size on the way up, but we see it differently on the way down. This happened to me and I'm sure to a lot of other people as well. Don't worry about it, just give yourself a reality check and keep going.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I am sending you hugs! I had one of those mornings yesterdays getting ready for church where I wanted to cry. I felt like nothing fits me right anymore and I look fat when I look in the mirror. I hate the way I look and feel right at the moment, however, a lot of that is hormonal for me I am afraid. I hope you feel better soon. You are doing GREAT!!!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much ladies. I hadn't thought about how I probably didn't spend that much time looking in the mirror when I was heavier and picked clothes that hid my shape instead of highlighting it. Thank you for reminding me.

And thank you so very much for reminding me just how far I have come. When I restarted in February I hadn't quite gotten back up to 185 and had forgotten that is where I started (despite it being right there in my stats).

Thank you ladies for the needed reality check.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Glad to hear you feel better.

You know what else--from this halfway point to your goal, your losses will show more. Five pounds will be more evident now than it was when you re-started. So this second 30 pounds is going to give you more visible and hopefully rewarding results than your hard work thus far.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Glad to hear you feel better.

You know what else--from this halfway point to your goal, your losses will show more. Five pounds will be more evident now than it was when you re-started. So this second 30 pounds is going to give you more visible and hopefully rewarding results than your hard work thus far.
This is so true. I've lost 12 pounds now, but nobody notices. Well, my mom does, but mom's don't count. And I remember this from my last time on LC, it wasn't till I'd lost about 30 lbs---right where A&F is now, that people really started to notice. The only caveat is that while the weight loss shows more, it often slows more too, and it's good to set expectations accordingly.

I also agree w/you and nolcjunk that when I'm at my heaviest I not only don't pay much attention to my body, I actually avoid mirrors, at least ones that show me below the neck. Now I find myself checking me out in the mirror, particularly from the side, as this is the view that most shows the change. Thankfully, a lot of the weight I've lost is in my midriff, exactly where I need it to GO AWAY.

Glad you're feeling better A&F. Next time these kind of blues hit you, you might try bringing out the clothes you were wearing 30 pounds ago, if you haven't gotten rid of them. It would be a real boost I think.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hooligan
Stats: 245/210/145
Start Date: Restart: August 2, 2012
I'm right there with you! I feel like I lose weirdly...and never where I should. My face, arms and upper body lose more dramatically than my stomach and waist, which actually seems to make them look larger because of the disproportional way I lose. That, and it doesn't help that the clothes I'm wearing to work are all getting big on me, which is a good thing, but I think it makes me look heavier than I really am and sloppy. I just refuse to buy new clothes right now. Summer's almost here and I won't need to worry about work clothes till August.

~Robert Frost

My Journal...such as it is
245 240 235 230 225 220 215 210 205 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I have these days too. Hugs to you!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
It's the high carb devil whispering in your ear, don't listen to him!!!! Lol. Keep up the good work and congratulations on your success thus far.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Its because you want to be at goal now. That is really difficult to get out of your head. It took me awhile to really retrain my mind to remind myself that it took years for me to pack on the fat, and to take it off is probably going to take a lot of time as well. It helps to go out and buy a new outfit that looks flattering on you now, that you like and wear it a few times a week, just to keep you motivating. Do this every six months and try to be patient. Reversing the process of fat accumulation takes time. It does get easier as you get closer to goal but it takes awhile to get there.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much ladies! Its good to know that we all have days where we just don't feel as good as we look.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I just wanted to share this with you...this morning my hubby told me I ought to be where I want to be right and comfy with everything...I broke down...I still have a few more pounds to go according to the scale. I just want to reach that stupid # on the scale. He said he can tell things have really started to take off again and I look like I have lost a lot more in the last few weeks (since I have started running) I have not budged on the scale in a long time. Why am I letting the scale win this battle? Why can't I see what he is seeing? Arghh...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Can you lock the scale away for a few days and just focus on how you feel in your skin, rather that a number?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Can you lock the scale away for a few days and just focus on how you feel in your skin, rather that a number?
I am seriously thinking about doing this. I am letting the scale control me and I don't like it. My husband has even threatened to do it. He has taken the batteries out before. I am gonna do it for real this time and see if it helps.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I'm going through this too right now. I'm losing the intramuscular fat and the viseral fat so I am shrinking, but I have not lost enough to start losing the subcutaneous(under the skin fat) so my fat rolls on my arms, legs and belly look even worse than when I was fatter with internal and musclar fat. I figure I have to look worse before I can look better but it sure is hard to look at the blobs of fat just hanging there...
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
that seems to be happening with me too, I am more aware of the flab around my waist than I have been for a long time! I am losing fat from my torso overall all which is a very good thing.

