Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrissyPixie View Post
So I've decided to try LC again thank you all for your post... I tied to do it without LC but my job and friends just won't allow me im now 270 pounds and counting.... So I've decided to start LC tomorrow..but not with induction, Im not going through that... Im starting at 40-50 carbs max...LC will help eliminate snacking and eating out, which is what I really need to do, I plan to incorporate exercise too.... let the adventure begin lol
Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress.

And be advised that if you do get induction flu, drink broth, get Powerade Zero or some other electrolyte restorer, salt your food liberally and drink a whole lot of water. I wish I had been a little bit better prepared with that information when I went started. (Also, magnesium can be helpful.)
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Good luck prissypixie!
It is good to look on it as an adventure.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missmarple
Stats: (272)257/238/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: July 2, 2013
wow, what an interesting thread. I didnt know a lot of this. I just had my gall bladder out a month ago. I started ProteinPower a week ago and so far no problems although I am trying not to eat too much even of the allowed foods, keeping my protein at 80g a day or near there. carbs under 30. however the doc just recently gave me a new b/p med and i started on it about the same time I started on LC. and I was instructed not to eat too much salt. so I have been avoiding foods like sausage and not using the salt shaker. so far I feel good. I am taking magnesium and potassium and VitC. other than that I eat fish meat and veggies. I didnt know about hair falling out or possibel problems with having had my gallbladder out...but as long as I am feeling fine, I think I will just continue on as I am doing.
missmarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missmarple
Stats: (272)257/238/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: July 2, 2013
PrissiePixie I hope you will do well on LC but if you do have problems, there are other plans out there that you may do well on. goodluck!
missmarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Regarding hair loss. I have always shed hair when I shed pounds. It's a natural part of the process for me. Even though I went through menopause as I was losing this time, my hair is growing back very well. Better than ever!

Oh, and as for the salt, I should have made clear that people on blood pressure medication should check with their doctor about upping sodium. That's nothing to fool around with.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Like all things in life , there is a trade off . Low carb effects everybody differently . For some the weight loss and the positive effects outweigh the symptoms. For some- they aren't significant enough to bother which is why even within the low carb community you will find many different programs.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

We don't need to be skinny, or even slim. But we do need to be less than overweight if we want to go into our older age with more comfort, more energy, and more ability to move freely. And moving freely and more easily will one day determine how long we can remain independent. All good reasons to get started now.

Losing weight is not just about vanity. Some day it will be about how well we can function. And I don't say any of this as a lecture to anyone more than I say it to myself.

This is why I realize I must lose weight, in addition to getting better tests at the Drs. office. I will NEVER be skinny, and I suspect even my slim days are long over. But coming in at less than overweight? That's doable and necessary if you want to remain independent for as long as you can.
This is spot on! Being a senior and having lost weight this last year has made such a positive difference in the quality of my life. Along with low carb, I can attest that some sort of IF is very helpful. Personally, 16 hour IF, Fast Diet or 5:2 works great for me. I think Juddd sounds awesome too.

Good luck!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oct2667us
Stats: 290/290/199
Start Date: re start 1/6/2014
I had my gall bladder out years ago and I do great on low carb .
oct2667us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Anyone know why VLC causes hair loss? While I do not really lose any better nor eat less on VLC , I too lose hair when eating VLC as I am now. Been at this a while but each time I consistently stay VLC, I have terrible hair loss but I never really shock my system as I have been LC for the past three years. Again, I am eating VLC for other reasons other that weight loss and certainly am not losing weight nor cutting calories (eating NK) but hair is flying off my head!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Google Dr. Eades and hair loss. He has a great explanation on his blog about why this happens. It's not just VLC, it can happen on any weight loss program. I had it happen on weight watchers too.

Mine is now growing back better than ever. (I'm also taking biotin and evening primrose oil to help.)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
I'm finding that my hair is growing much better now that I'm doing low-carb. I've always had very fine hair, which gives it a look of being thin to begin with, but it's gotten healthier over the course of the three months when I started LC. I also take biotin (and have been for years) but I didn't really notice it helping much until LC-ing. I'm going to have to look into evening primrose--I love good supplements. :-)

I'm not sure what a refeed is..but, there are times when I DO up my carbs because of a birthday, or a gathering, or a TOM craving (never completely out of control, but enough to knock me out of Ketosis) and then I actually lose faster the next few days. If I go up 3 pounds on, I'll lose those 3 and another 3 more quickly. I'm not advocating for carb binges, but I definitely think that there is some truth to tricking the body out of routine.

I'd done LC before and I lost around 35 pounds..and then I stopped, gained it back plus some, and gave up on it for about two years. This time, it's not so much about the vanity issue--for me it truly became a health issue. I don't have any kiddo's yet, but I did recently get married, and one day, I just got this incredible fear that my husband and I wouldn't make it to see 50 if something didn't change.

I'm about 30 pounds down with Induction (my highest weight was 276, but I started LC at 268. Now I'm down to 242). I've added in some extra carbs here and there with nuts, cottage cheese, etc) but I like to really stick around 15-20 carbs. I find my lowest loss days are when I don't eat enough CALORIES, because I will lose my appetite and not fight myself to up them..and then I'll eat butter garlic chicken wings and things get going much faster.

I'm finding that it's not just about no carbs and tons of protein..it truly is a ratio. Once you find your optimum one, it should be easier. It's trial and error til then, but I think LC is a diet that most people can do, even if they don't believe they can. A lot of it IS will power, certainly. The other part is education I think--because there are so many ways to eliminate unnecessary carbs that most naysayers don't understand. I've always been a chubby bunny, but I never realized how excessive my carb intake was until I started tracking them and making an honest effort to look at what I was giving my body.

I also think that WATER IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY WEIGHT LOSS REGIMENS. So make sure you're giving your body enough to filter out the wastes.

Good luck! Give yourself credit when it's due. The desire is there-and that's half the battle. It's not about how wonderful you look, it's about how wonderful you feel--and if LC doesn't do that for you long term, then I'd say peruse some other options, tweak some things here and there, and regardless of what diet you choose, track track track your intake so you can hold yourself accountable and keeping you working toward your goal.

:-)
Grateful_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Yes, by all means ....Let the adventure begin!
and it is an adventure to change your diet, exercise habits, and in my case at least my whole outlook changed as well.
the one thing I have become absolutely certain of is that when it comes to all things related to our metabolism,,,YMMV.
Some people do well with high fat, others low fat, some can eat all the high cholesterol foods they want and a perfect lipid profile, some can be healthy and fat..some can eat anything they want and never gain a pound....the list of variables is endless.
That is why it is important to keep trying. You will find the diet/lifestyle that keeps you trim, fit and healthy. for some it takes a little more doing than for others, but it's there for everyone who seeks.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Lots of really great posts here. Our bodies are so unique and it makes sense that there is no one way of eating that is right for everyone. When I low carb with only carbs coming from low carb vegies, I start feeling fantastic from about day 3. The first few days I sort of lack energy as my body is making the shift, but then I have plenty. My mood improves. My hair and skin look fabulous! I feel mentally alert.

On weight watchers or low fat calorie controlled diets, I feel awful and am always hungry. I'm grumpy, irritable and need to take afternoon naps just to get through the day.

I have family members who are exactly the opposite. They thrive on WW and feel horrible on LC.

Listen to your body. You want to find a WOE that you can live with because if it makes you feel awful and you're miserable on it, the odds of you being successful are slim. Good luck to you.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrissyPixie View Post
So I've decided to try LC again thank you all for your post... I tied to do it without LC but my job and friends just won't allow me im now 270 pounds and counting.... So I've decided to start LC tomorrow..but not with induction, Im not going through that... Im starting at 40-50 carbs max...LC will help eliminate snacking and eating out, which is what I really need to do, I plan to incorporate exercise too.... let the adventure begin lol
Wishing you health and wellness!

I did want to mention, if you haven't already, that perhaps a visit to an endocrinologist or OB/gyn is needed. I can't tell your age, but your constellation of symptoms speak to issues common with middle aged women. Thyroid, other hormonal issues, etc can complicate health and weight loss.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Had my GB taken out before ever trying LC and I have no issues.

My hair did thin but like everybody said not from Lc but from losing weight period!! Botin has helped with the hair issues.

Losing weight is a struggle no matter what you do (LC, WW or Paleo)!!! I have bad days and have good day but DO NOT give up-I think that is key!!!

Good luck!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Low carb isn't my preferred choice of eating. I'm only doing it because it's easy and I know it works for me. I lost weight before on it, went off it but maintained and came back to lose the rest. Of course my experience isn't typical because most people go off low carb then binge like crazy and gain it back plus more.

I've experienced the hair loss.. in my experience I had to supplement with calcium/magnesium and biotin as someone else said. I haven't found a hair/nails supplement yet that I liked the ingredients of or that impressed me. This is my other complaint about low carb..I have to supplement more than I did on any other diet. I'm not a fan of eating cheese which seems to be the thing you can eat that is high in calcium. I like a certain kind straight from a certain farm but it's a drive to go get it and not worth it to have to eat so much of it a day. There is calcium in greens but I can't eat pounds of salad or broccoli a day. I used to juice greens but that got expensive and old.

Faint/Dizzy sounds like low blood sugar and usually goes away after the first few days. You might be cutting carbs way too low if that is still a problem. That 20 and under "Atkins" style sure isn't for everyone.

My energy came gradually. The first few days of being in ketosis I'm drained. Seemed like I gradually got more stamnia.

Diet soda and all those fake foods are crap and stall most people. It's addicting. If you can't break those kind of addictions then you'll probably never lose weight and that could be your biggest problem. Most people have to wean themselves off. I've never really "Stalled" but it's because I don't really eat fake foods. Eventually you have to get to the point where enough is enough and sick of being overweight and all the cons that come with that.. and then giving up something like diet soda is easy. It's also a few bucks extra in your bank account everyday not being blown on soda.

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 07-10-2013 at 06:24 PM..
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #47
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrissyPixie
So is it worth having my hair fall out, feeling sick like im going to pass out, having to refeed every month, going through ketosis... no bread.. wondering if diet soda or sugar free candy is stalling you etc...
Only you can make the decision and it sounds like you already have.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote