Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Gallery: PrissyPixie
Pro's And Cons.. Should I Low carb?


Okay so i've decided i should give low carb another try this will probably be about my fifth try... Low carb has been very good to me and very bad, I've had my gallbladder removed im pretty sure due to LC, I've had my hair fall out 100% sure to LC and i've been very sick felling faint and dizzy and just awful thanks to LC.

With that said i'm the biggest I've been in years weighing in at 260 pounds and i'm just fed up I want to lose weight... I dont have any energy to workout as I work all day on my feet when i come home I want to rest. On my days off I want to rest.

The longest ive tried LC was 8 months and I went from 280-230 bt i was forced to refeed every month to see any weight loss and just got fed up...

I just say drew carey on price is right and think to myself why cant i see results like that, why cant I just eat meat and lose weight, i hoping it will work that way this time around, if not sigh...

So is it worth having my hair fall out, feeling sick like im going to pass out, having to refeed every month, going through ketosis... no bread.. wondering if diet soda or sugar free candy is stalling you etc...

At this point I say it is, but im not truly sure.
PrissyPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Were you eating plenty of fat?
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
princessmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 4,179
Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I never had my hair fall out with LC. Didn't know that could happen?
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
SweetMe678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 243
Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I think another example of YMMV. My hair and nails and skin all get way healthier LC.

I would also think something isn't right if you feel ill the whole time you are LC? My mom felt that way once a few years ago when she came back to Atkins, and it turned out that her electrolytes were WAY out of proportion, per a test by her Doc.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!
 
suzanneyea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10,793
Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
All those things are not because of a proper low carb diet. Either you are not following the plan correctly or you have other health issues.
What plan were you following when all this happened? What were you eating on a typical day?
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Gallery: PrissyPixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I think another example of YMMV. My hair and nails and skin all get way healthier LC.

I would also think something isn't right if you feel ill the whole time you are LC? My mom felt that way once a few years ago when she came back to Atkins, and it turned out that her electrolytes were WAY out of proportion, per a test by her Doc.
Its not the whole time just the first month or two... known to many as the induction flu geeze just thinking about it the insomnia, metal mouth, faint feeling, not being hungry for the first few weeks.. just feeling aw to the ful...

search Jason's Biotin shampoo and Biotin works wonders for many low carbers, i wouldnt do low carb if not for the shampoo and caps.. i'd be bald
PrissyPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 323
Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
I disagree that only doing LC wrong causes issues. even done right, strict ketogenic low carb is not for everyone. While some people thrive and do beautify, some never get rid of the headaches, the feeling down and depressed and so on. Each of us is different. PrissyPixie, have you tried other things? Such as palio (with added root veggies) or counting both carbs calories without severely restricting carbs? (like south beach?) Wising you luck.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Gallery: PrissyPixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
All those things are not because of a proper low carb diet. Either you are not following the plan correctly or you have other health issues.
What plan were you following when all this happened? What were you eating on a typical day?
Unfortunately some people just feel the effects different, I see this board has really changed because most of the post i've received so far seem to be by people in shock who cant believe its possibly happening lol... when i've been on lC on and off since 2006 and post like mine have always been the norm. Just the symptoms of LC... Ive tried every style of eating on LC high fat, high cal,.. high fat low cal,.. low cal, low fat.. everything organic, no diet soda or LC snacks.. even cutting out veggies, adding more veggies... all works the ame or worse... my go to meal was usually broccoli and cauliflower and some type of meat.. usually a fried pork chop or fried chciken breast... or a taco salad with more cheese and meat than letucce of corse lol... honestly those meals sound really good and appealing making me want to start lc again..
PrissyPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Gallery: PrissyPixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby! View Post
I disagree that only doing LC wrong causes issues. even done right, strict ketogenic low carb is not for everyone. While some people thrive and do beautify, some never get rid of the headaches, the feeling down and depressed and so on. Each of us is different. PrissyPixie, have you tried other things? Such as palio (with added root veggies) or counting both carbs calories without severely restricting carbs? (like south beach?) Wising you luck.
Thank You Abby! I have not tried south beach its something I should look into... I've decided I am going to go ahead and give LC another try.. I'll start on Friday night or Saturday morning So I wont have to deal so much with going into Ketosis while being on my feet all day at work
PrissyPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
GAVIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 909
Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
I personally feel better eating low carb, but everyone has different needs.

Re the hair loss -this is most likely not from low carb. Anytime their is drastic (a lot and/or fast) weight loss, hair loss can and often does occur. It is from the shock to your body as it adjusts to changes. And it does regrow.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Aleina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Argentina
Posts: 874
Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Prssy Pixie , I am not sure low carb is for you if you have your gall bladder removed . From what I understand is that you don't metabolise fats well thereafter. Speak to your doc before going on an lc diet again as it could well make you feel ill due to te GB removal.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
A'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 584
Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Prssy Pixie , I am not sure low carb is for you if you have your gall bladder removed . From what I understand is that you don't metabolise fats well thereafter. Speak to your doc before going on an lc diet again as it could well make you feel ill due to te GB removal.
I was also going to say this. Your gall bladder is where bile is stored and without it your body has a harder time digesting fats. SOME people are completely fine eating fats without a gall bladder, but I have also heard stories about others not being able to or having a lot of difficulty when eating fats. Check with your doctor.
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,793
Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Any diet can lead to hair loss because of the stress but the hair grows back over time. LC is actually one of the best for hair health because of the protein, fat, and nutrients.

It seems like you answered your own question-you say lc caused your hair issues, gallbladder, made you sick, etc. Obviously not a diet for you, especially since you say you had to refeed to lose any weight.

Your symptoms sound like a possible mineral/vitamin deficiency. Did you get enough salt and water? Those help a lot when it comes to dizziness and weakness and someone on lc shouldnt have those symptoms for long after starting induction.

I haven't seen many posts about being feeling so ill for so long. Sure there are the ones about the induction flu at the beginning, but nothing that is so severe or lasts so long. And, exercise can actually be energizing so you might want to try doing something on your days off.

Hope you find another diet that works better for you.
__________________
Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-06-2013 at 12:39 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 383
Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I'd suggest looking at the JUDD thread. It's been very effective for a lot of people who found LC to be either ineffective or unpleasant.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,349
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've been here for a long time, and I've seen many many people do well eating LC without a gallbladder. In fact, there was yet another thread about that maybe a month or two ago.

I've also seen some people not feel well, and I would agree that it's often because their electrolytes were out of whack. Making sure not to skimp on the salt and other minerals when first starting a ketogenic diet can help tremendously.

Hair loss is not the norm, but it's not unusual when one loses a lot of weight. It's a hormonal thing (and hormones are stored in fat cells, which are depleted in weight loss), not an LC thing.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
__________________
<-- Buddy
Ntombi: 5'6½" 40 years old
Started Atkins 8-23-02 325+
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-06-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
baileygirl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where The Green Grass Grows
Posts: 1,706
Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
In re to the hair loss, some meds can cause it. I am on a migraine control med and one of the side effects is hair loss. I would look into that too before I would blame LC eating. Just a thought!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,652
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think hair loss is more often hormonal. Could it have been your age and not low carbing?

I agree that lack of a gall bladder almost certainly isn't a big issue.

Induction flu is normally a few days, not months, and is now known to be sodium deficiency. So if you DO low carb, be sure not to be eating too low salt too.

You say pros and cons, but what pros do you attribute to low carb? I think low carbing is the best way to lose weight, but not for someone who is as prejudiced against it as you are. I just don't see how it can work for you when you are ready to blame any bad thing that happens on it.

I agree you are better off trying something else or else concentrating on not gaining any more weight and not worrying about losing at this point. good luck!
__________________
Often I don't come back to read threads where I've posted. If you want me to see something, please send me a private message. Thanks!

Last edited by ravenrose; 05-06-2013 at 02:45 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,704
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
You don't have to do induction to begin a Low carb woe, although your weight loss will be slower if you don't. I started my LC woe at 50 grams or less. Did that for more than a month till I began to grow into it, now averaging 30-35 grams a day. losing weight slower but very surely. Slower is ok w/me and it was worth it to me not to have to go through induction again, and to be more satisfied as I worked towards my goal.

However even at 50 grams a day or less, I did experience Ketosis Flu. But not badly at all, and only for about a week or so, and then it was gone. Although I will say I'm more prone to headaches on this woe, nothing serious, just there more than it was before I started it.

I agree w/some of the posters above who suggested South Beach Diet. It is a bit more forgiving, w/a larger variety of allowed foods.

The truth is no matter what you do, you're going to have to give up some of your eating
habits. The idea is to pick the woe that represents the least amount of pain for you, that you can stick to without being miserable. I'm thinking it isn't Low carb for you.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!
 
suzanneyea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10,793
Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I do not have a gall bladder, and I eat zero carb, very high fat. No issues.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Pami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 27,310
Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Prssy Pixie , I am not sure low carb is for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Obviously not a diet for you, especially since you say you had to refeed to lose any weight.

Hope you find another diet that works better for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I'd suggest looking at the JUDD thread. It's been very effective for a lot of people who found LC to be either ineffective or unpleasant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
You say pros and cons, but what pros do you attribute to low carb? I think low carbing is the best way to lose weight, but not for someone who is as prejudiced against it as you are. I just don't see how it can work for you when you are ready to blame any bad thing that happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I'm thinking it isn't Low carb for you.
I agree- you don't belong on a LC woe. You might try JUDDD or South Beach
or maybe just lower calories. I don't think you're the type that can do well
with the restrictions we have accepted as part of daily life.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I agree with what everyone else has already said. I would just like to also comment on the long-term outlook. Since you've already tried low-carb dieting in the past and you've quit because you had negative experiences with the process, even if the diet *works* for you this time, what would be your motivation to stick with the plan for long-term maintenance? If the *only* reason you would follow a low-carb plan is to lose weight because you feel desperate, when you've lost the weight, you will also lose your daily motivation to stick with the eating plan. When you no longer feel desperate -- and if you hate the diet or if the diet makes you feel bad -- it would take superhuman strength to stick with the plan and maintain your losses. You've already proven through your experiences what happens when you lose a lot of weight (50 pounds) and eventually get "fed up" with the lifestyle.

I know it isn't easy to find a diet that you will enjoy AND that will reduce your bodyfat. But with regard to your long-term goals, it seems to me like it would be in your best interest to decide what you enjoy eating -- and what you feel good/healthy eating -- then find a diet plan that best fits those preferences. A diet -- any diet -- is only going to work for you when you're able to live with it.

With regard to the issues of illness and "induction flu," maybe there were more posts on the forum about people feeling bad in past years because the information about taking more electrolytes is more widespread now than it was back then...?
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
Ok, first... I think its entirely wrong to blame low carb for your gallbladder problem. Do a little google search to find the risk factors for having gallstones - female, overweight, around age forty, being of child bearing age. Furthermore, rapid weight loss ON ANY DIET is a risk factor for developing gallbladder problems. So I think its entirely unfair to blame low carb.

Hair loss is also a problem with rapid weight loss ON ANY DIET... not just low carb.

It sounds like you were doing a very strict diet and ran into complcations with hair loss and feeling weak, dizzy, horrible...
I would recommend doing a diet that allows you to eat a little more, and is not as strict, and settling for slower rates of weight loss. (and not getting frustrated when the weight loss is slow)

You need to pick a diet that you think you can live with. Atkins style low carb isnt for everyone. If you want to do weight watchers or JUDDD or some other diet, the most important thing for your health at this point is to find ANY diet and stick with it.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
MelNouveau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 481
Gallery: MelNouveau
Stats: 335/287/220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I agree with what everyone else has already said. I would just like to also comment on the long-term outlook. Since you've already tried low-carb dieting in the past and you've quit because you had negative experiences with the process, even if the diet *works* for you this time, what would be your motivation to stick with the plan for long-term maintenance? If the *only* reason you would follow a low-carb plan is to lose weight because you feel desperate, when you've lost the weight, you will also lose your daily motivation to stick with the eating plan. When you no longer feel desperate -- and if you hate the diet or if the diet makes you feel bad -- it would take superhuman strength to stick with the plan and maintain your losses. You've already proven through your experiences what happens when you lose a lot of weight (50 pounds) and eventually get "fed up" with the lifestyle.

I know it isn't easy to find a diet that you will enjoy AND that will reduce your bodyfat. But with regard to your long-term goals, it seems to me like it would be in your best interest to decide what you enjoy eating -- and what you feel good/healthy eating -- then find a diet plan that best fits those preferences. A diet -- any diet -- is only going to work for you when you're able to live with it.

With regard to the issues of illness and "induction flu," maybe there were more posts on the forum about people feeling bad in past years because the information about taking more electrolytes is more widespread now than it was back then...?
Very well put!

I think the best diet is the one that you can be happy with and continue doing. LC is very effective and beneficial for a lot of people, but it is by no means the only way to lose weight/feel better and it's not going to be a perfect fit for everyone. I would advise you to look into other options and find something that you feel better about. I had to do something similar when I realized that LC and I just weren't meant to be (no matter how many times I tried to force it.).

Either way, going into any diet with a defeated frame of mind or feeling like you just have to suffer through it isn't likely to help you all that much in the long run. You deserve to find success and feel good! The right path is out there for you...keep your chin up.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck!
__________________
~Melissa~

Back in the saddle goal: 220
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w88MQBN/weight.png
MelNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 914
Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Finding the right diet and lifestyle that allows you to reverse the process of fat accumulation is definitely a challenge. I know for myself LC, but more specifically NK is the diet right now that is working for me. I can lose weight on a diet higher in carbs, but for me it is much more difficult as I have to wrestle with issues such as snacking, bingeing and extreme hunger between meals. But it wasn't just going LC, I also had to reduce the amount of exercise I was doing, because it was also aggravating my hunger urges and making it difficult for me to under eat to a level where I could lose weight comfortably. It took me years to find a diet/lifestyle that eventually worked for me, and turned me from a fat person into a thin person, without the stress of worrying about the return of weight gain. It was not an easy process. Just keep trying and eventually you will find something that works 8)
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,566
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think you need to be more concerned about your health than you weight. It sounds like you may have several health issues. Maybe try reading Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight by Linda Bacon. Figuring out a way to be healthier - no matter what you weigh - is really more important, IMHO, than losing weight just to lose weight. Because if you are not committed for life then losing weight will just lead to rebound weight gain, as it sounds like you know. I stopped dieting for years because I was afraid of getting bigger. It was only when my DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that I realized I need to do this for my health, regardless of what I weigh. So I will continue to eat LC whether I lose weight nor not, because it is best for my health given that I have PCOS and insulin resistance. The weight loss is a great bonus. So start with working on your health and find a way of eating (not a diet) that you can stick to - long term. If the weight comes off, so be it, but work on your health first.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 05-07-2013 at 06:28 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member
 
lisamt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 534
Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think you need to be more concerned about your health than you weight. It sounds like you may have several health issues. Maybe try reading Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight by Linda Bacon. Figuring out a way to be healthier - no matter what you weigh - is really more important, IMHO, than losing weight just to lose weight. Because if you are not committed for life then losing weight will just lead to rebound weight gain, as it sounds like you know. I stopped dieting for years because I was afraid of getting bigger. It was only when my DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that I realized I need to do this for my health, regardless of what I weigh. So I will continue to eat LC whether I lose weight nor not, because it is best for my health given that I have PCOS and insulin resistance. The weight loss is a great bonus. So start with working on your health and find a way of eating (not a diet) that you can stick to - long term. If the weight comes off, so be it, but work on your health first.
That is a great book, and helped me realize that I don't have to get thin to benefit from eating low carb. I've read that reducing body weight by only 10% can improve health even if you are still very overweight. I still want to lose weight for vanity's sake though!
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,704
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
That is a great book, and helped me realize that I don't have to get thin to benefit from eating low carb. I've read that reducing body weight by only 10% can improve health even if you are still very overweight. I still want to lose weight for vanity's sake though!
I agree w/Mistizoom in every way, as a half year ago I got a diagnosis of borderline Diabetes 2. That really shook me. I realized it was no longer just a matter of vanity, but of my health. It was fear for my health over vanity that got me started again on a LC woe.

BUT, I also have to say that weight loss is not just a matter of vanity. No matter how you slice it, you're going to be healthier, more energetic, and better off with less pounds on you. Maybe some people can be overweight and healthy, but not most of us.

As my brother, a cardiologist, said to me, "Lose the excess weight. Period. Do it in any way that works for you, and that you can stick with. Excess weight is a significant issue when it comes to your health."

It's not just a matter of your blood sugar or blood pressure, it's also a matter of the weight you are putting on all you joints, and all those structural parts of your body you depend on to move easily. These things deteriorate w/age as it is, but adding excess weight speeds the process.

We don't need to be skinny, or even slim. But we do need to be less than overweight if we want to go into our older age with more comfort, more energy, and more ability to move freely. And moving freely and more easily will one day determine how long we can remain independent. All good reasons to get started now.

Losing weight is not just about vanity. Some day it will be about how well we can function. And I don't say any of this as a lecture to anyone more than I say it to myself.

This is why I realize I must lose weight, in addition to getting better tests at the Drs. office. I will NEVER be skinny, and I suspect even my slim days are long over. But coming in at less than overweight? That's doable and necessary if you want to remain independent for as long as you can.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member
 
mttemple4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
Gallery: mttemple4
Fabulous post, Blue Skies!
mttemple4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!
 
kimberlyann11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,072
Gallery: kimberlyann11
Yet, everyone is an individual and genetics also come into play.
kimberlyann11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Gallery: PrissyPixie
So I've decided to try LC again thank you all for your post... I tied to do it without LC but my job and friends just won't allow me im now 270 pounds and counting.... So I've decided to start LC tomorrow..but not with induction, Im not going through that... Im starting at 40-50 carbs max...LC will help eliminate snacking and eating out, which is what I really need to do, I plan to incorporate exercise too.... let the adventure begin lol
PrissyPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.