Last edited by Patience; 05-09-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I am feeling this way, myself. I think that for me, now that the more obvious issue of "size" is corrected, my eyes are becoming more focused on the condition I'm in. I don't know! I think we all probably have some issues with our bodies/weight, etc.. And it may just be that I'm always looking for the next thing to beat myself up for. Does that make any sense? God no! You are doing great, though. So even some days when you don't feel so great about what you see in the mirror, just know that you are succeeding! And that makes you a winner.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
Yes me too. I think that once you make up you're mind and you're really working it, impatience sets in. Now I want it all gone yesterday and the fat bugs me more than ever.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
I just wanted to share this with you...this morning my hubby told me I ought to be where I want to be right and comfy with everything...I broke down...I still have a few more pounds to go according to the scale. I just want to reach that stupid # on the scale. He said he can tell things have really started to take off again and I look like I have lost a lot more in the last few weeks (since I have started running) I have not budged on the scale in a long time. Why am I letting the scale win this battle? Why can't I see what he is seeing? Arghh...
Thanks for sharing. He sounds like a wonderful husband and I do hope that you see what he sees soon. I wish we could all see what our loved ones see. The suggestion of locking the scale away for awhile sounds like a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I'm going through this too right now. I'm losing the intramuscular fat and the viseral fat so I am shrinking, but I have not lost enough to start losing the subcutaneous(under the skin fat) so my fat rolls on my arms, legs and belly look even worse than when I was fatter with internal and musclar fat. I figure I have to look worse before I can look better but it sure is hard to look at the blobs of fat just hanging there...
Yep. Somehow everything is "squishier" and doesn't look as good as when I was all solidly fat. I'm crossing my fingers that the whole "look worse before you can look better" holds true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
I am feeling this way, myself. I think that for me, now that the more obvious issue of "size" is corrected, my eyes are becoming more focused on the condition I'm in. I don't know! I think we all probably have some issues with our bodies/weight, etc.. And it may just be that I'm always looking for the next thing to beat myself up for. Does that make any sense? God no! You are doing great, though. So even some days when you don't feel so great about what you see in the mirror, just know that you are succeeding! And that makes you a winner.
Thank you for the words of encouragement! We are all doing great, and like you, I think it is possible that once we acknowledge that our weight has become a problem we focus on it and beat ourselves up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Yes me too. I think that once you make up you're mind and you're really working it, impatience sets in. Now I want it all gone yesterday and the fat bugs me more than ever.
Completely agree!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #21
A&F
Senior LCF Member

You guys are just the best.

Love all you guys!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Thank goodness I don't own a scale. I would be weighing myself all the time, and every 1/4 pound or more upward would depress me, even if it was due to the fact that I just drank a quart of water! there's a scale at the gym where I work out, but so far I've resisted the urge to get on it, even though I'd like to see some weight loss so I can update my ticker on the bottom of my posts.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: illogical
Start Date: 05/13/2013
Dont fall for it...because I did I had almost same stats as have right now. I was 185 and went down to 155 and now I am 191 I just started telling myself, I have done all this hard work for so long and I am still FAT so slowly I started giving up on myself.....and now 3 years later I am 6lbs over where I started and I STILL DONT REMEMBER feeling skinny at 155......You have lost the weight, you can see it on the scale, numbers dont lie.......sometimes cloths do lol!!! We are here to cheer you on!!

START DATE 05/13
191.00 - 186.00 -> GOAL # 1

illogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoyalEric
man you guys are real. very insightful. all of us MUST realize it's never really over.
i love carbs. pizza bread potatoes rice risotto. why couldnt these things be zero carbs.
in my heaven yes. Oh, include german beer too while I'm at it. lol. you just gotta wonder.
i put back 15lbs i had lost ... i was feeling sooo good & i partied. lol. but I'm going back
to being serious. i think i learned a lot.
LoyalEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I have one word for you:

Spanx

I don't feel fatter than ever, but I do feel squishy. I also am wearing more "fitted" clothes. My pants were all elastic waists before, now I have structured pants with a waistband and sometimes can get an extra "lump or bump" here or there from the newer smaller clothing. This was very frustrating to me. I bought myself a Spanx camisole and what a wonderful difference it makes with certain outfits. Try it! I just ordered it online. I got the type that fits around the bra, so you wear your own bra.
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
shapewear makes me really hot and sweaty!! and nothing can really hide my fat so I just cover it with looser clothing.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote